ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT?? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT??

Discussion in '308/328' started by steve meltzer, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    This is running aftermarket EI right? So there are not distributors to advance.

The aftermarket radiator is certainly a bit strange.

The color is killer tho

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The aftermarket distributor most likely has a solid state trigger but from the invoice that tuttlebenne referred to it has a mechanical advance since it lists a "weight kit" in the parts section and they talk about it sticking.

19633500GT likes this.
  3. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    If there's a problem with the "incorrect distributor", I guess you could leave the MSD box as a trigger, and use the original distributor, as it's included in the sale. no?
    wonder why they would put in the wrong distributor?! steve

4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    That invoice was 10 years ago. wonder how the car runs now and why they ?? knowingly ?? put in the wrong distributor. Since the original distributor is included in the sale, why couldn't you use it for the advance and the msd box for the trigger? s

5. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'd just run a high end kit like Nick Forza's honestly.

Timing sucks lol

6. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    OK, Triple Black the body number is 454 and 454A. make sense? thanx steve
    too busy to post a picture, but the seller posted the info and i can post later, if you'd like. thanx steve

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Steve, you went to see it and did not go for a test drive. I would be very suspicious of a car for sale and they won't let you test drive it. Doesn't make sense.

Why is there an aftermarket radiator in this car? Was the front end smacked and this is what they came up with. To carve-up the spare tire area to fit a radiator seems very amateurish.

Color looks very manipulated in the photos. I love dino blue, pozzi blue and the other ferrari blues, but have never seen that color.

Like the underside and the suspension looks to have fresh aftermarket bushing.

After goung to the BJ auction in Ct a couple weeks back, it would be very hard for me to buy a car sight unseen at an auction.

8. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx so much for your observations (i assume it's) Mr. White. They did offer to let me drive the car, but if you know Houston, you know there was no quick and easy place to do so, and i was on a short leash, as was my buddy. I know both the sales manager and marketing guy and I have confidence that if I were to buy the car, and there was a problem, it would be addressed. I'm not an expert, but I found no evidence of front end damage, nor did I find anything other than the radiator, which does bother me, as it should any bidder. I've bought cars sight unseen and been unhappy and ecstatic, as well. it's not a great idea to do so, but it can work out. If there's one place to buy the car sight unseen, it's probably BaT, but even a PPI can miss stuff. No good answers, but do your homework. Honestly, i'm conflicted, as I'd have to sell one of my beloved toys to buy this one, so I'm ambivalent about bidding. tomorrow we'll see. thanx again for your thoughts. steve

9. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    The creed is "documentation, documentation, documentation" so if the service history shows a problem with the distributor and no resolution, then....

Thankfully the original distributors are included with the car so why not return them to service? I chucked the retard half of the dual points in both distributors and set the remaining set for dwell in 1986 and haven't been in there since. All I did was put high output coils on the car (MSD Blaster) and there have been no ignition problems. I don't see the need to convert to electronic ignition.

10. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The documentation shows that the original radiator had a leak and the owner had provided the new radiator to the shop. As I said earlier the aluminum radiator is thicker but there should be notches in the lower tank so it will fit into the original mounts and the extra inch of thickness should protrude forward and not interfere with the spare tire well.There is actually no room for any protrusion rearward beyond the dimensions of the original radiator. The ones sold by Nick’s Forza are fabricated to fit with no modifications to the chassis.

11. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx guys, for all of the info. should I purchase this car, you'll be hearing back from me! steve

12. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    if you read the description very carefully, it says "The removed distributor is included along with a number of other small spares parts and a bulb/fuse kit". Sounds like there is only one distributor, one coil, etc. am i missing something here? thanx, newbie steve

13. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    I'll let "Triple Black" answer by himself, but to me that makes perfect sense:

#22027 has 423A
    #22063 has 427A
    #22181 has 445A

#22361 has 492
    #22377 has 493A

So #22265 with 454 / 454A falls right into sequence.

Rgds

14. tuttebenne

tuttebenne F1 Rookie

Mar 26, 2003
    Bay Shore, NY
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Since this is critical, and the bidding has started to get serious, I would go directly to the seller and get it straight on what does and does not come with the car. Remember, you buy cars from sellers, not auction sites.

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx for all of the info and advice. i think the car is going to be sold for me than i believe it to be worth, but we'll see. thanx again. steve

16. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Good luck Steve. I think Chas car was lightyears ahead of this one in every way, but it sold for 99k.

17. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    You obviously need TWO proper matching distributors, last I saw they were about $800 each.
    But none of these parts are getting more plentiful!!

18. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    honestly, i'm surprised that they're only $800! since you live in Houston, did you see the car? I did, and there was rust or at least paint bubbles on the lower surfaces of all 4 quarter panels. great colorl, nice appearance for a $70K car....too many other things need to be done to get to a 90K car. steve

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Was there not a model (maybe Euro) that used one 8 cyl distributor?

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Yes of course, a Euro car had a single 8 place distributor early on.

Even harder to find than our North American R1 R2 points version!
    Caps were expensive too.

No I have not seen this car in person, just looking at the pictures here.
    I had my car "de rusted" it was about a month's worth of welding......

21. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Sold US$ 90K. Not bad when you look at Dino 246 prices;), the spread is miles too big.

Come back in 10 years and see how these have appreciated.

22. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    $94,500 all in, if it did in fact have needs in re: to the body, that's a good chunk of change. Those photos absolutely sold that car.

23. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    I saw the car and it was beautiful, both in photos (excellent as we all seem to agree) and live. However, the car has either rust or bubbles in the paint on all 4 of the lower quarter panels, no jack, no spare, problematic placement of the aluminium (sp) rad, wrong distributors, no tools, missing it's original 14" wheels, poor job of upholstery in that price range. In short, a great great color on a nice 70-75K driver...which is when I stopped bidding. For 95K, it should have been w/o quibbles.
    steve

tuttebenne and 19633500GT like this.
  24. 19633500GT

Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I'm just sitting here hoping mine goes higher than the current $25K bid LOL.

I agree, at 70-75 for this, as a nice B driver, would make an excellent car. At 95...kinda doesn't make much sense to me. One could stretch another 40-50 and get a Vetro.

25. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    Well, it appears the carbed B's survived the bubble of 14-16