Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev! | Page 12 | FerrariChat

Ferrari 360 Swiss Army Knife by 360trev!

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360trev, Sep 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. _TS

_TS Rookie

Jan 20, 2019
    Germany
    Congrats on the progress.

Actually, I only need a small hint. Carpet cover is still taken off.

Is the Spider roof controllable through the ECU? I would love to have a one touch button operation, without the need to hold the button all the time, and without having to fiddle with extra devices to be installed.

Cheers,
    TS

2. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    I once saw an aftermarket module that can be piggy backed to our roof ECU to give it the one-touch operation. I saw it installed on a BMW and it worked great.
    My issue though with our Capote is that it is so friggin complicated I WANT to have full control over the entire travel, i.e. while it is opening I keep an eye on the flaps and middle rod that helps the canvas fold properly (On mine I have to give that centre rod a helping hand by pushing it towards the back (there is an entire post thread on this). I like it that when you release the button all movement stops and it can be reversed in a similar fashion to prevent scratches to the panels.

So for me all I want is to relocate the switch to where the 430 has it by extending the 5 wires by 3 ft (fully reversible, of course)

3. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    I fully agree with your list for SAK tool dear Trev. Very smart modifications in ECU management. Forza !

Envoyé de mon Redmi 3S en utilisant Tapatalk

360trev likes this.
  4. Masteryoda

Masteryoda Rookie

Jun 7, 2019
    Full Name:
    Lothar Schmid
    Success!! I solved my problem. I used a so-called break-out box but mixed the 2 connectors....

Going further...

360trev and tifosi101 like this.
  5. gobuffs2002

gobuffs2002 Karting

Aug 7, 2010
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    John
    Hi Trev, great work. Will the SAK Phase 1 be able to soften the car shuddering when starting in 1st?

Thanks.

6. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    What shudder? Sounds like you may have a clutch slip issue to me... Post in main forum a description of fault and perhaps it can be diagnosed.

MCASEY likes this.
  7. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Trev, ygm!

8. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Sorry to everyone thats emailed me in past few days hang on I promise I will come back soon. I'm currently at AV Engineering in UK, home of the famous Eddie and Aldous (Voicey) crack commando Ferrari experts. They are just great with fantastic facilities.

We've successfully made some awesome calibrations yesterday and absolutely transfomed, and I mean totally transformed a 360 Spider. Drives like a different car. It had a sports exhaust fitted but ran a stock ecu so had 3 different dead spots in the rev range, also felt slow to respond to drivers input. Most people are aware that Ferrari calibrated all factory sports exhausts with new ecu's, hence kits that where available coming with ecus to fit. The reason are very apparent when you analyze the maps which is what we spent time doing yesterday looking for solutions.

Together we now have developed inhouse a solution that will transform ANY car that runs on an aftermarket sports exhaust. No dead or flat spots and instant torque, your car is completely transformed. By modifying genuine last revision CS firmware to run on an otherwise stock 360 spider and removing all the torque request lagginess (is that even a word ) from the ecu program its best described like the difference in a CS TCU but for the engine...

We just couldn't believe how night and day different the car feels. People are going to Love this upgrade when it becomes available soon, and yes it works right across all model years and all cars that have a sports exhaust fitted. Watch this space, it's very exciting! We've done something big today and the community will really benefit, feels like a 10 years newer car. Watch this space..

Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    Great job guys ! It is hard to wait !!

Envoyé de mon Redmi 3S en utilisant Tapatalk

360trev likes this.
  10. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hello Trev, asap please check my email. I need some urgent info to proceed with my scenario.
    Please and thanks.

360trev likes this.
  11. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Fantastic news, Trev! I think you and Aldous need to get together more often...!

Kevin

12. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    Aldous Voice!

You were supposed to be having tea with the Queen!

360trev and Mimmo Blue like this.
  13. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    I'm really excited about this collaboration, the results we are getting are phenomenal. These will only help to make these cars revered in years to come. With Eddie dialing in perfect cam timing between banks the performance on offer is shocking!

14. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    This car is like a mistress and these mods don't help.
    I wonder if my wife will be pi$$ed if I go straight to AV Engineering from the airport later this week instead of to the hotel?

Tough decision!

360trev likes this.
  15. Skippr1999

Skippr1999 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2009
    Take it from me....she will be

hessank and 360trev like this.
  16. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Hahaha I'm no marriage councillor but something tells me this wouldn't go down well!

hessank and Skippr1999 like this.
  17. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Trev, is AV Eng able to do:

(in addition to the IMMO circumcision and CS tune)

1. Fuel Tank Pressure Deactivated

2. Catalyst Efficiency Monitoring Deactivated (even with test pipes it works)

3. Catalyst Temperature 'Cat ECU' Monitoring Deactivated

4. Catalyst 'Slow Down Light' Monitoring. Either disabled

5. Secondary O2 Sensors (post cat) Deactivated (can be removed and install just a bung).

18. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Trev—. Do you see a formula for bringing a reg 360 above cs hp/tq w a repeatable proven combo of parts and tune. I bet that would be popular.

BDubbs likes this.
  19. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    As above, I have a tubi and really want to get sportcats.... but if there is a combination that you find works best/has least issues that would be helpful. Cant wait for your product to be available!

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

one4torque likes this.
  20. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Hi Trev,
    Thinking about the twin ecu thing and why non Ferrari ecus don’t (yet) work on your program, can you shed light on why there’s two ecus in the first place? I can’t think of any other cars that use two ecus, so is there anything in the Ferrari programming that necessitates this? Just something I’ve been curious about for a while.

21. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    It's because these cheap ecus where designed for mass production on 4 cylinder engines. Actually they supported 4 to 6 cylinders max each ecu. So to support 8 or 12 cylinders they needed 2 of them.

brogenville and tifosi101 like this.
  22. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I’m amazed it wasn’t cheaper and easier to just buy one ecu that can handle 8 or 12 cylinders. So it’s as simple as the processing power of the each ecu is maxed out at a 6 pot.

23. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    An economies of scale thing. Bosch sold so many 4 and some 6 cyl engines that these ecu's ended up in that it wasn't in their game plan to leave any unnecessary headroom in the ecu's, it was all about volume. They literally sold tens of millions of them so every cent mattered. With so few 360's (say 20k units or thereabouts) it wasn't even on their radar, it was far cheaper to use the same ecu but put 2 in and do a software kludge to make it work (quite clever when you think about it).

Bear in mind these units only have an old Siemens 16-bit microcontroller with only 512Kbytes of of flash (less than an old floppy disc, remember them!) and 16kbytes of ram! Literally they are microscopic performance wise but they run very efficiently written software. If you take out the diagnostics stuff and smog stuff the actual code required to run the engine runs in at around 128kbytes or less with about the same in data. By today's standards its less than half of one percent of a typical low budget smartphone! That's not to say it isn't complex, quite the contrary with over 6,000 variables and highly complex algorithms, just written in a era where performance mattered and developers actually where close enough to the hardware to write efficient code.

These days the software has become a lot more bloaty with tonnes of abstraction layers and a lot slower (in general) with high level languages. I quite admire the efficiency of it all to be honest.

tifosi101 and brogenville like this.
  24. Ralph P

Ralph P Rookie

Aug 10, 2018
    London, United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Ralph Payne
    Trev kindly released an early version of his Swiss Army Knife onto my F430 following installation of my decals and sports exhaust.

I've covered some 600 miles in the car now in varying conditions and the engine management light has stayed out the whole time. No cat efficiency codes!

Needless to say I'm very grateful for the work carried out by Trev along with Aldous and Eddie at AV Engineering. As a community we're very lucky you are writing upgrades for these cars.

In the future we will put a map on the car which focuses on power rather than emissions which I'm thoroughly looking forward to!

Finally, I'll get some videos up shortly of my straight-piped F430. It's completely nuts..

360trev, recoil, benporter and 2 others like this.
  25. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Ralph, its a pleasure. Glad your enjoying the car!

brogenville, benporter and tifosi101 like this.