Philosophical Question: An LS Swapped Ferrari... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Philosophical Question: An LS Swapped Ferrari...

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Golden Steed, Jul 22, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    As an C5 LS1 owner, I'm enjoying this thread.

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  2. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    I spent a couple of thou getting all the aftermarket crud out of my 360. That said, I love conversions like this. Why not? It's a challenge to get it right, and it's very very different.

Also, I bet that car was not a prime example. Probably a rescue project at best.

Texas Forever likes this.
  3. willrace

willrace Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 21, 2006
    North Tay-has
    Full Name:
    Kurt
    Yep - People seem to forget/ignore that the original engine was popped during a track day.

Texas Forever and G. Pepper like this.
  4. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If you were trying for sarcasm, it failed to come through.

5. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    A ferrari is very much about the motor with the rest thrown in for free.

Lots of engines may make more hp, is that the only measure. If you run fast and hard like on track a motor with a wide power band that can sustain revs is the way to go, that would be the ferrari motor.
    If youre driving on the street, low down slugs of Tq have their advanges, ie the vette. For most drivers and the stoplight grand prix Ls is a far better choice, excpet maybe in refinement.

Each sportscar car is a vision, the motor chosen or developed for it is part of that vision.

Nothing wrong with changing it, a 360 is neither rare nor seminal, and as others have said maybe this one had already lost its motor. As to what people prefer, well the market decides. Plus the 360 is an older car and was one fo the fastest for its time. Does anyone thing a 488 would be faster or better with a ls? I dont. But then a few yeras from now the new TT5.4 quad cam vette motor with 750hp will be in junkyard, on some level if someone had a 30K blown motor ferrari maybe it will make sense. Beautiful styling, great motor, great price whats the issue.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    The only major limitation of the current Vette (and other front engined high HP high TQ cars is traction.
    Putting the engine behind the driver helps massively.
    The C8 will have such a configuration.

Golden Steed likes this.
  7. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    I tune LS cars daily. Have done countless swaps into older vehicles.

Would not drive an LS swapped Ferrari if it was given to me.

8. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    Ok. Why?

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes..I would like to know to. I think also the LS weighs less then the 360 motor if I'm not mistaken..

10. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    I admire anyone who takes on a project like this. However let's not forget that the heart and soul of a Ferrari is the motor it is not the body that houses the motor. For each Ferrari the motor and chassis are designed to compliment each other. The burble of an LS motor will not sound right emanating from a Ferrari body.

Texas Forever likes this.
  11. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Without a doubt. But, but, if the motor is already blown, why not a little rock 'n' roll?

Golden Steed, energy88 and G. Pepper like this.
  12. MrF355

MrF355 Formula Junior

Mar 4, 2008
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Kimi
    Texas, I agree that with a blown motor why not try it but I would prefer a transplant of a 360 heart into the 360 body.

13. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    A 360 with a popped engine is worthless. Replacing the popped 360 engine with a new unit..is not worth it. Why not play a bit? Heck dump a supercharged Ford mustang engine in it..of maybe a tri power 427 big block..have some fun. It's only a car..

14. INTMD8

INTMD8 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Jun 10, 2007
    Lake Villa IL
    Because if I'm driving a Ferrari I want the whole experience, much of which is generated by the powertrain. I would not trade the sound and feel for triple the horsepower.

Dumping a forced induction LS into every car in the world is what everyone does and it's taking the easy way out.

No reason you can't build a fast Ferrari that is Ferrari powered.

Or a fast Ford that is Ford powered, and so on and so forth.

Just my opinion.

To further explain my previous statement, if I was given the car in the original post I would part it out or return it to Ferrari power. To drive/own it as-is would not interest me.

15. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Well fe traction plus, weight, torsional rigity and potentialy some Gm compromised durability issues in track enviroment. The Me car may unleash new traction potential, at an expected 3500 plus lbs dry weight and track durability are still big question marks.

But yes one can work around the issues if one is prepared to suffciently mod.

I do agree that from a track handling perspective provided you are prepared to sufficiently mod there is more potential in a 20/yo mid engined ferrari than a new vette(putting aside the fact that a C7 is a moded C5), which may explain the move to a me layout for the vette, or it could be pure marketing for a younger generation. Marketing of course includes having better paper numbers, something more easily acheivable with a me car because you can go for even more excess hp and as you say hook it up with me traction, and lets not forget he ME is cool, plus these cars are tested on track for what 3 laps so thats the target spec.

point is there is a lot more to driving a ferari in anger than some paper numbers, and today paper numbers are a functional irrelevancy, theyre all good. Its also true that isee far more vettes driven in anger than ferraris, in fcat we dont see ferraris driven in anger at all, but thats a whole other debate.

Arguably the paper number race for 3 laps is ruining sportscars from a sustained performamce or even road pleasure eprspective, because to acheive ever higher paper numbers we need lots more hp and that adds lots more weight, which from a real performace perspective is a backwards step on multiple levels.

If they get the styling right the me vette will be a hit, and just as the c5 evolved intot he C6 and C7, the Me car may have some fantastic iterations regardless of whether version 1.0 is all there...

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean

Probably because the Ford unit is really heavy and big. The Ls is light and compact. One cant get around the fact that a LS is small light and powerful even if its architecture is not exotic. the drawbacks to the Ls as I see it is limited revs and limited power range due to the cam and valve limitations, thats architecture. Also its a bit vibratey due to rod ratios. Its compact powerful light and durable though.

17. jjtjr

jjtjr Formula Junior

Aug 29, 2016
    Vermont
    Full Name:
    john truskowski
    As someone who could be considered a purist, I just think a GM engine belongs in a GM vehicle, and a Ferrari engine belongs in a Ferrari. Not to say that putting a new LS engine in a Nova chassis isn't cool, but I would rather look at an all original, as-it-left-the-factory example of any automobile. Maybe I'm just boring.....

18. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
  19. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    well... here's the opposite (for those who think a Ferrari is an engine first and foremost).

Golden Steed likes this.
  20. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Interesting exercise with zero esthetic or resale value.

I'm 360 Canuck and DrewH like this.
  21. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
  22. Golden Steed

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    That you would post this on the 50th anniversary of the Moon Launch is absolutely sacrilegious. If great men don't do great things just because they can, no progress would ever be made...

[​IMG]

23. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    It's better than everyone complaining about it having a "salvage" title.

sjd

24. G. Pepper

Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Haha! Swapping an engine and going to the moon aren't even remotely comparable.