Track day noise levels | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Track day noise levels

Discussion in 'Tracking & Driver Education' started by MaxR, Jun 8, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. truthfighter

truthfighter Rookie

Mar 24, 2018
    Full Name:
    truth teller
    they recently lower it to 92db. lift + shift all the way to the left side wouldn't help now. damn it , those people buy house near race track and complain about the noise.

2. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Since I live close to the Hockenheimring (7miles) I was curious about the maximum noise level. It's 98db.
    In former years I could hear the F1 cars through the open windows (and see them on TV).
    The noise limit on the Nürburgring is 130db!!! but Jim's SGC003 was still too loud.

3. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was short shifting the Scud and cruising with no problems at Laguna Seca today but on my second session I kept my foot in it a small amount as I was letting an M3 go by. I got the meatball flag. Scared the heck out of me. I was looking for leaks, high temps and tires rubbing.

4th gear @7000 rpms =. 95.3.

I cruised by there next session and skipped the last one with “Trackmasters “. Good time at the track. Image Unavailable, Please Login

I wonder how the 488 did out there today— he went by me easily a couple times.

4. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    You can't possibly be serious.

Bundy likes this.
  5. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    I know of many tracks that limit the sound level. I recently learned that Lime Rock is 88 db. That sounds ridiculously low, but one has to take into account the location of the detection device. Regardless of that, for many virtually stock vehicles, when you have full throttle the exhaust bypass valves are generally open and it is quite possible that the car is too loud (e.g., a 458) and it gets flagged.

I have been having a discussion with a gentleman who makes what he calls, the Track Nanny. This device is made to work on Porsche motorcars and it is a GPS based device that opens and closes the car's exhaust bypass valves based on the GPS location of the track noise monitors. For example ... open valves in those areas where noise is not monitored and closed valves where noise is monitored. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Very cool concept and it seems to have a following in the Porsche community. As many of you know, many Porsche's have the PSE option which provides a degree of manual control over the exhaust bypass valves. Ferrari's do not have this user interface.

I reached out to the designer of this device asking him if it could be used in conjunction with the Forza Controller and he has indicated that he believes he can interface to the Forza controller to engage the Always Closed mode and the Always Open mode (or Normal mode) with the GPS feature of Track Nanny.

I do not have any business affiliation with Track Nanny and if anyone is interested in reaching out to him, send me a PM.

Steve

Steve

pdxjim488 likes this.
  6. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    That’s an awful idea and a way to burn tracks. Tracks have noise limits to get along with the neighbors and city laws. Finding ways to avoid playing fair hurts everyone in the long run all around. Many tracks also move these devices around and don’t tell you where they’re at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I was at Laguna Seca a few years ago for some racing classes and I seem to recall the cars did have mufflers. The cars were open wheel cars with small displacement so I was surprised about the mufflers.
    Then last year a went to a big Porsche event in September and all the cars were running wide open. So loud that the bridge to the infield would shake when the large displacement cars went under. So evidently at least at Laguna there are times when the noise restrictions are waived.
    Kind of interesting that the track was there way before there was any housing. Why they would put up scale housing next to a race track is beyond me or why anyone who was not in love with racing would buy there?:rolleyes:

8. stibbett

stibbett Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Simon Tibbett
    They get some waivers for some events. I know IMSA not sure what else.

That’s the story for most tracks. Developers build knowing they’ll complain after. Road Atlanta has been dealing with that for years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bundy likes this.
  9. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    This past weekend was the Laguna Seca PCA event with racing and time trials and it was a rare 103dB event. $800 too much for me .

Anybody go?

10. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I've been wearing ear plugs at the track since I was a kid. The roar is great but hour after hour it's not good for you. The same is true for really loud bars.

boxerman, Bundy and Manda racing like this.
  11. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yea— and really loud Basque Restaurants when the relatives from Italy show up— gotta be 115dB.
    Trump is coming to town this Wednesday. Non sequitar.

Bundy likes this.
  12. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    They have several different allowable levels with X # of days at different levels allowed by the local community. Track rental prices are based on what level you want. They reserve a couple of unlimited days for pro events.

Manda racing likes this.
  13. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yes — applies to Laguna Seca too. A couple 105dB club days coming up but mostly 90/92’s

14. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats what we were referring to.

15. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    I was invited to no limit track days next month at Laguna. I don't like having to use mufflers or turnouts. LOL

Manda racing likes this.
  16. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I was told my car was hitting 115 dB so I’ve never been back with the 935.

17. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Re: Maximum 95dB

I have some findings to report from last summer's sound testing.
    348tb, de-catted, Capristo Stage 3

94dB @ 50' sound meter location #1 (pass, barely)
    97dB @ 50' sound meter location #2 (fail)
    short-shifting at 6000RPM at location #2 resulted in a pass, barely

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  18. 72GMC

72GMC Karting

Aug 15, 2006
    Calgary, AB, Canada
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Correction,
    It's Capristo Sound #2

19. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Its just one of those things. on my track car when we went to new headers the old euro track setup went(new euro track cars come with cats). The muffler etc stayed but with proper equal length headers and no cats sound went up dramatically. Im sure one coudl design a setup to reduce that sound, but the cost would be significant weight, and of course development.

I just dont take the cup car to lrp other then very occasionally when there is an umuffled day there.
    Normally id just drive up there in the Na Elise on some r compounds, for shorter tracks the momentum car is great anyway.

the Glen where i mostly go no noise limit.

20. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    the way they measure it is different though. Last year I also got kicked out of the ring driving my F430 for blowing over 130db. 131 first day, 132 second day and 133 third day.
    Stock exhaust but with header

vraa likes this.
  21. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    Wow…even my racecars never got close to 130 dB. That’s seriously loud.

22. Andrie

Andrie Formula Junior

Mar 6, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Andrie Hartanto
    Depends on where they measured it. At LAGUNA the same car only hits 105db. The measurement they take at the ring is a lot closer and next to the wall so it bounce really good

Bundy likes this.
  23. Bundy

Bundy Formula 3

May 18, 2011
    Arizona & Kentucky
    Full Name:
    Anir
    That makes sense. At Laguna, they measured in turn 5 when I was there.

24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Any idea what the Dbs are for a stock Gt4rs and new z06?
    Would those cars pass at most tracks?

25. P1key

P1key Karting

Nov 9, 2022
    Full Name:
    Jeff Pike
    I got black flagged for drive-by noise limit at Bedford in a totally standard 360 that easily passed the static test! I had to short shift near where the mic was for the rest of the day, which was annoying :(