My new Testarossa | Page 2 | FerrariChat

My new Testarossa

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Gary Sandberg, Jun 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Double clutching also reduces strain on the synchros. Anyway, given some of the concerns about transmissions, differentials, etc for these cars, I'll continue to do so.

At least, the additional movements on my part are good exercise.

fridolin_pt likes this.
  2. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    nonsense on the double clutching

MOSS, Jakuzzi and turbo-joe like this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The trick to upshifting this car in my experience is to do so deliberately and forcefully. No double clutching necessary. Double clutching and rev matching on down shifts is great, obviously.

4. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The engine and the gearbox are the highlights of the testarossa - enjoy it :)

turbo-joe likes this.
  5. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Double clutch going both up and down the gears. Drive it like a crash box.

Never drop through the gears as you come to a stop - go straight to neutral..... brakes are cheaper than transmissions.

Always double clutch... clutches are cheaper than synchros AND cheaper than the driveline.

Learn how to drive

fridolin_pt likes this.
  6. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    I absolutely disagree

the shafts inside the gearbox will slow down during clutching and so the synchros have more rpm difference then only clutching once.

the double clutching is ok when you have no synchros and the single gears are moving when shifting on the shafts. but also then you have to accelerate the engine between the 2 clutching when you shift down. when you shift up you may wait a little before shifting from one gear to the next gear and then also only first shift in neutral and then into the next gear.
    this you can learn very good when you have an old truck. so when you are good none can hear then when you shift, but when you are a beginner then everybody will hear your shifting. but that is ok, shifting may be no secret - everybody may hear it :)

BOKE, MOSS and Shamile like this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I agree with Romano. The rpm’s fall fast on the TR between gears and youre just working against yourself by double clutching upshifts.

“Learn how to drive” means not doing this in my opinion. Shift fast, smoothly and with authority at the appropriate times. The car will feel like a racecar. Wonderful experience when performed correctly.

raysur, turbo-joe and Shamile like this.
  8. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    When up shifting (acceleration), the input shaft goes from spinning at a high speed (lower gear), to a lower speed to match the next higher gear ratio. The synchros match the speeds to engage the gear.... and wear out as they do so.

Double clutching as you go UP thru the gears... go to neutral, let out the clutch (no throttle blip) then engage the clutch to go into the next taller gear ratio.

The momentary clutch engagement in neutral synchronizes input and output shafts at a lower speed to match the next higher gear as it is engaged.

The clutch engagement essentially acts as a synchro.

When dropping down a gear - the throttle blip (in neutral, clutch out) will increase the input/output shafts to match the next lower gear.

So... tell me... why wear out your synchro instead of an easy to replace clutch?

Learn how to drive!

9. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Keep in mind... as you upshift without double clutching.... yes, your engine speed drops quickly, BUT the transmission is unaffected because your clutch is disengaged during the shift.

10. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    These cars are quite old fashioned. Heavy low geared manual steering and obdurate gear change makes you wonder what the fuss is about, sometimes it feels like the car has a hangover. But get it warm, on the right roads, and flying, and there really is nothing like it. It becomes agile all of a sudden, and on the limit in the dry, it’s amazing. The engine punches well in mid range but loves revs. Effort in equals reward out. Enjoy!

Gary Sandberg, xplodee and turbo-joe like this.
  11. godabitibi

godabitibi F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 11, 2012
    Papineauville, Quebec
    Full Name:
    Claude Laforest
    Congrats ln your new purchase. I had one EXACTLY like that a few years ago. From Toronto too and sold it back to a Toronto collector but I don't think it's the same car. Mine was 86865. I know of at least 3 yellow testarossa were sold new by the Toronto dealer back then.
    This is not a modern car and the shifting will never be close to todays cars. Get use to it and enjoy. Mine reacted very well to redline NF gear oil and was smoother after.

Have fun.

12. Gary Sandberg

Thanks for the congrats. No, not the same car. Mine is 84505.

Thanks for the advice on the gear oil. I checked the engine oil as well and it still looks like it was just put in.

As for having fun, 600 km in 10 days. August 3-4, heading to Kelowna for a Ronald McDonald House fund-raiser as a children's charity event.

So, for a bit, one of the children gets to be my co-pilot. Can't think of a better way to share these cars.

13. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    True. Double clutching was for old stick shift trucks back in the 60s and 70s. It is a complete waste of time and energy on the TR. Fully Syncro trans.

turbo-joe likes this.
  14. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    If you use the synchros... they wear out.

If you use the clutch... it wears out.

I prefer to wear out the clutch.

PS: my trans shifts fine - cold or hot. Does yours?

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Mine does shift through every gear smooth cold. I have owned 4 and this is the first one that has. Hitting the clutch twice will do nothing to save the synchros, absolutely nothing. Its a myth but functional on non synchros trans.

BOKE and turbo-joe like this.
  16. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Saying so... does not make it so.

Make your case.

“If you use the synchros... they wear out.” Per me.

“If you use the synchros... they DON’T wear out”. Per you.

17. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    This is absurd. Its like saying don’t use your engine because it will wear out if you do. People here have stated 100-200k miles on their TR’s. You think they needed new synchros? If they did, how much $/mile did that cost?

Double clutching upshifts sounds like hell on earth to me lol

turbo-joe likes this.
  18. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    With practice, you don’t even realize you’re doing it. If hard acceleration is in order, I don’t DC - it is faster to let the synchros do the work. Under hard braking (corners) - ALWAYS DC. Casual driving - no difference.

A properly executed DC downshift under hard braking with heal/toe is a true joy.

To each his own.... but my reasoning is based on fact.

fridolin_pt and Gary Sandberg like this.
  19. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Nobody here has said anything to discredit the value and beauty of a rev matched double clutch downshift

20. vincenzo

vincenzo F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    The logic is so convoluted....

DC upshift gets:
    DC downshift gets:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Gary Sandberg likes this.
  21. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Congrats on the car Gary!
    I noticed in another thread that you did the Kelowna / August / McDonald charity drive last weekend. How was that? My wife and myself were thinking about participating this year but life got in the way. I've seen a few YouTube videos on it but tough to tell on how the event was.
    Thanks
    Barry

22. Gary Sandberg

Hi Barry:

Probably the most fun you can have with your clothes on LOL. My co-pilot was a 14 year old boy named Angus, who as he told me had been hoping for a ride in a Testarossa. Other cars, Lamborghinis (including a Countach), McLarens (a Senna included), Porsches, Ferraris (including a F50), Corvettes, Jags, Aston Martin, Bently,....Also saw another Testarossa and a 512M.

Over 240 cars, we drove from Kelowna to Penticton for lunch then back. The fun part is that all of the highway entrances on 97 were blocked by the police pretty much from downdown Kelowna, through Westbank and on to Peachland. A closed course with people lining both sides for pictures. Like everyone else, let the horses out of the barn and hit 250 - 260 kph (155-161 mph).

The best part - the event for this year raised $800,000 for Ronald McDonald House. Total over the four years, $1.6 M

I'm already planning for next year. If you're not a member of the Ferrari Club of America, I suggest you join to keep up to date for next year through the BC Chapter. Also, register your e-mail on the Okanagan Dream Rally website.

As for my car, 2000 km since it arrived on July 12. Not a hiccup - even in 30+ C weather (90 + F). I was worried about water temp and oil temp but nada. No problems. Drove back to Chilliwack the same evening with a friend and his wife in their F430. I love this car. The only way I'll give it up is when someone pryes my cold, dead fingers off the steering wheel.

Shamile likes this.
  23. Enzo Belair

Enzo Belair Formula 3

Jul 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Enjoy the car, I love mine, the TR is just a special Ferrari. A joy to drive on the open road, and a work of art to look at.

24. barryr

barryr Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2010
    Regina, Canada
    Hi Gary
    I’ve been a club member for 7?8? Years. A year or two before I bought my car. I am with the Alberta/ Saskatchewan/ Manitoba chapter. I also already get the charity emails. I’ve inquired about a few cars at August motors, so once you do that it looks like you are on the list.
    Hopefully next year!
    I’ve done a lot of the preventative maintenance and 3 belt changes on mine
    Barry

25. Gary Sandberg

I'm very much a newby or still enjoying my favourite toy from "Christmas Day" - take your pick. LOL

Catching up on a few minor things myself - like 29 year old rubber bushings. But all good.

Doing a club run to Sun Peaks for Sept. 13-15, then the car will probably be put away for the fall/winter season.

Post a picture of your car and I look forward to seeing it next year. Also. might consider at trip to Alberta for one or two of your events. I have a sister in Calgary.