2019 British GP pre-race thread | Page 2 | FerrariChat

2019 British GP pre-race thread

Discussion in 'F1' started by DF1, Jul 8, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Jack-the-lad likes this.
  2. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    Does the Honda sports a lift kit?

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I think I can make it awkward enough to get in that I enjoy giving lifts enough...... course, the fat/ugly ones will have to walk to the salon, the Honda definitely has a weight limit - 8 stone, and no more! :)

4. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    ...your Honour!!!

Think I’ll give it a miss; just looks like too much hassle as the closest offsite parking is over a mile away and it’s walking all the way. I’ll sit on the sofa at home with a cold one!

Silverstone really need to sort their website as all this info is buried!

daytona355 likes this.
  5. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    They are a pain. If you contact your ferrari dealer, they may have tickets left they can sell you. They get allocated tickets every year for races, and have to buy them regardless. If the take up isn’t great, they usually sell them at a loss just to get some return for their layout - worth a shot. Most years Carrs have had tickets available, sometimes going for a song, sometimes still expensive!

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

A348W likes this.
  6. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    The other thing to do is to check with local hotels, the larger ones. They usually have shuttles to take guests in and out of the circuit, so if you parked there, you may be able to cadge a lift (a few sheckles to the driver) which would probably be better anyway as you wouldn’t be in the traffic in your own car getting hot

Forza Ferrari..... the only racing team and car marque that matters. Italia forever It’s easier to apologise than it is to ask permission

7. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ve messaged you, please can you get back to me urgently, I can hook you up for something awesome!!!

8. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    DF1 and daytona355 like this.
  9. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    During my racing years 86-89 I lived near Silverstone in Potterspury village. You could actually hear the F1 cars when they were testing, no other cars made enough noise to be heard that far (about 5kms as the crow flies) On Grand Prix day I would order a local taxi and tell him to go through the back roads towards the circuit, guiding him as I knew them well. Usually it was a taxi driver from ex British colonies who did not even know there was a race on and he would wonder why there were all these helicopters passing above...then eventually we would reach the back of the queue a mile or half a mile from one of the circuit entrances and he would go: "Holy Pappadom wat ees thees traffic jam?!"
    I would just pay up, advise him to make a U turn and I continued on foot to the circuit:)

spotja and daytona355 like this.
  10. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    Yes try the big Milton Keynes hotels or the helicopter companies that do (or at least used to arrange paid short hops from a few miles away) I did that to Brands Hatch Grand Prix of Europe in 1983, that was arranged by BMW UK.

daytona355 likes this.
  11. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144718/new-williams-bargeboard-package-revealed

Williams has arrived at Silverstone with a new bargeboard package for the British Grand Prix, as it seeks to reinvigorate a difficult Formula 1 season at its home race.

The team has struggled to define its development path throughout the season so far, and new parts have come as something of a premium throughout 2019.

For the British GP, the team has redefined the turning vane package around the sidepod inlet, with a new upper element (yellow arrow), as shown in Giorgio Piola's photo.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Previously, the element was of a consistent curvature, and bridged the transition to the vertical turning vane - but now, these two parts have been split.

The leading edge now sweeps downward, before curving back up towards the outboard edge, but further down the chord length it sweeps upwards more dramatically.

This suggests a more concerted effort to take airflow from lower down, closer to the inlet aperture, and working it harder to bring it over the top of the sidepod.

Meanwhile, the curved ends will generate some degree of tip vortex, but the upward curling of the outboard section can determine the placement of this vortex.

In a normal, horizontal wing element, the tip vortex is created as a result of the high pressure air on top and the low pressure air underneath coalescing, creating a larger and more unruly flow structure.

By creating that curl, the difference in pressure zones are not nearly as large, and so any vortex generated is a lot tighter-knit.

This can then wash over the sidepod and move towards the rear, where the properties of that flow structure are useful.

This ties in with a new mirror assembly (red arrow), which features a new aerodynamic shroud around it - not dissimilar to the shroud around the mirror design it used in pre-season testing.

Concerns over this mirror - which was curved in shape and was problematic for the drivers' rear-view vision - led to a hasty redesign for the season opener in Australia.

This has now been redeveloped, sending laminar airflow downwards to trim the low pressure region developed by the mirrors, which minimises the overall drag.

Renault, Mercedes and Red Bull use similar mirror designs to reduce their impact on the overall aerodynamics package.

A348W likes this.
  12. P.Singhof

P.Singhof F1 Rookie

Apr 19, 2006
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Peter Singhof
    I think as long as Lewis is driving they should be OK... but when Lewis quits and they both have a long lasting contract they might run into trouble. Same happened to Hockenheim and Nürburgring when Schumacher left

375+ and daytona355 like this.
  13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    We'll all be backing Lando and George by then, life moves on.
    Though I'll be backing Charles and...who, I wonder ?

DF1 likes this.
  14. DF1

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/144724/the-lowdownforce-tricks-for-highspeed-silverstone

As the journey to Silverstone is short for most Formula 1 teams, bringing new parts is not nearly as complex as shipping them to far-flung corners of the Earth.

