Mods mods to my 360 Modena | FerrariChat

Mods mods to my 360 Modena

Discussion in '360/430' started by zipperkarting, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. zipperkarting

zipperkarting Formula Junior
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Hi everyone
    Just thought you might like to see a couple of mods I have just carried out to my 360 Modena F1 coupe.
    I had my local garage in France install my new Titanium exhaust with sports cats. I have a pair of Supersprint headers but my technician didn’t feel able to install them as they needed mods carried out to marry them to the cats and this was fairly complex and would have required a delay whilst these were done. Maybe I’ll do this at a later date.
    The second mod was the installation of Gruppe M induction system.
    I’m very pleased with the results and the only disappointment, apart from the headers of course, is that the simple installation of a Challenge rear grill has caused unnecessary problems despite the fact the the grill is of excellent quality. Very frustrating.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Hypek9, one4torque, kes7u and 4 others like this.
  2. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans
    Wow...looks awesome!

What kind of problems did the challenge grill cause?

3. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Basically it’s a beautifully made grill however the fit is very, very tight and the grill edges very sharp.
    I just got the last nut tightened and noticed that the side of the grill had not seated correctly and had actually damaged the edges of the paint in the aperture. This was at 2300 hours so I just had to remove it as I could not have slept.
    Now I have to retouch the paint edges and roll the grill edge a little to prevent it happening again.
    Then next step is the install of the 430 Challenge carbon brakes!

4. hessank

hessank Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2005
    Canada, Florida
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Looks awesome without the back bumper, looks wicked.

5. Rhoads56

Rhoads56 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 19, 2015
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Perry
    I have the same exhaust. You won’t believe how great these sound

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

zipperkarting and kes7u like this.
  6. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Which exhaust is this???? Thanks!

Kevin

7. bernieb

bernieb Karting

Apr 16, 2007
    Alberta Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernard J Bonertz
    I would definitely plan on removing the factory headers with their 'self destructing' pre cats at some point. You'll sound a lot better as well.

vinny84 likes this.
  8. brookliner7

brookliner7 Formula Junior

May 5, 2018
    San Antonio, TX
    Full Name:
    Hans

I thought this was more of a F430 issue then the 360s, is this not the case?

9. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Hi Kev
    It’s a Timate system. Sooooo light compared to the stock silencer. Unbelievable weight difference.
    I had thought I might include a valve system but cutting and welding titanium is not an easy job I’m told.
    Nice to get a like from 360Trev. He’s my inspiration.

kes7u and 360trev like this.
  10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Good work, I am going to HAVE to give you my old map I ran on the Timate I used to run.. I got 317ft pounds of torque with one of those fitted!!
    FYI 275 ft pounds is stock!!

11. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Hi, yes that would be great if you could. I’m planning on getting the car properly sorted once the mods are done any help you can give would be fantastic. You might remember I installed AFCO race shocks some time ago so I feel a track day beckoning at some point.
    All the best.

12. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Do you have plans to get dyno time for pre post numbers?

I really need to get a ride in a bolt on 360 to see the difference.

13. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    No I think that might be too expensive. The guy that supplied the Gruppe M induction system suggest a remap post installation so that’s what I’ll probably do.

14. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #14 Ghostdiver, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    430 headers crack
    360 headers (2000+) pre-cat fails.

Both have the potential to destroy the engine.....

You might be able to find a set of 99 year model headers cheap as they don't have the pre-cats and they are the same as the OEM Challenge headers. The right header even has a "R" after the part number, which I can only assume is only found on the exclusive OEM Challenge racing headers....:p

However, if I was going to the trouble of doing headers, there are plenty of better choices far surpassing even the OEM Challenge headers....:rolleyes:

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Ghost— can a motivated person break out the precats? Is there access?

If you can get a steel rod in there you can break it out. Ghetto mod but free. Common on other makes

16. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    #16 Ghostdiver, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    I would think yes since they are at the end of the manifold but having done this...oops sorry, having "observed" someone doing this :rolleyes: , I recall using a rod and a very heavy hammer then beating the hell out of the material. That cat had about a 1/2 flange on both ends that gave it plenty of support for pounding that rod through it. Not sure how you would support the manifold and even if you were able to, I'd be concerned about applying that much force 90 degrees to the mounting flange of the header.

There is no way I would do it on the car since you would be pounding the material TOWARDS the engine. Might be able to drill it but again, you have catalyst material laying there.

Guess you would have to fire it up with open headers to clear it out.....:D

Open headers on a 360....yea, been there done that.....sounded like a Prostock car at the Spring Nationals....

17. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    I have seen a post where someone removed the heatshields then cut open the manifold to remove the catalyst block, then rewelded it. Looked pretty bad....almost like my welding skills....but they did it without damaging the header, so to speak.

18. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic

19. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Not sure where this part of the thread is going. Did I really mention cutting the cats or doing anything to the headers other than replacing them?
    Oh well if it keeps you guys happy.

20. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    No you didn't. A question was asked concerning the manifolds and I answered to the best of my knowledge. I would have kept my comments in one post but my time ran out for editing. Don't really think the thread was derailed but it's not my thread. My apologies, just trying to answer a question....

21. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    No problem as I said. Thanks for the helpful info.
    For my part the rear bumper is on but for some reason I’ve lost a nyloc. Must’ve used it somewhere else.
    Some useful information on Euro cars at least, the threads on some of the nuts are not normal metric.
    The rear bumper nyloc nuts are M10 x 1.0 pitch. Normal metric is 1.5. I’m having a heck of a job finding these nuts in France so have had to resort to EBay.
    Similarly Aldous Voice suggests replacing the reversing light bulbs with LED ones. Can I find them in France? No.

22. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Look at Scud Ing. He has a complete LED retrofit for all the rear lights including the reverse lamps.

zipperkarting likes this.
  23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Well EXCUSEeeeee. mEeeee! -:)

Joke—-

Sorry man— long week!

24. Ghostdiver

Ghostdiver Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Full Name:
    Wally Hollar
    Must be since it's only Wednesday!

one4torque likes this.
  25. zipperkarting

BANNED

Jun 10, 2014
    Jersey & France
    Full Name:
    paul troalic
    Question for you guys.
    I bought what I thought was a complete set of carbon discs with bells and all the hardware from a 430 Challenge. It all arrived in bits so I am putting it together.
    I have spent the afternoon cleaning everything and its been a puzzle trying to work out how it all fits together.
    I finally managed to get the front bells mounted on their respective discs but I cannot see how the fronts go together at all. The front and rear bells are exactly the same size but the rear discs have a larger mounting hole so the bells won't fit. They appear too small!
    Does anyone happen to know if the bells front and rear are a different size please?
    As an aside the bolts holding the front bell to the disc seem a little on the short side to me as the nut just fits on. What are they torqued to does anyone know?
    Many thanks.