488 - Forza Controller Installation In Spider | FerrariChat

488 Forza Controller Installation In Spider

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Hopeful, Jul 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Has anyone installed the Forza controller in a 488 Spider (not a 458 or a GTB) and can it be done from the engine bay just removing the engine side covers or does the spider still require removing the rear bumper and/or the wheels and wheel well covers?

2. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    The rear number has to be removed
    I had it installed in my 2017 488 Spider

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Thanks. Not what I wanted to hear.

4. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Sorry

5. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    It’s really not that big a job the bumper comes right off

6. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Out of curiosity, the attached pic is with the left-hand engine cover removed on the 488 Spider. I think that is the Modulator Solenoid in the nominal center of
    the photo. Is that correct and, Image Unavailable, Please Login if so, where would the Vacuum Solenoid Valve be located relative to the Modulator Solenoid?

7. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    You have to mount the relay and then run the wiring to both sides
    There isn’t enough room to get the entire kit installed the way your looking to do
    So if you think you can then why don’t you

8. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Not trying to be argumentative. I read a post somewhere where someone indicated they were able to do it on the Spider from the top without removing the bumper. I'm just trying to see if I can locate the solenoid is to see if it really can be done.

9. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    Not a problem
    No offense taken
    Just found it much easier to do it the way I did it and came out very neatly without any heartaches

10. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Amersfoort, The Netherlands, Europe.
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Should be possible without removing bumper imo.

I did it on 458 this way at least … but you have to know what you do and where ...

11. kbaillie

kbaillie Karting

Nov 4, 2009
    You're a better man than I, in that case. ;) I tried multiple different ways to install without removing the bumper and, 2 hours in to those attempts, had to give up and go for the bumper removal. Once I committed to removing the bumper, it wasn't that bad. But my neighbors did wonder what kind of insanity had come over me at 10pm...
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    O.K. Kabaillie (what's your "normal"name buddy ?)

Read my YOLO thread at page 8

Or all other pages …

We make same controllers for very little money … and have a lot of satisfied customers :)

13. Hopeful

Hopeful Karting

May 31, 2019
    Vero Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Tony M.
    Well, my Forza controller arrived and I had a shop install it. No way to access the exhaust solenoid from the engine bay of the 488 Spider. We decided to go the rear wheel/rear wheel liner route. Worked fine but you do need to drop the diffuser to access the very bottom bolt holding the wheel liner on. Routing wires and finding a spot to mount the controller may be easier if you go the rear bumper route but no real difficulties doing it through the wheel well.

I don't buy it being a one-hour DIY project. It took the mechanic 3 hours to do, with no real wasted time. I suspect someone more familiar with the 488 could do it in 2 1/2 hours but not a heck of a lot less.

IMO, the end result is well worth the effort/money. Sounds like a real car now and lots of burbling and popping when decelerating below 2500 rpm where it used to be silent. Wife said the dishes in the house were rattling when I pulled it in the garage this morning.

14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I presume a Forza controller is a remote to open and close the exhaust baffles.

Had my dealer pull the lines to the baffles. They stay open all the time. Sounds great on my 458 spider. Lots burbles, farts, pops and growls. Heaven If you want quiet, just get the revs below 3 grand on the highway.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Keeping the revs below 3000 in a 458 on the highway means bumbling along at 65-67 mph max. Not sure that's a solution. Depends on where one lives of course, but here in Europe where 80-90 mph on motorways are normal, 65 mph would be a chore.

16. Melvok

Melvok F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 25, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mel
    Its a possibility, sure. Sipl and cheap ...

But I think that noise always is not what I want and certainly my neighbours not.

I am happy to be able to switch with one click on my remote :)

17. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    70-80 mph is the max on lnterstates and 65 on Colorado state highways. So it’s no problem here. I try to avoid lnterstates as they are not the most fun way to get somewhere. Plus lots of state police lurk there. The only time l need to keep the noise down is when l am on the phone which is about 1% of the time.

18. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I have never had anyone complain about how loud the 458 is with the baffles open all the time.

The 488 is so quiet, you really don’t need to close the baffles anyway. ;)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  19. Henry Clemes

Henry Clemes Rookie

Jul 28, 2018
    Full Name:
    Henry Clemes
    Ive just installed the Forza in my 2019 488 Spider. Took 4 hours. Very easy to do and well worth the effort. No need to touch the rear bumper. Just follow the instructions on the Forza website. First remove the rear defuser which is easy even with the car sat on all wheels. Then in turn jack up one rear wheel, remove liner, connect wiring, route up to engine, refit liner, replace wheel, remove jack. Repeat exactly for other side. Connect both wires to controller, earth it and plastic wire tie it in place behind one of the upper engine side panels. Job done. Can save a bit of time if you wish by not fully removing rear defuser, just loosen one bolt at each side where it connects with wheel liner.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

20. Transman

Transman Karting

Nov 20, 2016
    New York
    Full Name:
    Stephen Ferraro
    It takes 2 1/2 hours to do the complete installation of the Forza unit by removing the bumper.
    Much easier to do that
    I’ve done it

21. Michaelw488

Michaelw488 Karting

Mar 20, 2018
    Full Name:
    Michael W
    IMHO 488spider sounds great with baffles permanently open! Nothing not factory,ETC...

22. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    As a heads up, the Forza controller for sale that is used on the regular 488 will NOT work on the Pista. I just had it installed on mine and it immediately threw engine faults. No word when or if there will be a Pista version.

23. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO

Sell it and plug up the air lines. Less things to go wrong.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  24. bisel

bisel Formula 3
    BANNED

Sep 12, 2012
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Full Name:
    Steve Bisel
    Pista version now available. No engine faults. Prototype was made and proven successful.

Steve

25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #25 Shadowfax, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    As Steves guinea pig I’m pleased to report that all is going well with his Forza prototype set up on my Pista. There has been no fault codes to date and I’ve given the car a few good runs now in varying environments. So yeah it definitely works and is fault free.

My impression so far is that the controller is proving a very worthwhile addition as it allows consistent volume during all types of driving along with being able to control the available sound at the push of a button.

Beforehand - prior to the Forza - each time the throttle was released the valves would close and the engine would run silent until the car reached full stand still where at idle the valves would re open - i assume to give some semblance you are actually in a 700hp sports car. I found that situation quite pathetic and disappointingly unbefitting the Pista -especially given its dramatic appearance and intended purpose.

Now control has finally been restored I’m genuinely finding the overall ownership experience far more satisfying and inline with what I originally expected and, whilst it could be fairly said that the volume doesnt increase during on throttle inputs that is mainly because the valves open up anyway upon most throttle inputs. So in that sense the difference/improvement is limited to the period between the release of each accelerator input where within that off throttle period it now sounds like there is actually an engine behind you whereas beforehand you could have been sitting in a lexus for all you knew. Sad but true.

Also, during performance driving where the throttle is momentarily released upon/toward corner entry the engine now remains audible and depending upon the rpms gives off varying degrees of burbling and pops which is something that was definitely never there before.

Furthermore, Im also finding that during each run there are odd moments in time where I’m returning the valves to stock for a bit of peace and quiet before the next onslaught.... may sound crazy but its all part of having options and ultimate control over the available sound and this to me is priceless.

I also think no matter what aftermarket system is put on this car to increase volume, while the valves are in operation you will still get no noise during off throttle and that is a real problem than can only be dealt with properly by a controller of some sort. Disconnecting the valves entirely is also limiting in the sense you disqualify amy opportunity of having peace and quiet when you feel the need, in addition to the fact that a permanent performance drop off would be imposed at all times.

So there is the review! Pista guys now have an option other than just adding an entirely new system! And, so far Im finding the car is more than loud enough stock - that is when the valves are open...which can now be controlled.