Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?! | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. I felt the same way, I own a lot of Porsches and 4 Ferrari's currently...then I just bought a Lambo Performante Spyder...it's gorgeous and my wife LOVES it and cant stop driving it. While it's different from the Ferrari and Porsche in many ways...I think it's a nice compliment if you already own the others as it's just another version of the same ideas...would it be my one and only...no chance...but if you have several it's worthy of adding one.[/QUOTE]
    Co-sign on this.

Lambos are great, but they're kind of like the automotive equivalent of lizard skin loafers. Great to have a pair. But only if you have a few other pairs of dress shoes lying around in the close.

raclaims and SoCal to az like this.
  2. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I would never own a pair of lizard skin loafers. No problem owning a Performante.

raclaims, of2worlds and tekaefixe like this.
  3. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Perf, so good.

dmark1 and Coincid like this.
  4. rockminster

rockminster Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2003
    Lake Tahoe
    I prefer the Pista Coupe over the Speciale but the Speciale Aperta over the Pista Spider. How’s that for an honest hedge?

The Pista is spectacular with my only criticism being the sound, which may or may not be remedied with an aftermarket exhaust.

The Speciale Aperta allows one of the best elements of the car, the exhaust, to be an even deeper part of the experience. Haven’t seen a Pista Spider but I’m not expecting the open top to materially improve the OEM sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    This is the main problem...
    the answer soon on aftermarket exhaust...

6. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    in summary: Pista is successful but two points are annoying:

1) the sound of the OEM exhaust
    3) it is not radical enough

Shadowfax and dmark1 like this.
  7. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    How would you like it to be more radical? In the styling? Even more HP?

8. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    IMHO power is enough
    Styling is perfect

Sharper suspension
    less sound-absorbing
    Sound more present and more melodious

9. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Define “Radixal”. Cause it’s damn sure radical looking (excuse the 80s phrase). It’s the highest hp/wt ratio in Ferrari history. It’s defiantly on point track wise. What isn’t “radical enough”?

10. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    IMHO it needs these points to be perfect :

Sharper suspension
    less sound-absorbing
    Sound more present and more melodious

of2worlds and dmark1 like this.
  11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    By sharper suspension, do you mean greater feedback from the road surface to the driver? Less compliant or as some here call it, absorption of road surface irregularities.

12. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Yes greater feedback is very important

McLaren Senna is a very interesting concept a lot of aerodynamic support and informative suspension

tekaefixe and Coincid like this.
  13. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Have you driven it?

14. ScrappyB

ScrappyB Formula 3

Oct 3, 2017
    Full Name:
    T
    I own a Senna and would describe the driving experience as being exactly what you'd expect based on the car's design brief. It's a (barely) street legal race car that's massively compromised on the road. I love it and appreciate the obsessive attention to weight and aero, but it could never be my only sports car. The Pista is a better all rounder with some performance sacrifices in the name of usability and styling, but still extremely capable.

Surfah, of2worlds, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  15. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    I agree !
    But Pista slightly more sharp would have been perfect without losing his versatility !

of2worlds likes this.
  16. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Yes ScrappyB described it very well

of2worlds likes this.
  17. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The evolution of super cars is in the direction of blazing speed, greater refinement and comfort with less attention to overall driver engagement with suspensions that minimize feedback with the road.

anishka likes this.
  18. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Honestly as far as sound goes, I couldn’t care less. I like a nice exhaust note but it is very far down my list of wants in a sports car. (Besides, I have a Perf now that checks that box rather vigorously!)

My main component is looks and driveability. It has to not only be stunning in appearance, it has to endure stop and go traffic, be parked easily with physical contortions and yet run like a bat out of hell.

The Pista checks every one of these boxes perfectly. I believe it is the prettiest Ferrari (La Ferrari excepted) since the 60s.

veilstylez, SoCal to az and of2worlds like this.
  19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Your preferences and priorities align greatly to the trend in super car evolution and the vast majority of buyers must feel likewise. No value judgment, simply an objective observation.

veilstylez and 458-Italia like this.
  20. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    #120 458-Italia, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Perfectly right!
    Majority of buyers feel like dmark1 wishes

Challenge Stradale, Scuderia and Speciale enthusiasts have become a minority

21. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The super car manufacturers are simply catering to their clientele's desire for greater creature comforts and a more comfortable, civilized driving experience. Perhaps this is due to the ageing demographic, a society that has grown accustomed to voice commands, hands free electronics and recreational activities that do not demand intense involvement either cerebral or physical.

458-Italia likes this.
  22. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Now wait just a damn minute before you put me in a pigeon hole that i do not belong in. I loved my CS and Speciale ! Look at my list....How did these cars NOT meet my criteria?

Would either of you cluckers like a Daytona to drive to dinner vs a Pista? In the hot Texas summer, with the wife? And throw in heavy traffic on the way there.

tekaefixe likes this.
  23. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    far from me the idea of making a value judgment
    Pista responds perfectly to its specification in the era of time but away from the DNA of a Challenge Stradale
    the evolution is towards ease of driving and everyday use but makes compromises on racing spirit

24. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    But isn't racing spirit just about going faster in all conditions?
    OK, maybe not for Ferrari, judging by their current F1 performance...

Elisesko likes this.
  25. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Imagine the racing spirit of a Challange Stradale in a new smaller unique body design. Containing a Speciale spec motori plus transmission and a weight of 2700 pounds with light weight ie. expensive materials.
    Instead we have 1000 horsepower dragging around 4,000 pounds. These days the Pista seems to be the very best compromise on offer...