Test drive a Coupe before pulling the trigger? | FerrariChat

Test drive a Coupe before pulling the trigger?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by HX_Guy, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    I'm the market for a 458 and have only ever driven one, which was a Spider.

The experience was great, and our weather here in AZ is decent many months of the year for open top driving, but I'm not normally a open top / sunroof type of guy. In past cars that had a sunroof, I never used it, and I never really drive with the windows down.

I'm thinking a Coupe is the better choice for me, but having never driven one, can I assume its a similar experience to the Spider when the top was up? I absolutely love the look of the engine on the Coupe behind the rear glass. :D

aaronrgonz and Clay512TR like this.
  2. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    I owned both.

Coupe far more rigid and capable.

Spider sounds so much better.

Both a great choice.

LVP488 and tekaefixe like this.
  3. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Windows down on Coupe vs top down on Spider - how big of a difference is there in the sound?

4. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Coupe sounds great, but spider significantly better. Volume and clarity.
    I got annoyed always having the windows down to enjoy the 458 s sound.

Ash Patel likes this.
  5. carz80am

carz80am Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2015
    Northern Virginia/DC
    If I recall correctly, you can also lower the rear window and here that beautiful sound...

Jamie traina likes this.
  6. skinguy23

skinguy23 Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2011
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Steve
    That is true. The rear window glass can be lowered (not quite all of the way) with the rest of the windows up and roof intact. Sounds amazing!!! Both cars are great though

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

dustman likes this.
  7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Not quite all the way?? Of course it goes down all the way!

8. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    Agree: roof up window fully retracts.

Only in roof down does the window stay up about 2" to function as a wind blocker. Makes highway driving a very comfortable experience.

Jamie traina likes this.
  9. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you arent a convertible guy def get a coupe...458 coupe is divine to the eye!

jomarti1 likes this.
  10. jomarti1

jomarti1 Karting

Feb 27, 2017
    S. Florida
    100%.. 458 Italia is a very enjoyable machine!

Graz likes this.
  11. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Mine goes down all the way but maybe it’s because of the mods4cars thing...

12. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Sounds like OP is a coupe guy. When I visited AZ, the sun and heat were brutal. Cant imagine top down driving on hot days like that. I would drop the 458's roof in the morning, afternoon, and evening never in the middle of the day. However, lowering the rear glass to hear the engine was a magnificent compromise. Coupe and Spider are both excellent , cant go wrong either way.

Dicecal likes this.
  13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    There really are only a few places in the world where you can comfortably enjoy a convertible for more than 3 months of the year. Even on great summer days I often find myself with the top up in my 430 spider as as either the heat or the noise from the wind prohibit having conversations with the person next to me or being able to hear waze....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BruceC and DefunctNeurons like this.
  14. racerdj

racerdj F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jan 19, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Full Name:
    DJS
    The coupe has always been my choice with no regrets.

15. HX_Guy

HX_Guy Karting

Jun 23, 2019
    Full Name:
    Val B
    Yeah still leaning toward coupe. Top up vs Coupe, I think the Coupe looks much better.

Graz likes this.
  16. OldDog

OldDog Karting

Nov 2, 2017
    Sarasota, FL
    Full Name:
    JJ
    40 years ago I had a friend tell me he loved Phoenix because he could ride his motorcycle at midnight shirtless. Well that is what is spider is for and you can do that at any age. Put the top up during the day. Our wear lots of sunscreen but that will stain the leather.

17. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Great point about Carplay/Waze. I didn't use Waze on every single drive back when I had the 458 Spider. Since then I've had 4 coupes in a row and use Waze every time I drive. I feel that adding Waze to my dual front and single rear laser blinders provides the best protection against getting tagged by the Po-Po.

Would be a lot harder to decipher the Waze verbal warnings with top down driving.

Ash Patel likes this.
  18. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    Jamie traina and veilstylez like this.
  19. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I’m not a convertible fan to begin with but I love in Scottsdale. Top down at 100 degrees??? No thanks

20. veilstylez

veilstylez Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2005
    SoCal
    #20 veilstylez, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Sounds like your a coupe guy. But try driving it, you might like it more because it is stiffer. Im a convertible guy, top down in a Ferrari = heaven like someone here said. Open top motoring is a whole different experience. Top down driving along the coast is pure bliss. Sorry but coupes bore me after 5 mins of driving. And its funny because I never have the windows down on my daily. The 458 spider is a hard top convert so you get the best of both worlds, plus that window in the rear lowered is awesome because the experience is amplified 10x. Your either a coupe guy or a convertible guy, nothing wrong with either or. I have friends that own a convertibles and never put the top down.

watch this video about the rear window on this pista spider

Also I've been really considering selling the spider for a speciale but I can't not have a convertible...
    I love the speciale, and the aperta is just to overpriced..... So I don't know what to do im honestly stuck...this is how much I love convertibles

21. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Your answer is very simple. We can have all our opinions, and we can share our thoughts. BUT, if you are in doubt, go drive an Italia, because they are very different cars. Only you can make that choice.

I'm a huge fan of drop top motoring, and even I think the 458 Spider is too wobbly and soft for what it is intended to be. But that's me, and others have a different perception and experience.

No right or wrong, just different strokes for different boats and all that.

veilstylez likes this.
  22. Graz

Graz Formula 3

Oct 15, 2012
    New Jersey and Florida
    Full Name:
    Graziano
    I agree. I’m on my 2nd 458, both coupes. I don’t think you can beat the flow and lines of the Italia coupe. But it’s really subjective.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ash Patel likes this.