weird 458 speciale susspension feeling | FerrariChat

weird 458 speciale susspension feeling

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by umbertoo, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. umbertoo

umbertoo Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    jakub lominski
    Hello. I managed to buy factory new 458 Speciale 2015 month ago. I love the car, made around 1k miles so far. From the start I noticed that if I go over the bump a bit faster I can feel like shock absorber gone to an end, or like steering rod is loose. The same with holes in the road. Sometimes I can feel it on the left wheel sometimes on the right. I'm not going with high speed of course. I drove 458 Italia 2011 for couple months and never noticed such thing.

Anyone had similiar problem? Is it normal or should I pay a visit to service?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons and Ash Patel like this.
  2. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Have the same feeling / issue with my current Italia, did not have it on my first 458 (that one had the handling pack upgrade, not sure if that made any difference though).
    As you describe I can really feel the shocks hitting the bottom when going over a steep bump, especially with the bumpy road activated.

umbertoo likes this.
  3. umbertoo

umbertoo Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    jakub lominski
    Which year is your current Italia?

4. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I only have this problem with very crappy roads, typically at speed higher than 40 mph, no problem at lower speed tho. And yes, in both 458 coupe and spider did not have this problem. If it's a bigger pothole would make a loud sound like the suspension gonna shoot thru the roof.

umbertoo likes this.
  5. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Well, this is tipically shocks out of life span but your car is 1000mi. Have you tried different options in the manettino and even the one for bumpy roads? I use it very regularly as you feel like flying on a magic carpet compared to standard ride.

Hope this helps

umbertoo likes this.
  6. DefunctNeurons

DefunctNeurons Formula Junior

May 15, 2018
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Trevor
    No help to offer here, as I haven’t noticed a similar problem in my Italia. But that’s a beautiful car and great pic!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

umbertoo likes this.
  7. umbertoo

umbertoo Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    jakub lominski
    Yes i tried different settings and in bumpy road mode seems like more of weird noises coming. BTW. I think that this mode is more comfortable than Merc S-class suspension (!).

Anyway I decided to visit a service. I'll make update next week.

Thank you.

8. Ash Patel

Ash Patel Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2015
    Stockholm, Sweden
    2011, very high mileage almost 90 000 km / 56 000 miles, if the shocks are gone and need replacement I rather go aftermarket but not sure which manufacturer will support bumpy road function?

9. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    Novitec/KW shocks are the only I found. Have them on my Speciale.

Ash Patel likes this.
  10. john Owen

john Owen Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2018
    Full Name:
    John Owen
    Is your Speciale suffering from oil leaking from the dampers..Common problem which may exhibit similar sensations.

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Car looks stunning.

12. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    Common issue not only in Speciales, on any 458 indeed. First symptom is like if you only had spring, no rebound retention at all.

13. umbertoo

umbertoo Rookie

Jul 11, 2019
    Full Name:
    jakub lominski

We have the winners here - shock absorber in very bad condition after 1000miles (!). Gotta love italian cars.

My question is - is it covered by one year guarantee that I bought in official Ferrari service?

14. Golattus

Golattus Karting
    BANNED

Dec 15, 2017
    Full Name:
    JN
    It was very easy question actually.

I’m pretty sure that not few 458’s are wandering around with faulty shocks and drivers don’t even realized that something is very wrong. All you need is a torch.

Should be covered by warranty, why not? Even if out of warranty should be covered with this low mileage.

Keep us posted.

Ash Patel likes this.