Ceramic Coating | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ceramic Coating

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Chizz, Jun 7, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
  2. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  3. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Ok bud! You win! Chizz out!!!!
    Mic drop!
    anyone have a question for me PM me.

4. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Really appreciate the info, I never knew about ceramics.

RSQP, Fireman1291 and Chizz like this.
  5. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi Chizz, let me say I appreciate you bringing up ceramics. I never knew about their existence. So I learned something new. As far as the true pros and cons, I don’t know so I can’t chime in. Just watching to see how the debate goes.

Let’s all tone it down a bit, we can all agree we want what’s best for our cars.

ALL your cars look georgeous!

G. Pepper and Chizz like this.
  6. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Okay let me throw this in the mix, I’ve read wraps damage paint when removed? True?

7. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The wraps from 10+ yrs ago definitely, especially on single stage paint. the new ones on newer paint - havent heard of it. My f40 CS 512tr 355 diablo countach etc arent wrapped. My tdf was wrapped with ceramic on some panels and non wrapped panels had carnuba. My 612 430s etc are wrapped. My ff has some ppf and ceramic on entire car. My suvs are a mix if ceramic on paint and ceramic on colored wraps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BOKE and paulchua like this.
  8. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Unfortunately pulling a wrap off any paint job, new or old, carries a risk of pulling the paint off. I've seen wraps removed off newer cars where it pulls the paint. Most of the time this is on bumpers and rockers - which are the preferable panels to repaint if you had to make a choice to repaint something. So PPF is wonderful, but nothing is risk free. I would never wrap an older paint job (pre clear coat and with Ferrari Id probably say something around before the F430 era I'd leave it).

As to the ceramic debate, all I know is I'm often wary when I hear X blows away Y. The truth is usually more complicated. Everything has pros and cons and its a matter for you to decide which line up best with your objectives. I tend to come down more on the side of ceramics vs carnauba because I like the pop it gives vs carnauba, but on the right paint job, I might go for carnauba.

(OK I will make an exception to my statement and say Ferrari blows away everyone else- Forza Ferrari!! Lets go for a win tomorrow!)

RSQP, BOKE, G. Pepper and 1 other person like this.
  9. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    there is no one ive spoken to more about cars in my life than this guy, including detailing. a bulk of what ive learned are from conversations we have had a bulk of my education regarding ceramics has come from him as well. while we have differences of opinion we both manage to maintain rather large collections and we are often have play dates with our toys and enjoy hanging! pretty sure he wld agree im not an *******.

RSQP, BOKE and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You are not an ***** or anything else bad. We just tend to find what works for us. Bring on the play dates!

BOKE likes this.
  11. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I purchased my 430 in December 2007. I had it clearbra before leaving dealer. I noticed later it had some air bubbles. A month later it went back to dealer for a new battery and to fix clearbra. I get a call from dealer that a palm size patch of paint was removed when taking off clearbra. I didn't see the car for 2 months while repaired. Turns out they didn't heat it up before removing

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  12. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Thats pretty amateur but that was the wild west back then. I replaced the clear bra on my cgt in like 2015. The original bra that came off was literally yellow.

paulchua likes this.
  13. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had it replaced in Vegas 2 years ago

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

14. SVCalifornia

SVCalifornia Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 28, 2011
    Silicon Valley
    Full Name:
    Keith
    As I understand it a clear plastic layer doesn’t always prevent damage to a paint layer. Hit the plastic hard enough and the paint will crack underneath.

BUT the plastic won’t migrate and lift the cracked paint so it looks fine. Lift off the plastic layer and it will certainly lift off the spots with cracked paint! Necessitating a repaint of the surface.

But that ability to isolate cracked paint is one reason why it is so popular I suspect. Delays paying the piper as it were where as a bare paint surface will show a damage spot immediately.

SV

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. jumpinjohn

jumpinjohn F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 22, 2013
    Texas
    Full Name:
    John
    I used to love waxing my cars and really miss it, but time constraints don’t really let me do that. And I like to drive my cars. Went with full wrap and ceramic just for ease of care in our 812. So easy and protects from nicks which happen a lot here. When our Portofino arrives it will get the same.

Someday, I will wash, clay and wax again...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Chizz, Fireman1291 and Caeruleus11 like this.
  16. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats terrible! Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, I can tell you for a fact, even if you have the worlds greatest installer/ remove/ most talented people following all the correct procedures, there is still a risk of paint removal. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Chizz, paulchua and Fireman1291 like this.
  17. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    I'm a simple person. would any of these methodologies you mentioned provide sufficient protection so that ill be able to go to the petrol station at the corner and have my ferrari washed with the autowash?

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Full ppf with ceramic is ur best shot but very protecting against car washes is a herculean task. That being said this is the route ive chosen for my daily driven suvs.

BOKE likes this.
  19. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

I can only offer my personal experience. The last two Nero F cars I had were completely wrapped with a paint correction done then a full wrap with a ceramic coating applied. My experience was great. No paint swirls and very easy to maintain. Does it look better ? Who gives a s**t ? I’m all about easy to maintain. Wipe it off no muss no fuss. Hell , I could run it through a car wash if I wanted too. Best ,Kirk.

tomc, RSQP, Fireman1291 and 3 others like this.
  20. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Get a “self healing” PPF like Suntek and do a full wrap. Literally park your car in the sun if you notice minor problems in the film and it “heals” it’s a beautiful thing

Fireman1291 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow - sorry to hear that! :(

Hope it got sorted.

Have a great day

22. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    No problems after getting car back in 3/08. No problem when replaced after 10 yrs

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

paulchua and BOKE like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My answer is no. There is no free lunch. Most of these setups end with some guys using the same grime laden towels to dry your car. This will scratch your finish/ film. PPF is softer than clear coat and actually easier to scratch. Yes, the new ones are often self healing, and that is nice, but if you're looking for "set it and forget it" ease, I suggest just leaving the factory clear coat and save your money.

My daily cars get no PPF, no ceramic- and I try to limit car wash visits. They end up being dirty often but they are daily cars. I use the car wash because it's easy. My fun cars get PPF and a ceramic coating for ease of maintenance. Without it the PPF will really hold on to dirt and grime and is tricky to get really clean.

BOKE and Chizz like this.
  24. Chizz

Chizz Formula Junior
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 21, 2017
    Atlanta
    Great answer!

Caeruleus11 and BOKE like this.
  25. XSpeed

XSpeed Formula Junior

Jan 6, 2019
    Full Name:
    SX
    Can I use the CarPro Reload also if the car is has nano coating?