355 - Converting 1999 F1 to 6 speed | FerrariChat

355 Converting 1999 F1 to 6 speed

Discussion in '348/355' started by mymelody12, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Hi Gents,

I am relatively very new to the forum, and I first want to thank the audience, admin and supporters for this forum and opportunity looking to get help.

I have recently engaged myself in getting LHD 1999 F355. I live overseas, so supplies of used F355 is very scarce. I wanted to get 6 speed, but after years of searching, I settled myself with an F1.

With great interest I read threads about a gentleman who converted his F1 to 6 speed, so I start this thread in hopes to get some help from the experts.

I am currently in the midst of making a list of parts I need for conversion. Eurospare was a great place to check parts I need.

For pedal box set, I need some guidance. Does it matter if I get a used LHD pedal box or RHD pedal box?
    I presume 1999 is BOSCH, but I also wonder whehter getting a non-BOSCH pedal box also matters.

I found below two pedalboxes on ebay. Although both are for manual, the housing looks different. Do you know if any of the two would fit into 1999 F1?

I also wonder whether difference between RHD and LHD merely comes down to direction of the pedal legs (direction that they were bent).

In any case, I wish to post more pics as I pick up the car next weekend and start the conversion process.

Many thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  3. MAD828

MAD828 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 8, 2011
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Elliott Caras
    Also F1 is a 6 speed.

Steve355F1 and WATSON like this.
  4. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    If your car is LHD get LHD parts, they are very different as pointed out. Also on the pedal box, I’d guess you have Bosch ABS on your 99 so get a pedal box for Bosch not Treves as those are also completely different. I have about 15 pedal boxes but I only ship within the l48 now so that doesn’t help you unless you have a friend in the states I could sent it to and they could get it to you.

5. Jackie and bill

Jackie and bill Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2014
    GB
    Full Name:
    William
    Considering that most every one lives over seas from some were. Were are you located?

6. angelo puglisi

Mar 27, 2006
    355 or 348 pedal boxes are both the same you can use either one, and accelerator pedals are the same.

Beetle likes this.
  7. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Hello gents,

Thanks for your replies and my apologies for delay in coming back.
    I think I got my head around LHD vs RHD and BOSCH vs TEVES. At the end of the day, I will need to start ordering parts in batches because I am not still 100 pct clear on exactly what parts I need until car is taken apart. I currently live in HK but the car is in S.Korea.

So I picked up the car over the weekend, and man.. car is in bad shape and needs help. So far, these are problems and work needed in my assessment.

I think my bank account is pretty screwed. Pictures will shortly follow...
    The biggest problem for me at the moment is that the car is way too loud. It has factory exhaust system. It has too much bass in low RPM. So much that my ear drums hurt and it sets off alarm of cars nearby. I wonder if header is cracked or exhausts are too old.

Suspension
    1. Replace all suspension bushings
    2. Suspension light is on
    a. Check gears on top of each damper​
    3. Check whether dampers are good

Peripherals
    1. Purchase toolkit
    2. Purchase Owner’s Manual
    3. No 4 digit pin
    4. Replace 2nd remote battery

Audio
    1. Replace audio to genuine system
    2. Take off aftermarket speaker and refit original leather pouches

Body
    1. Check for missing plastics for
    a. Wheel covers
    b. Underbody covers​

2. Replace carpet door sill to carbon fibre sills
    3. Front Bumper re-color (black inside)
    4. Side door needs black line stickers
    5. Doors are misaligned
    6. Rust observed in the back panel

Electronics

7. Left headlight not working
    8. Right highbeam not working
    9. Replace all fuses
    10. Check interior dome light
    11. There is no beep sound when car is unlocked via remote
    12. Fuel gauge is not full when gas is full
    13. A/C not working
    14. A/C internal circulation button not working
    a. Replace Actuator (Ricambi) and then disconnect battery overnight and reconnect. ​

8. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's not that bad you knew all that before you bought it or was it bought site unseen? Did the price reflect the condition?

Have fun and enjoy the process!

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

9. sevminasyan

sevminasyan Formula 3

Jun 24, 2008
    Glendale, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Let me know your complete list of items and I'll tell u what I can help with

Congrats on the purchase and always think positive

10. mymelody12

mymelody12 Karting

Apr 22, 2018
    Hong Kong & South Korea
    Full Name:
    Kevin Chang
    Thanks very much for words of encouragements.
    Each day I check on the car, I realized that I am in a big mess because the car needs serious overhaul and restoration (despite its exterior on pictures), not just manual shift conversion.

I was wondering if you could kindly help:

1. Do you know which model year Ferrari F355 was changed from TEVES to BOSCH? I have 99, so it is definitely a BOSCH brake system. I ask because I need to ensure that when I buy necessary parts, it comes from correct model year. Did BOSCH come at '97 (inclusive)?

2. The car was so abused and harassed by previous owners, the car misses so many parts that are important. Pretty much all of trunk carpet parts are missing, wheel protectors (front and rear), underbody shells, and many many more. My trusty mechanic suggests and it would be cheaper and more efficient to buy a salvage ferrari (BOSCH, spyder and manual 6 spd) and move parts over.

Can you suggest what's the best approach to actively look to purchase wrecked or salvage F355?

Many thanks,