Running Oliver's Challenge Wheels with 430 Carbon Brakes | FerrariChat

Running Oliver's Challenge Wheels with 430 Carbon Brakes

Discussion in '360/430' started by AZHokie, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Hi All,

I just received a set of the Challenge wheels that Oliver produced:

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/just-about-to-order-challenge-wheels-for-2-500.576341/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/19-challenge-wheels-for-3-000.603184/

Apparently there are others running these on F430s with carbon ceramic brakes. I have installed the front wheels and while they are not touching the brake caliper, they are very close, I think probably around .5mm. If you running these wheels with carbon brakes, are you using spacers, or is the minimal gap thats present now ok? Also, if I need spacers, could I get something minimal (3mm?) and still use the same bolts sold with the wheels?

TIA for any input you can provide!

2. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Not sure about Oliver’s wheels but I run OEM 19’s with CCM’s and the fronts are very very close to the caliper too. Rears no problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

3. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    how close is very very close? I can slide four, maybe five pieces of paper between the wheel and caliper at closest point, but there's not enough space to slide my driver's license in between. I'm guessing its about .5 mm of gap..

4. RANDY6005

RANDY6005 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2017
    Jacksonville
    Full Name:
    RANDY
  5. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
  6. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    First, I am no expert so I am just thinking out loud and I am sure someone who knows more will respond. I get close and I can't tell by your pic how close they are but I would be hesitant about 0.5mm. Even the slightest wheel flex and you get a strike. Think track time and you run out onto the dragons teeth. That would not be pretty.

7. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    I track my 430 regularly and race others. If your wheels are flexing enough to cause an issue then your problem is the wheel, not the calliper. The gap on the fronts is about 2mm, rears are stock.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    f355spider likes this.
  9. Bob in Texas

Bob in Texas F1 Rookie

Apr 23, 2012
    Just East of Weird
    Full Name:
    Bob
  10. TheCook

TheCook Formula Junior

Oct 16, 2015
    Buckinghamshire
    Full Name:
    Ian
    Hmm. I misunderstood your question and was referring to the gap between calliper and wheel rim, not spoke. That looks pretty tight to me and I’d put spacers in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. rizzo308

rizzo308 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 12, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    riggio
    Wow that's tight. Spacer for sure 3mm.

12. brian0473

brian0473 Karting

Mar 14, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Might be worth talking to the gent you purchased them from to ensure this is as expected fitment.

13. FlyingHaggisRacing

FlyingHaggisRacing Formula 3

Jul 2, 2013
    It's not the wheel that will flex, it's the wheel bearing as it wears that will allow movement.
    Ask anyone who ran a Corvette GT3 what item they replaced every 6hrs of track time and what the wear on the break pads looked like as a result.

Wheels - Did you get Oliver's std offset or the special with the extra offset ?

14. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I believe the wheels I got are the standard offset.

Oliver is checking with the design engineers to see what they came up with, as the expectation was that the wheels should work fine without spacers. I think there is at least one person running these on a 430 with the CCB brakes and no spacers.

I went ahead and ordered 3mm spacers, which will be fine because the bolts are designed to support spacers up to 5mm. As it is now, it's just to close for me..

15. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Exactly why I said it was risky. Space less than the thickness of a credit card it much too close.

16. mathewr

mathewr F1 Rookie
    Sponsor Rossa Subscribed

Dec 7, 2011
    Deep in the Heart of Texas
    Full Name:
    Ferrari Wheel Guru
    Wow that is close.

I had some customs wheels on my car and a rock was lodged between the wheel and caliper and put a huge deep scratch the length of the caliper. I suppose that could happen on any car but It was so bad it caused me to have all four calipers stripped and repowder coated.

17. futureferraribuyer

futureferraribuyer Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2010
    I have F430 with carbon ceramic and challenge wheels from the factory. Got Oliver’s wheel but just opened the box to look and put them away. I will mount one this weekend and compare to the factory wheel on the other side. Looks scary close in pictures and I would be uncomfortable driving around in the the crappy road around here...

18. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
    As with you, I have an F430 with CCMs and have a set of Oliver's wheels to go on soon.

I thought there was only one offset offered. Would be good if this could be clarified by OP and/ or Oliver.

Please show us the spacers you purchase. At 3mm they will not be hubcentric so may cause vibration unless you can mount perfectly. Not a fix-all solution.

19. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I also went from factory challenge wheels to these, and the gap between the spoke and caliper is MUCH smaller on the new wheels without any modification.

As far as I know, there was no option for the additional offset wheels, I believe those were a one off that Oliver made for himself. The spacers I purchased are hub centric, I will post the link below. They look like they are good quality, but I did have to grind out two holes on each spacer to account for the guide pin and rotor bolt that sticks out. Here is the link to the spacers I used, Oliver mentioned someone else used them so I decided to order:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-3mm-Thick-Hub-Centric-Wheel-Spacers-5x108-5x114-3-67-1-CB-5-Lugs/132085535772?hash=item1ec0e9541c:g:mncAAOSw4DJYlNE6&frcectupt=true

Shipping to AZ was quick, I got them two days after ordering.

Also, below is a pic of the gap with the spacer on in the front, much better. I did NOT put spacers in the back..

20. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I will post an update about feel, vibration, etc. once I put some miles on the car, I'm hoping to get it out this afternoon for a ride..

21. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Also, here is a pic of the spacer on the hub, you can see they are hub centric, there is some hub left and the wheel will sit on the hub (barely) before the bolts are put in. You can also see the two holes I had to grind out with a file..

22. Jgivoo

Jgivoo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2016
    New Jersey
    If you use wheel mounting tool ( wheel hanger tool), then the wheels will slide up to the hub without worry about scraping your calipers. Then install wheel bolts. A very helpful tool. I got two from Sticky Rx. Excellent quality.
    Note: I am not affiliated with this company.

23. AZHokie

AZHokie Karting

Aug 20, 2016
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    So I haven’t gotten on it yet (it’s 112 in AZ today), but I did some driving this afternoon. No issues with the spacers as far as I can tell, and the wheels are great. The car definitely has a more agile feel on the new rims, but I’m sure having fresh rubber on them helps too. I’m impressed..

I went with pilot sport 4s, 235/35/19 in the front and 295/35/19 on the rears.

24. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    4S are just awesome, my favourite all around tire right now period.

brookliner7 likes this.
  25. Roger65

Roger65 Rookie

Aug 25, 2014

I just got mine installed today. I must say, they are really nice and make a HUGE difference in the way the car drives. And the looks as well. The car feels lighter and livelier. Steel brakes so obviously no problems there.