Sunroof, Should I or Shouldn’t I try and Open | FerrariChat

Sunroof, Should I or Shouldn’t I try and Open

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by BillyD, Jul 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My new to me USA 83 coupe has a sunroof of course. Previous owner never opened it and I’m debating whether I should. I bought a coupe as I found I didn’t drop my previous convertibles tops much. I’ve pushed the open switch a bit and it seems to move but I don’t want to open a can of worms and have another project. Searching threads and parts sellers it appears there are some parts available. Anyone rebuilt theirs lately to confirm this.
    Advice?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Any chance you have the "emergency handle"? If so, try it manually first, but gingerly.

This from the '85 Owner's Manual:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Just a note - after long periods of non-use, the retract cable corrodes within the guide tube, and then jams up.

4. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Just checked the tool kit and I do have the EMERGENCY HANDLE.
    So so far I know:
    -the motor works
    -cable currently ok as roof moves if I momentarily push button
    -have emergency handle if motor fails
    Now I need some courage

5. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
  6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Read the weather report first.

7. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Best advice ever given to me by my old FCar mechanic friend

"Does your sunroof work?"

"Yes"

"Ok, great, never touch it or open it ever again"

"Ok lol"

8. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    Yup even says in one of the Mondial buyers guides if it has a sunroof decide if you want it permantly open or closed and leave it that way.

JLF likes this.
  9. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Keep your fingers off - you might have the manual tool but no use if it sticks.

10. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I have an 82 coupe - the owner where I bought it opened it on my test drive back in 2016 - I cringed and wanted to yell, AH, don't you dare open it!!! LOL I have never opened it or will I. Nothing good can come from it, it's too expensive to fix if something goes wrong, which it probably will. Plus the thing is above/behind your head so you can't really see out of it anyways! Post #7 is spot on!

11. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I have direct experience with opening a sunroof that should not have been opened, although not a mondial
    I had a 72 VW bus w a massive sunroof that was closed when I bought it. Wasn’t explicitly told don’t open it but I sensed it was like a horror movie’s door to the basement (don’t open it)
    Well, I Opened it
    Closed it
    Felt quite proud. No monsters.
    First rain storm it stayed dry inside...
    Until I hit the brakes: Water had accumulated in prodigious quantities inside the roof and stopping caused momentum to bring all that water rushing forward to cascade like a waterfall out the front of the sunroof and onto the front seats.
    I was quite literally soaking wet.
    I was young so it was funny.
    Lesson learned: don’t open old sunroofs
    Caulked it closed after everything dried.

Drewbdo likes this.
  12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    The Mondial 8 I had was only 11 years old when I bought it, and the sunroof didn't work. So I completely restored the system and all was awesome after that. This was pre-internet days plus there wasn't anyone around to tell me not to. No Ferrari repair manuals either (it's not in the manual anyway). :)

However, I have heard... "Don't open the sunroof while driving at high speeds (while the windows are already open) 'cause the lid will blow out completely." ;)

13. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I had mine open on a bumpy road and it would not shut after that- the start of a nightmare

14. Mark C Harvey

Mark C Harvey Karting

Jul 17, 2018
    West Hartford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Mark C Harvey
    Mine works, I open and close it every time I use the car. Actually the mechanism slowed down as the Connecticut winter approached and the weather got colder. I figured it was like my knees so I left it the FA till spring. Indeed...the open/close sped up again as the weather warmed. Perfect really as I don’t drive it in the winter, and anyway don’t use the sunroof if it’s really cold. I swear these cars have personality. I trust it, but ******* there are some warnings here to give me pause for thought

15. Rosey

Rosey F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2015
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Mark R
    So how do you guys go at an FCA concours event where the judges ask you to show them that everything works?
    Do you open the sunroof?

Wade and Temple like this.
  16. Temple

Temple Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Temple
    Great question!!! Lol Are concourse level Mondi’s even still around?? Lol x2 Actually I’ve seen at least go 2 by on BaT and 1-2 more go through f-chat so I know there are some still out there. Forza Mondial

Temple

17. dennis_maine

dennis_maine Karting

Sep 11, 2007
    ME
    Full Name:
    Dennis Haines
    I owned a 1981 Mondial 8 for 11 years. My sunroof always worked, no problems, but I frankly didn't use it much. If the cable appears to be free, there are probably no issues with using it.

Wade likes this.