FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue... | Page 4 | FerrariChat

FF transmission problems? I am hearing this is an issue...

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by trygve11, Oct 1, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

@gh0st0 ...sorry, but at risk of being annoying, I must say that it is impossible to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that something does not exist. In other words, no one can confirm that this issue does not exist in "the newer ff's" So, by definition, no can confirm that it is rectified. Sorry, we are in love with the GF that sleeps around.....the unreliable, but pricey Ferrari.

gh0st0 likes this.
  2. gh0st0

gh0st0 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 2, 2018
    Midwest
    Just wishful thinking I guess.

I wouldn’t say Its the girl that sleeps around, but daddy issues would align more

NuorderSG likes this.
  3. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I should add, that the Clutch Pack & Cage are in the neighborhood of $22K at the time this was written. Ferrari won't sell this part to anyone but a Ferrari dealer (according to Algar Ferrari in Pa.) , and it must be dealer installed. I asked the techs what is the life of this part. I was told that it can last a long time if one drives the car around for trips to the grocery store or dropping off kids at school. However, because the clutch is "constantly slipping," upon changing gears, spirited driving and aggressive driving could cause the clutch pack to fail in as little as 10K miles.

Note that the clutch pack can't be worn down to 90%....usually when it is worn down to about 50%, it would require replacement. -just a helpful note to fellow members here. Sigh, a 2005 Ford GT is sounding pretty sweet right about now!

@gh0st0, true, I only mentioned that because "she" likes to stay the night over at the shop with the mechanic, more so that at my house :( She has been out a Month waiting for the speed sensor repair.

of2worlds likes this.
  4. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    So the speed sensor was able to be replaced without replacing the entire transmission? In the early days, open transmission/repairs were not an option and the solution was to simply remove and replace the entire transmission, a $25,000 proposition. Was this a dealer job, Ferrari of Silicon Valley?

5. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

6. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Yes, only certain Certified techs can do the work.

I guess they needed time to train, stock parts, and build the solution around fixing this issue so that the quality andn longevity is there. But yes, I am replacing the sensor. I also decided, in the end, to replace the clutch pack... which ended up being about 83% good.

My thought on this is really that the labor is such a huge part of the cost, that it just made sense for me to spend the money and get pretty much a "new" transmission at half the expense..." while they were in there" working on it already.

v35 likes this.
  7. NuorderSG

NuorderSG Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I should add , that no way are the tranmssions $25K currently. Perhaps that was the warranty price reimbursement to the dealer. Though, for private pay (as of the date of this post) I got a quote some weeks ago for near $47K. ...and yes FSV is doing the work.

8. v35

v35 Karting

May 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    If you don’t mind me asking, what was the ballpark estimate for private pay to replace just the faulty speed sensor.

9. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Well maybe 3 is the charm?:D

10. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    So, big news, MY GTC4 lusso’s ENGINE IS BROKEN.. what the actual ****?
    After 2 broken rear gearboxes, 1 broken front gearbox, ptu, door handle
    Issues etc etc

7 months of **** and counting..
    there is a fellow Belgian guy facing the same **** as me and he filed a lawsuit against ferrari. This is the article.

https://m.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20190715_04510797
    I talked to him and he wants me to go into the lawsuit with him since we are facing the same problems.
    The dealer told me that ferrari would compensate me for 10k if I buy a new (more expensive car. Making me lose even mor.
    I still love ferrari don’t get me wrong. I’d love a new ferrari. But in this case i believe that I am entitled to a compensation for giving me such a Lemon car..
    in the usa apparently there is a law that states that you should get a new one. Then 10k for 7 months of misery in 17 months of ownership seems like nothing..
    thoughts?
    Any of you finally have **** with the lusso?

ernie and BOKE like this.
  11. gilly6993

gilly6993 Formula 3

Aug 20, 2009
    Longmeadow, MA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Asthenia....Very sorry to hear and Ferrari should absolutely buy back that vehicle. In the US it would be the law....my ‘17 Lusso is getting the PTU replaced and I am week 5 at the dealer....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Glad to read I’m not alone but I feel sorry for you too. I hope it ends with this but I can tell you I’ve also gotten 2 recall letters from ferrari.. 1 for door cable and injectors, and 1 for airbags..

13. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    wow what a disaster - sorry you dealing with it but all on their dime right?

14. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Still not even a hint at a compensation.. 7 months in 17 months.. if that is not enough, than Idk anymore..
    Plus it is still in the shop.. at least another 2 months i guess.. they haven’t even taken out the engine fully

15. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    where are you? in the US?

16. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    Belgium, europe..

17. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    What a nightmare. I'm wishing Porsche would come up with a proper shooting brake with similar body shape and proportion.

Does a car with a fully worn out clutch pack become a RWD? $25K-$45K to replace the PTU?!...It might be more cost effective to remove the PTU and turn it into a RWD.

18. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh ferrari cant let this be...ridiculous - FFs are worth sub 150k today - how is an owner supposed to be liable for a 40k fix on something that was clearly a design fault

Bundy, otakki and Way2fast like this.
  19. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Too bad Belgium doesn't have Lemon Laws like the US, you would definitely qualify.

20. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Ferrari should warrant the sensor for 100k miles instead of charging me $6k a year for drive train warranty

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Bundy, Gh21631 and otakki like this.
  21. Asthenia

Asthenia Rookie

Mar 28, 2017
    In 20 days after announcing that they have to replace the engine, we are at this stage..

Yes, that engine is still in place. Just the red cover and valves are out
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

22. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Exactly!

23. MBi

MBi Rookie

May 9, 2016
    New York
    I would say make it reasonable 4/5 year power train warranty like other luxury cars and a certain mileage limit like 30/40K. These transmissions just wear much faster and have a lower expected life but transmissions failing under 10K miles with spirited driving seems unacceptable. Track use though on any car voids the warranty I would assume.

24. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You cannot even buy a warranty after 56k miles or 15 yrs

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

25. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    yeh continue to hope for the best and expect the worst!

otakki likes this.