3 pedal vs DCT | Page 3 | FerrariChat

3 pedal vs DCT

Discussion in '360/430' started by 360+Volt=Prius, Jan 6, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

The best DCT I ever drove was in the second generation R8.
    The best downshifts were made with the tranny in auto/sport. Hitting the brakes into a turn the downshifts came fast and furious with rev match and screaming exhaust. I have not had the same experience with other cars.

2. AllardK3

AllardK3 Rookie

Aug 28, 2013
    AZ
    Full Name:
    Mike D
    I drive my 360 for the pleasure and joy of it. I enjoy the satisfaction I get from a perfectly matched downshift while entering a corner. The only way i would take a DCT in my weekend fun car is if it had 4 pedals..... I don't race my Ferrari, that's what Japanese and German cars are for.

3. Blitz88

Blitz88 Karting

I agree. 5 out of 6 of my cars have a stick. The 6th is mostly driven by my wife.

one4torque likes this.
  4. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Not true. Clutch packs and sensors can be bought separately.

5. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Haven't had time to read all of this thread yet.

A few things, the Bosch engine ecus which manage f1 and gated have calibration settings to allow you to adjust speed at which the revs rise and fall based on time thresholds. It's caused forced amplitude and its entirely independent of the flywheel weight, its done in software. It can feel very strange if configured incorrectly. So even though the flywheels may be different weights the calibration can be adjusted so ecu controls throttle bodies torque requests to manipulate speed of drop to match the parameters they feel work well as a driving proposition.

When I did the gated Scud ecu conversion it's one area I didn't configure first time correctly and the revs would drop too slowly. After a bit more calibration it was fine.

You'd be surprised how much dormant software calibration is in all even latest ecus to allow them to run on a gated mode. To do it properly however requires full knowledge about how to accomplish it above and beyond the mechanicals. That alone is no easy feat..

Porsche releasing a modern 911 with a gated is all fine as they have Bosch engineering team to do the recalibration, software support etc. Retrofitting is a big challenge on modern due to the ecu control strategies alone. This also requires changes to ediff mode etc on f430.

PKIM likes this.
  6. becausephilchow

becausephilchow Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2016
    Hong Kong
    I'm happy with both. I'm in the process of swapping my F1 360 to 6MT, and then, i'm also looking at picking up a 458. Both serve different purposes!

7. PKIM

PKIM Karting

Jan 1, 2004
    Redlands
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I'm in the camp that feels that the cars transmissions follows the erra of the car. I have. '93 NSX and it would be strange to have a DCT in that, it was meant to be a 3pedal. Shifting and rev matching is so beautiful in the NSX! Then I have a DCT e92 M3 and I love that, great DD so smooth and pulls hard, love taking this car on long road trips like Vegas. . Then I have the F1 430, I really love the trans, shifting is not boring (like the DCT), I love the rawness, head jerking shifts. But like everyone that has a F1 worried about the reliability, I think that's why ppl with f430 wants to upgrade to 458.

one4torque likes this.