430 - New generation tyres effect on performance? | FerrariChat

430 New generation tyres effect on performance?

Discussion in '360/430' started by nickorette, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    Just out of curiosity's sake -how much of a difference do you guys think modern UHP tyre (Cup 2, PS4S, etc.) make on the recorded performance figures/lap times? Obviously when the car came out in 2004 tyre technology is nowhere near as it is today, with now several generations difference. From what I understand in some markets Pirrelli's were an option and actually came standard with Bridgestone Potenza's.

2. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Obviously mostly will affect lap times. I don’t think acceleration is traction limited. A significant difference in lap times, I’d say. Modern performance tires have the grip of race tires of not that long ago. Much depends also on breakaway characteristics. If that is gradual and predictable, you will be faster over a grippier tire that is not predictable.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

one4torque likes this.
  3. bellwilliam

bellwilliam Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2014
    in 2004, we already had PS2 I believe. PSS is a class above, but PS4 isn't a lot better than PSS in the dry (it is a generation better in wet performance however). so lap time didn't improve as much as you would of guessed for standard Ferrari performance tire (PSS/PS4/Zero) as you might believe.

most of tire technologies (in terms of dry performance) have been in "track" tires. most notebale in last few years has been the "super 200tw" tires that's dominating HPDE and autocross. They are stickier and do not last as long as 100tw "race tires" of early 2010's like NT01, R888. These super 200tw tires came from Autocross and Time Attack that has a 200tw rule, and since there is no "testing sanction body" for treadwear rating, tire manufacturer cheats like hell.

early 2010s you have RS3, v720, 615, R1R, Z1 star spec, etc....
    then in mid 2010s, RE71R came out and blew everyone away... then Rival 1.5 and RS4 came along, almost as good as RE71R depending on the condition.
    there are a ton of also rans like Z2 Star Spec, 615k+, SUR4G, etc... This group of tires are faster than PS4 and Zero, but not as fast as RE71R.

then in 2018, A052 came out and just edging out RE71R. A052 is currently king of 200tw street tires, just barely and not for long.

-------------------------------------------------------------

R-comp track tires have been stagnate for a while, since RA1, R888 and NT01 of decade ago (along with RR and Hoosier R7/A7, a different class of tires). It was no faster than modern super 200tw tires. it wasn't until a couple of years ago, we have a new batch of super R-comp tires. notably the new SC2-R,Trofeo R and 3R. These are very very fast. Almost Hoosier like but can be driven to race track.

note I didn't mention SC2, as it really is a "brand" more than a model. There are fast SC2 that wears like crazy and there are slower SC2 that last a long time. They even make different compound (model #) for the same size.

f355spider likes this.
  4. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The three OEM approved tyres for the F430 worldwide when it came out were P Zero, MPSS and Potenza.

5. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Interesting info thank you. You mean PS4S, yes, not PS4? They are different tyres. PS4S is officially designated as successor to PSS. PS4 is a cruiser.

Subjectively the PS4Ss I just fitted to my F430 seem both softer and stickier than the PZero and even the PSS. No idea about track times.

Handling characteristics is another question. The cars were developed with the E diff to behave at the limit in a certain way with the original tyres. apart from higher overall grip, what difference does new tech make? Hard to tell on the road so far for me, though I'm starting to wonder if grip levels higher but breakaway less predictable.

6. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    yes, I meant PS4S. just lazy typing it out. Rival 1.5 should say Rival S 1.5. etc...

if you've never tried the 200tw performance tire, you are missing out. Any of the ones I listed will be faster than PS4S/PSS/Zero, but RE71R, Rival S 1.5 or A052 is in another level of performance. None of them will last you 10k miles and will be loud, but most Ferrari tires ages out before treads are worn.
    or crazier yet, try those new SC2-R, 3R, Trofeo-R (all are extremely limited in sizes) if you never take your Ferrari out in heavy rain and drive less than 2k miles per year. you will be astonished by their performance...

problem with all these tires are tire sizes are limited. They are designed for track rats. SC2-R started with GT2-RS. 3R started with ZL1-1LE. RE71-R/Rival S/A052 started in Autocross classes. so you can't be picky on models if you want fast tires.

f355spider likes this.
  7. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I remember looking into some of these after you suggested these before...think they are hard to track down for 430 wheel sizes...

8. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    I have this size on mine. you can get RE71R or Trofeo R in this combo.
    235/35-19
    285/35-19

don't forget Scud came with 235 in front (F430 came with 225)

9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Got it thanks. So 10mm wider on fronts.

10. nickorette

nickorette Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2017
    Canada
    So negligible difference between 2004 Pzero vs 2018 PS4S? Assuming all else being equal

11. bellwilliam

Oct 25, 2014
    no, still significant. like I said, PSS already is a class above (PS2/Pzero). so still significant. I would guess couple of second difference per lap.
    regardless, buy some performance tires. It is after all a Ferrari. I doubt you need a tire that lasts forever, quiet and comfortable (if you do, go with PS4S). most Ferrari's tire ages out before they are worn out..... tire noise is rarely an issue, you not gonna hear it with Ferrari exhuast...