ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT?? | FerrariChat

ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT??

Discussion in '308/328' started by steve meltzer, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
  2. chris1866

chris1866 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I don't know the car, but the color is beautiful!
    I wouldn't call it "bastardized". I have a '77 GTB to which I have made many of the same modifications. the 16" wheels are much easier to find tires for and I personally think they look better. Removing the emissions crap (pump, R points, etc)...that's a no-brainer. Same with the electronic ignition. Points can be unreliable....I have a couple MSD boxes running mine (though I still have both distributors running the mechanical advance). Euro bumpers are lighter and (again subjectively) look better.
    So, while it's certainly not "concourse correct", I think the car has been improved in such a way that it is better/easier to drive and live with than a 100% stock USA car.
    If you're going to buy a car to actually drive and don't care about every ounce of originality for concourse purposes, this seems like a great option.

Tire Fryer, Nuvolari and thorn like this.
  3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    yes, it is beautiful, and yes, most everything done is for the better and could be reversed, except the radiator's intrusion into the spare tire well. Nice car. thanx for your input. steve

4. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Very clean for sure I was surprised at how well this machine was documented as far as all the repairs / upgrades go .

5. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I think something might not be right about the radiator/spare tire well. I put an aluminum rad in my car and yes, they are about an inch thicker but that extra inch should have been forward of the mount and not interfere with the tire well. At least mine doesn't. You could re-core the original and put it back in. The aluminum ones are much lighter but they aren't any more efficient at cooling, they have to be an inch thicker to match the efficiency of the original copper one.

6. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx. how can i tell if the engine is original re: does the engine number "match".? thanx seve

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Absolutely beautiful,even without the dry sump should fetch serious money,but worth it.

8. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Actually, you can't. Unless you have a period bill or something mentioning the engine number. Due to the bigger production volumes, the engine number and chassis number of the V8 cars are not "matched" in so far as there is no strict rule of correlation between the numbers.
    What you can do is ask people who know cars with a chassis number close to this one (and of the same market/version) what engine numbers do their cars have. The one you are interested in should fall in the same range. But even if it is out of the range, it does not necessarly mean that the engine is not original.
    It only became easier in Sept. 1985 with the 328, for which the warranty card has a specific "box" for the engine number (if you still have the Warranty booklet, of course...).
    Try Robert Retzlaff's 308 GTB registry site for a start, you might find some engine numbers close to that car, to have a ballpark.
    Rgds

9. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I think that site only show some assembly numbers ..but it might be worth sending him an email .he had some info on my car which i did not know.

10. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx so much. the stampings shown in the BaT photos are: 1) F106AL/2645 and 2) F106A/02631
    forgive my X-posting in the other post. much appreciated. steve

11. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Steve,

Send these numbers thru P.M to F-Chatter "Triple Black" (a friend of mine). He should be able to bracket these with the engine # of cars close to the one you are looking at...
    Rgds

12. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    There's TWO Fchatters in the owner history. T. Springer and J Tranfield..I actually took a picture of a couple of parts my car is missing....that's a nice complete example.

I agree the deeper rad should not be tight to the spare tire enclosure, it's not getting full flow jammed back like that, hard to know why that came to be.

I have taken my smog pumps off but soldier on with stock distributor and ignition.
    IMO only, as these cars become more valuable the mods should be subtle, better concealed.

Air box is correct IMO the 1977s were "sound insulated" so "wide intake snout" compared to the 1976s, but do lack the "activated shutter" that closed it off in 1978 to fight garage fuel fumes!!

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Terry Springer had a nice "comp engine spec" Daytona, also.

But his wife became ill last I knew, for her health ….they bought a huge sailboat and headed off around the world!
    Anyone heard from him, since then ???

15. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    Just to echo others' good points, a 3x8 isn't like a Mopar; Ferrari didn't stamp the VIN/SR# all over everything.

TripleBlack likes this.
  16. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    This 308 belongs to a F-Chat member.
    Engine and gearbox are period correct, only the factory could confirm at 100% with the built sheet.
    I wish I could have the body number to be even more sure but I can't read it clearly, looks like 4X4A. When I cross checked, it would be more 474A than 414A.
    Any input or better quality picture would be helpful.

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thank you all for the input. just saw the car, but didn't know about the Body Number. Where is it located and maybe I can get the seller to shoot a photo of that?
    thanx. steve

18. TripleBlack

TripleBlack Formula Junior

May 1, 2006
    Paris, France
    Without any parts to take off, more or less with your hands in pockets, you can see the body number on 3 places:
    - top of the coils bracket (you already can see the stamp on 2 pictures from the sale but not clearly)
    - top left inside the front lid, on the steel frame facing left
    - mid inside left side edge of the rear lid facing the engine
    At least, with this 3 spots, you can confirm those parts are originals.
    there is plenty of other places but then, you would have to inspect and de-assembly :) which is not the purpose during a sale (especially with this beautiful car).

19. dflett

dflett Formula 3

Jun 24, 2005
    NY
    Full Name:
    David
    Looks like a fabulous 308 to me.

Regards
    David

308 milano likes this.
  20. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx everyone, esp triple black, for your help. more later. steve

21. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    Give Vinny at AutoElite a call. He might be able to fill you in on the car.
    If you can find out the owner/where it is, I'm not far from Vinny & give it a look-see if you'd like.

tuttebenne likes this.
  22. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx Clyde and thanx for the offer. the car is in Houston, at Driver Source. Saw it yesterday, but not "showing my hand". thanx again. s

23. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Yes the radiator mod is def second rate. Removing the spare tire is not a minor compromise. If you read the service bills you see that the disty is not working properly, that the advance is restricted. Overall its a sweet color but I would have liked to see more attention to detail on the seat reupholstery. There are too many ripples on the seat back bolsters. Having said all that, its a nice car and someone will probably be very happy. I think the photos are ginning up the hype and interest which will probably drive it up to or around $70k IMO.

24. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for the subtle info, tuttebenne. much appreciated. steve

25. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    tuttebenne, can you show me in the documents when and where the concerns with the distributor advance lie? PM might be best. thanx steve
    <[email protected]>