DINO GT Hand Brake Adjustment | FerrariChat

DINO GT Hand Brake Adjustment

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by elias amiouni, Jul 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. elias amiouni

elias amiouni Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    BEIRUT,LEBANON
    Full Name:
    ELIAS AMIOUNI
    Hi , I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to adjust the hand brake on a 1973 series "E" DINO 246 GT. Apparently tightening the cable by itself doesn't do the job and there is an adjustment on the caliper itself which needs to be carried out and my manual does not show this procedure.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You don't have page 133 in your copy of the 246GT/GTS WSM? The Italiano to English translation is somewhat lacking, but it does describe the mechanical adjustment of adjustment nut "1".

3. elias amiouni

elias amiouni Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    BEIRUT,LEBANON
    Full Name:
    ELIAS AMIOUNI
    Hi Steve , thank you for your input. I do have the manual, but page 133 describes the adjustment for a different type of caliper. Mine has the later type caliper with the adjusting nut on the side which has a plastic cover over it.

4. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Just checked the 246 SPC, and that later type rear caliper looks identical to 308 - so the adjustment screw and locknut for the outer pad is under that plastic cover (which unscrews - remove plastic cover, loosen locknut, then turning the female hex adjustment screws moves the outer pad in and out). On the inboard side of the caliper, there is a corresponding metal cover with a female hex drive -- once removed, this gives access to the inboard adjustment screw female hex that moves the inboard pad in and out. If you search the 308 section, there should be many prior threads regarding these adjustments (a common problem is the female hex of the inboard cover is easily stripped out so there is a Porsche aftermarket replacement inboard cover made of stainless steel, rather than aluminum, that has a larger male hex drive).

5. elias amiouni

elias amiouni Rookie

Aug 22, 2012
    BEIRUT,LEBANON
    Full Name:
    ELIAS AMIOUNI
    Thank you Steve , that makes sense to me now . Will give it a try this weekend and will let you know . i do appreciate the time you have taken to help me out.

6. GordonC

GordonC F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 28, 2005
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Gordon
    Also of help - PMB Performance https://www.pmbperformance.com is a Porsche brakes specialty shop for 911 and 914 brakes, with support for Ferrari 308 brakes as well (front calipers are common with 80s 911, and rear calipers are same as 914-6 GT).

Their FAQ page has specific instructions for adjusting inner and outer pads on 308 rear calipers https://www.pmbperformance.com/faq-common-questions.html

You refurbished a pair of 914-6 (this applies to 914-4 and Ferrari 308's as well) calipers for me a little over a year ago but I am just getting around to adjusting the pad to rotor distance for the e-brake. I loosened the 13 mm nut with your special tool but using it and a 4mm allen head I get no change in clearance at all. I turn but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
    First, let's make sure we get the directions for each adjuster down pat:
    Outer Adjuster:
    Clockwise - Pulls the piston (and pad) in and away from the rotor.
    Counter - Clockwise - Pushes the piston (and pad) out and toward the rotor.
    Inner Adjuster (this is driven by a gear that makes all actions reverse from above):
    Clockwise - Pushes the piston (and pad) out and toward the rotor.
    Counter - Clockwise - Pulls the piston (and pad) in and away from the rotor.
    Adjusters can become tight (like a drywall screw in a stud) after sitting. Once this happens, the internal mechanism (in the piston itself) is spinning with the adjuster and, nothing happens. The best principle we've found is, short bursts with a high speed air wrench. Air wrenches are almost instant velocity. This velocity will overcome the weight of the adjuster mechanism and break the adjuster free allowing you to adjust your pistons again. Make sure you are spinning in the direction to loosen the part meaning "pushing the piston out". Tightening will only further exasperate the situation.
    If you do not have a high speed air wrench, a drill can work as well. If all else fails, send them in and we'll break everything free, give them a clean bill of health and send them back.​

7. absostone

absostone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 28, 2008
    pads should be set to .004'' adjusters are 4mm hex