F430 key fob doesn't work | FerrariChat

F430 key fob doesn't work

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by azzurribaggio, Jul 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. azzurribaggio

azzurribaggio Formula Junior

So my 2nd key fob didn't work so I replaced the batteries in them and tried to arm the car but it still doesn't work.
    What is the next step now?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Do you have a way to test the batteries? It is not unheard of to get defective ones. Or try swapping them with the batteries in the known good fob. Also double check the polarity. Sorry I don't know the key initialization process. If it isn't in the owners manual, it might require the assistance of the dealer. But I thought the initialization was only required once for a new key.

whatheheck likes this.
  3. azzurribaggio

I put the two batteries in two different styles, both with " +" up and another time with the bottom "+" down and the top "+" up. unfortunately I didn't see the polarity of the old batteries when they came out.
    I hesitate to remove the batteries from the working one because I get nervous removing those covers! But that for sure would eliminate a few things so I'll try it out.

Thanks!

4. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    As mentioned double check battery voltage. Some are old stock and voltage is too low.

If not the dealer will need to reprogram your keys for you. You will need your key code.

Expect to pay between 1 - 2 hours of labor.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

5. Eric C

Eric C F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 20, 2009
    St. Louis, MO
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does it start your car or are you just having issues with locking the doors?

6. azzurribaggio

Just cannot activate the alarm, I used this key fob to go for a drive a few weeks ago, when I got to our destination and tried to lock the car is when I first realized I couldn't activate the alarm.

7. whatheheck

whatheheck F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 27, 2006
    Seattle, Wa
    Full Name:
    Dan L.
    There's an alarm reset procedures listed here somewhere. Kindly do a search.

Also try doing a battery/ master power reset.

Dan

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

8. azzurribaggio

Btw what should the polarity of both batteries in the key fob be? Both "+" facing up?

9. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  10. azzurribaggio

11. f355spider

Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The alarm system has a rolling code, which means the code changes every time you lock/unlock the car. If you have a key that has not been used in a while, the code can roll so far that alarm fob will lose synchronization with the system.

You can try to synchronize the fob by pressing the button until the code rolls enough so that it will work again. I have had fobs that have required 100 to 150 presses of the button until the fob works again. It doesn't take long, just press the button until the alarm responds again. If the fob will still not synchronize, use the procedure below to get it working (this is usually only done for fobs that have never been programmed to the car)

To synchronize the Alarm Transmitters you must have one functional key.

1. Using a functional key remote, slowly press the button sixteen times. This will

enter the self learn mode as indicated by the LED not responding.

2. Select one new key, press the lock button ONCE

3. Select the second new key and again press the lock button ONCE (If more keys

are available repeat step 3 accordingly)

4. DO NOT continue to press lock/unlock button on the keys, this will cause the

system to loose synchronization.

5. To exit the self learn mode, install any key into the ignition and cycle the ignition

one time. (If the door is locked after the last key is entered, do not use the lock

button to open the car, use the key in the lock cylinder.)

13. azzurribaggio

So I tested the batteries with my volt meter and they are good, 3v reading.
    I'll try pressing the button 100-150 times (hopefully not that long) as motob stated above.
    For the 5 step procedure, in step 2, I don't have a new key. What do I do at that step?

f355spider likes this.
  14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I have found that a local locksmith, if they are GOOD at modern systems can help you out, if the dealer is too far or too dear a cost.

Ducatis have almost the same system as Ferrari is using, and they can examine your working key for codes, and so forth.

15. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The procedure is to get the alarm system to learn new keys. You are trying to get it to learn an old key that the system is not recognizing. So where the instructions say "new key", you are going to use the key that you have that doesn't operate the alarm system.

Since we know that the key that doesn't operate the alarm is for the car (as it starts the car and works in the locks), I have to assume that the alarm system learned this key in the past and now the code has rolled too far or the alarm remote portion of the key is malfunctioning.

If pressing the button 100-150 times doesn't work, try the relearn procedure. If that doesn't work, you can take the key to a locksmith that has a device to see if the alarm fob has a good output signal. if it is broken, then you will need to get a new key/alarm fob, have the key cut to match the original, and swap the tiny immobilizer chip (The five sided chip in the upper right portion of the key in the photo above to the new key. You will have to then perform the alarm fob learn procedure as outlined above.

16. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    #16 Sj_engr, Nov 21, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Trying to add a used eBay key to unlock my F430. I will deal with the cut/ignition pill later.

Has anyone gotten this to work before?

17. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    Push the working keyfob button until it stops locking and unlocking doors, roughly 16 times. push the original fob that has quite working. Install in ignition and turn on. This will resolve the issue. Same procedure for the maserati Product up to 2014.

18. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Ok yes I have noticed where the original FOB will appear to stop working and the alarm LED goes out. I did a press on the "new" (used fob from eBay) & then turned on the ignition with my original old key.
    Am I missing a step where I need to get the "new" key cut to the current "old" key for the ignition turn?
    I know in the Porsche 993 and other cars around the F430 age it is possible to get the remote fob to learn from ignition turns or similar procedures. Not having any luck yet.

19. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    I thought you were trying to get an original key that had stopped working. The procedure I outlined is for reinitializing a previously programmed key.
    If you are trying to add a key you will need an SD3 or equivalent and the key code to unlock the imobilizer and add the key.

20. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Thanks for confirming that it is a re-init procedure and not a programming one.

Are you aware if the used key has to have a matching code card (of the "new/used" key) vs. current code card (of the target F430) with it to be added via the SD3?

21. windsock

windsock Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 29, 2006
    you will need the original key code card that came with the car. It unlocks the cars alarm/IMO not the key.

22. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    Ok great news.

23. Sj_engr

Sj_engr Formula 3

Sep 15, 2020
    San Jose
    Full Name:
    dc
    FYI for others the code card is Ferrari PN 153603 and I was quoted $85 from a dealership. Sending documentation to start the order since need to be custom/matched to the VIN.

24. 00 550

00 550 Formula Junior

Oct 20, 2009
    FL
    Full Name:
    That guy
    I have a question. I had one key for my F430 but I have lost it in the last few days. I have ordered a new key from Ferrari. The car is unlocked. When the new key arrives, will I be able to start the engine or at least get the electronics to power on so that I can get it into neutral and push it out of the garage to tow to the dealership for fob programming?

25. Flyingbrick242

Flyingbrick242 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2017
    Northern AZ.
    Unfortunately you will not be able to start the vehicle as the Immob is not yet programmed to the new key..however you will be able to mechanically enable key position 2 which will power up the vehicle and allow neutral and a unlock the steering wheel to maneuver the car onto the tow truck.
    Good Luck.