prepping for 355 major service. First step | FerrariChat

prepping for 355 major service. First step

Discussion in '348/355' started by emac, Jul 16, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Decided to redo my garage floor after 20 years of major abuse. Everyone on here seems to have these spotless garages, so I thought I would at least try to clean up my act! I figured it would motivate me to do better work when I do my major service this winter. It was also a good time to clean out and get rid of stuff.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

rennspeed, WATSON and malex like this.
  2. goose22b

goose22b Rookie

Aug 11, 2017
    Prosper, TX
    Full Name:
    Brett
    What a nice upgrade! Did you do the work yourself too?

I managed to do my own floor, but was not smart enough to time it correctly. I went through 2 shirts and 2 hats epoxying my garage in August Texas heat.

3. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Thanks. Myself and another guy did the work. We hit the old floor with a floor sander, degreased/etched, 2 coats of epoxy, sealer. I should have taken a picture with everything in the garage. What a mess. This about my 4th or 5th time doing a garage floor, so I have it down to a science. Hard to do solo and I know exactly how you felt! Its nice to have someone on the roller and someone keeping the paint flowing. I did this one without flakes and put a couple of coats of clear acrylic sealer over it. I did the last coat of clear (not pictured) in my boxers and barefoot late last night. I am heading out of town for a week Saturday, so I am giving it plenty of time to cure. I am going to trim the floor with some rubber cove moulding and put up peg board as i am tired of looking at a bunch of screws all over the walls. FWIW, I upgraded my tool box with a large US General box from Harbor Freight. Very pleased with it.

I wish I could go back and build a new shop from scratch. I have a friend that is building a new shop, and I am so jealous as he has been using my place for years and knows what to do different. I just keep telling him dont go cheap, do it right the first time.

4. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    rennspeed and emac like this.
  5. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Ken, that is awesome! Did you build another shop to put everything in?

Qavion likes this.
  6. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Looks great!! @kenneyd - Is the car lowered, or is that the stock ride height? The car looks so good in this color.

7. kenneyd

kenneyd Formula 3

Sep 30, 2014
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Should have gone bigger, I wish I went 3 wide, 2 deep so I wouldn't have to do so much shuffling to get cars out. Mine is 40x30 but already filled up. Just bought a tire machine and balancer, can't find a good place for them yet.

Im literally out there everyday, love my shop

Thanks!
    It is lowered, stock coilovers.

Suffyk likes this.
  8. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Looks great Ken. Your garage makes your 355 look small. I have 2-post lift envy as well. I can't even fit a lift that big in my current garage.

Your 3 wide x 2 deep comment is interesting. My wife and I looked at a house this past weekend with multiple garages. My concern about the detached garage was that it'd be difficult to get cars in/out as it was narrow, but went way back.

9. SoCal1

SoCal1 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 14, 2011
    SoCal LA/OC/New Mexico
    Full Name:
    Tim Dee
    I dont do clean, it washes away all the old timers that were standing behind you in the shadows late at night

Clean kills imagination :)

Looks good BTW and good luck on your service :)

xo