Supply glut and hypercar allocation impact? | FerrariChat

Supply glut and hypercar allocation impact?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RumorDude, Jul 10, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RumorDude

RumorDude Formula Junior

Dec 16, 2003
    Woodinville, WA
    Over the past couple years, it seems the overall production numbers for Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren etc are all skyrocketing. There are even many new models from all manufacturers and it seems the exclusivity of “base model” cars is being impacted to the point where the exclusivity of the base model car may no longer be attractive while a new generation of new buyers is stepping in.

With the most exclusive hypercars however, it seems the same group of people continue to get them /and/ production numbers stay small. Do you think the hypercar production numbers will increase as well? How do people think this impacts hypercar allocations in the future?

2. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    These days, the interesting cars are all 2mm. Manufacturers are then filling the gaps between their top tier and normal production with special edition and variants. Lamborghini went crazy and made 50,000 different editions of the Gallardo. Porsche probably has always done that but now they make a new edition every five minutes and they're doing SUVs too. Now Ferrari sees everyone else making money hand over fist and they got to do it too. What you are seeing is the capitalization of the brands themselves in an era where the mass manufacturers are abandoning fun to drive cars for SUVs. Eventually the sports car market will crash again.

Themaven likes this.
  3. F355 Fan 82

F355 Fan 82 F1 Veteran

Jul 22, 2006
    Look at the values of the new gt2rs that came out last year, they initially were asking $520k for them, now they're $350k in no time. They're making way too many, but hey there are buyers so its working, not good for long term values but it works for manufacturer

PaulK likes this.
  4. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yep, I wonder what these values will look like when the easy financing goes away.

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Except for one offs and special editions are there any really "exclusive" cars anymore? I live in a nice rural neighborhood but nothing exclusive and the guy down the road from me has 2 new RR convertibles as DDs one for him and one for his wife.

I remember when just seeing a RR or Fcar was a very rare event. Now not so much - Porsches, MB, Jags are very routine/common place and Mclarens, Lamos, Fcars, AM are regular sightings. But that said I live in So CA so there is a plethora of just about everything automotive.

Well in the exclusive hypercar category – say $1M and up I think only about .1% US population can afford them but certainly far less than that are “car people” so perhaps the market in the US is 150,000 likely buyers for these vehicles but even those folks do not necessarily get a new hypercar every year. So I would have to think the market would become saturated at some point given the proliferation these vehicles. When the economy turns down the saturation point will be reached quickly keeping in mind the US economy has been strengthening for 10 years and nothing lasts forever, does it?

6. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Porsche makes money on the new cars it sell and doesn't have to care about the used car market... unless.. those used cars cannibalize sales of new cars. I suspect that the used market for the 911 is like the used market for Ferrari's. It acts as a gateway to a new 911 down the line. Cayenne and Macan when off lease, I suspect based on massive depreciation seen, are easily replaced by Acura and Lexus SUV's.

I for one count the days until the 911R and GT3 touring are $120k and $80k cars. There is no reason on earth why they should be priced as astronomically high. Once the emperor has no clothes....

7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I agree. Even big collectors who spend a lot and also historically have made a bit out of flipping their special editions are getting confused. I have a friend who gets an allocation for everything, LaF Spider down. He is a true car nut but also has enjoyed making some money on cars over the years. He had two GT2 RS on allocation 18 months ago, offered me one at list, as a mate. Hang on to it for six months, drive 1000 miles and sell, was the idea. Something, maybe the softness in R and Pista market, made me say no. Also I spoke to a respected trader in the UK who said he wasn’t sure he would be able to sell it on at more than list and this is before any cars had been delivered.

There is too much supply of special cars.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  8. arizonaitalian

arizonaitalian F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 29, 2010
    Wyoming
    From your lips to God's ears! I would love to be able to have one of those as a "driver" rather than something owners' are afraid to put miles on. Sadly, I don't have optimism they reach the levels you mention in my lifetime...but one can hope. I miss the days with sports cars were simply sporty cars...