348 - Source for new 348 coil over springs? | FerrariChat

348 Source for new 348 coil over springs?

Discussion in '348/355' started by 97 Spider, Jul 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    I’m refreshing all the suspension on my 53k mile 348. All ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends etc. everything. I’m not 100% on what I want to do on shocks and springs yet. I was thinking about trying to fit a complete new QA1 setup. Or if I stick with my stock shocks I’d like to put on new springs but I can’t seem to find any. I find plenty of H&R lowering springs. I’d rather just have stock size springs and set my height with the adjustment on the shock. Does anyone carry something like that?

2. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I was looking also awhile back I'll watch to see. Really want to keep the early spring rates. Not sure what they were but they feel like 320s. I do know it is said the pre spiders were stiff but geez my focus is way stiffer and harsher. Definilty hope someone has the spring rates at least, then many places are an option.

Btw side note, I did the front end bushes and ands and steering rack. I am dead convinced everyone who drives a 348 and complains, it is due to steering rack. Before I did mine I contemplated selling it and it was 2 moths! It was horrid and felt dangerous actually.

Now it's an absolute dream to drive REALLY enjoy the steering now. I can't overstate the difference a stupid rack bushing makes.

Coilovers rebuild and springs also like your doing would be great!

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using FerrariChat.com mobile app

3. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
  4. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Yeah, I asked a while back about the spring rates when I was looking at the QA1 option to see if anyone knew but never had a response.
    I’m hoping everything I am putting into it will make a difference. I always said my 348 was much less enjoyable to road trip than the 355. The 348 definitely keeps you on your toes and it kind of tires you out driving it for a long ways. I’m sure at 53k miles a fresh front end should hopefully be a noticeable difference.

5. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    #5 Ferrarium, Jul 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
    This may help, may not but here you go none the less.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/started-348-steering-rack-rebuild.591467/

Pretty sure fatbillybob know the spring rates, I suspect a lot of guys who were really active years past have other interests these days and post less frequently. But they left good info out here, I did find this, check post #9.
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/348-spring-part-number-143390-spring-rates.562768/

Check your front rack by lifting the passenger side grab the wheel and shake, let us know if yours is like this too? Eventually they all get like that then the car wanders and seems to not respond then over responds and its worse faster you go enough where you don't want to drive it fast. I drive mine 2 hours from Nj to De these days and its a freaking dream now. So precise, so responsive.

Qavion likes this.
  6. 97 Spider

97 Spider Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Interesting, thanks for the links. I have all my suspension pulled off but haven’t done anything with the rack yet. I’ve got about a 100 other things demanding my time but I really need to get the car rolling again before we move in September or October. I think I would have noticed if it was anything like that video though, geez!

7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    That's what happens when the rack bushing disintegrates. And they all do. Most never notice it except it drives wonky and many buy cars like that and don't know different..

8. GTO Joe

GTO Joe Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 15, 2013
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    Joseph Troutwine
    You may want to have new springs made to your specs. I used a firm in the mid west while restoring several 60's muscle cars and they had all the original specs for the cars and would make whatever changes to those numbers I wanted. The service and cost was great and the turn around fast. "Coil Spring Specialty" (coilsprings.com).