F430 differential grinding noise | FerrariChat

F430 differential grinding noise

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Peluca, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Hi guys I am having some grind noise in my 2009 F430... it happens when in 1 or 2 gear turning in a corner at low speed then it goes away. Also doing some slalom at low speed makes the noise but lower.

I have found that if I drive in wet the noise is almost not present. It gets louder when I go to sport and race.

Anyone else with this issue? I have checked in the forums and found a few but no post regarding the fix.

Any help would be great....

Michel

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Did you have your transaxle fluid changed recently ?

Is it more of a chatter

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Yes did a full fluid change.

4. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    What did you use ..brand ? Type?

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

5. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    We used shell 75w90

6. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Look in bottle ..does it say for limited slip differential ..if only hear oil ..you may need to add a few ounces of limited slip additive

Hard to diagnose it from here ..but it sounds like the oil may not have the additive that you need ..

2NA likes this.
  7. 2NA

2NA F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 29, 2006
    Twin Cities
    Full Name:
    Tim Keseluk
    Add some limited-slip additive and give it a try. It can't hurt and might fix it.

8. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I had a 430 where the front pinion bearing decided to take a vacation. Made a heck of a racket.

Red 27 likes this.
  9. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The cause of the noise is the from the limited slip plates chattering against each other. It doesn't do it in the wet because the tires slip more. The E-diff is more aggressive in the sport and race modes, causing it to be worse. You need to add two of bottles of limited slip additive to the the transmission gear oil. The standard GM limited slip additive works very well, but I don't know if you can get it in Chile:
    https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-GM-88900330-Lubricant-Additive/dp/B0028CMPIS

If not you will need to find another supplier of limited slip additive

Red 27 likes this.
  10. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Thanks guys we will check the oils and additives and let you guys know what is the end results.

11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    The transaxles in Ferraris hold much more lubricant than a regular differential. The 430 has a capacity of 3.5 liters. If you read the installation instructions on a bottle of GM or Redline additive, you will see that the recommended fill is 2-3 bottles of additive for 3.5 liters, that is why I use 2 bottles of the additive in a Ferrari transaxle.

f355spider likes this.
  13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I put too much in my 328 and the synchros started crunching. I drained it, and started over, using a lot less...I forget how much was required...I think it was like half a bottle...maybe one bottle.

14. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Hi guys just to let you know that the problem was the oil used. They changed it with the right one and now it is running perfect.

Thanks to all for the help.

tazz99 and flash32 like this.
  15. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Figured .glad you figured it out ..enjoy

16. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Hi guys so the oil was changed from 75w90 to 80w90. After this all was good and there was absolutely no noise ion the differential. But I started getting and EDIFF red indicator. I turned the car off and on and it went away and I could drive all day several times with no problem, but I realized the error came up in the mourning after the first time I turned the car on. Again I turned it off and on and a full day with mono problems. The ferrari shop said maybe this error was because the higher oil grade messing up with the sensor when the oil was cold.
    Yesterday I heard a strange sound at the f1 pump and after inspection at the ferrari dealer we saw that it is again loosing hydraulic fluid. I do not think is the actuator as it was correctly fixed and there is no sign of leaks at the back like before but we will check anyway for internal leaks.

Anyone seen this before??? Any ideas would be highly appreciated as we are a bit lost here with what could be the real reason for this new leak. The ferrari technician suggested maybe the seals of the differential have failed and it is leaking hydraulic fluid inside the differential.

Hope someone can help me out.

Thanks...

17. F430Spain

F430Spain Rookie

May 23, 2021
    Full Name:
    F430 spain
    Good morning, I had the same symptoms and I did the same. I put the original oil gearbox from Ferrari dealer and absolutely MAGIC!!!!

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

19. craze

craze Formula 3

Mar 5, 2021
    Melbourne
    Full Name:
    Michael
    On older m cars sometimes the clutches stiffen up
    Driving full lock a dozen circles left and right with some throttle to lock the discs fixes it and works the oil through the system
    Not sure if f430 is the same?