Even as early as Thursday, new developments appeared on a smattering of cars, and were unable to escape the scrutinising gaze of Giorgio Piola's camera as they went to be inspected by the FIA's technical delegates.

These are just a selection of the early sightings in the British Grand Prix paddock, showcasing the different requirements the Silverstone race presents compared to the Austrian Grand Prix just a fortnight ago.

Silverstone's lower-downforce wing club
    Owing to Silverstone's high-speed nature, and the two long straights in particular, there's the opportunity to run lower wing angles as low-speed downforce is less of a consideration.

While not quite Monza-spec, it pays to trim off some wing to boost the overall performance of the car on the straights and in the higher-speed sections of the track. By getting even braver with the position of the rear wing mainplane, teams can also improve the overall effectiveness of DRS, but that poses a greater risk of losing traction on the exit of corners like Luffield and Club.

Renault was spotted with a lower-downforce configuration, as seen in Giorgio Piola's image (above), where the leading edge rises in the centre to ease the transition from the swan-neck mounting to the mainplane.

Red Bull has retained the wing angles that it ran in Austria, which were also at a mid-to-low downforce level to maximise straight-line performance. That's been complimented with a lower-camber mainplane to inhibit drag.

So far in 2019, Red Bull has frequently run back-to-back rear wing comparisons between its two drivers in order to best assess the lowest level of downforce it can get away with. Although the angles used between the two cars are visually similar, Max Verstappen's car (right) appeared to be without the Gurney flap (yellow arrow) applied to the trailing edge when seen in scrutineering, but this was spotted on Pierre Gasly's car (left).

Although this appears to be an extension of the back-to-back running Red Bull has conducted, this could also be an effort to add a smidgen of extra rear-end downforce to Gasly's car, with a view to improving his confidence in the car.

At its core, a Gurney flap creates a rolling vortex in front of it to boost downforce, while shedding two counter-rotating vortices behind it which ultimately minimise the drag penalty.

British summer cuts cooling
    After a surprisingly scorching Austrian Grand Prix weekend, most were hoping for a far more clement affair at Silverstone - and the lingering clouds above the paddock on Thursday suggested that would be the case.

Temperatures over the British GP weekend are not expected to tickle the mercury above 21C, and so the cooling requirements are not anywhere near as drastic as they were two weeks ago at the Red Bull Ring.

Mercedes has been able to drop its cooling outlet behind the halo attachment points, and the bodywork in this area consists of several removable panels to ensure adjustability. Furthermore, the vent next to that attachment point has been partially closed off.

Racing Point sharpens up aero
    With the changes to the prescribed endplate designs for 2019, teams are very much restricted with what they can do. Last year's endplates were able to control the airflow quite considerably, but the newest generation of designs seem to be operating on a less-is-more policy.

Racing Point has taken that to a new extreme, and fits in with the most recent developments in redefining the footplate. The latter half has been largely cut out, presumably to develop an earlier outwash effect.

The footplate still develops and squashes a small vortex underneath, which rolls up underneath, but is then let go much sooner than usual. That is then drawn outward into the ambient air, presumably trying to pitch it around the front wheel from a further-forward position.

Alfa Romeo has also redefined its front-end geometry, becoming the latest of a number of teams to attempt a cape-style addition to the nose.

This aims to improve the aero balance by adding a little more front-end downforce, while also aiding the link-up to the strakes underneath the chassis bulkhead, leading to the bargeboards.

15. DF1

Ahead of the British Grand Prix, changes have been made to the Silverstone track to prevent drivers from exploiting track limits.

The circuit has always had gravel traps, something which can’t be said for too many tracks on the calendar these days, and has elected to add more.

Not only has the pre-existing gravel trap at Turn 7 been increased, but gravel has also been added at Turns 11 and 12, replacing the tarmac that was there before.

Not a fake news: The gravel trap has been increased in exit T7. Now, they can't drive off track. pic.twitter.com/ZfSstt9YDh

— Albert Fabrega (@AlbertFabrega) July 10, 2019

As well as gravel traps, additional kerbs and humps have been placed at Turns 7, 9, 14 and 17.

All of this has been done to ensure that drivers don’t gain an advantage by exploiting track limits, something which has been an issue at other tracks such as Paul Ricard.

With such extensive measures taken, expect to see some cars beached in gravel or damaged by kerbs in the coming days…

https://www.planetf1.com/f1-races/british-grand-prix/changes-made-to-silverstone-track/

william likes this.
  16. daytona355

BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Only if lando and George drive for ferrari, otherwise they can push right off. Charles is the man of the future, let’s see who partners him next season, and the one after, before deciding on whether they deserve tifosi adulation or not

17. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Good move by Silverstone.
    I wish more tracks do the same and replace tarmac run-offs by gravel traps, also install less forgiving kerbs.
    It's about time the track limits abuses are stopped !!

Bas likes this.