Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?! | Page 6 | FerrariChat

Ferrari Speciale vs Pista - feeling/performance/grip?!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Jul 11, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    that's probably why there is a JBL Hi-Fi option for Pista

2. 458-Italia

458-Italia Formula 3

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    fully agree !

of2worlds likes this.
  3. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    #128 Caeruleus11, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    Yes, and we need to ask what comes next for this level of car. Likely the F8 successor will have some kind of hybrid system, which means the Pista, and to a lesser extend the F8, are the end of (relatively) lower weight mid engined new Ferraris- this is very much worth pondering.

Also lets imagine such a car as you suggested. But maybe we can do even better on weight! What if we can imagine a car with a real world curb weight of around 2,400lbs. Lets keep imagining. Lets imagine it features a CF tub. And let's imagine evocative body work.

Let's imagine such a car in the contest of the aforementioned Challenge Stradale. The CS is a bench mark car, so this is appropriate. The CS weighs about 3,200lbs and features a 419 hp engine good for 0-62 in 4.1 seconds.

So what if our imagined car puts a greater focus on weight reduction, its a full 800lbs lighter than the CS! 800!!!! And thus goes with a less powerful 4 cylinder engine- not as exciting, but smaller. It has only 240hp but so do classic Ferraris! :) So, due to the lighter weight and featuring a more modern DCT transmission it can do 0-62 almost as fast as the CS: 4.2 seconds. And our modern car has the CF tub and a 9" shorter wheelbase than the CS for super nimble handling. As well as being almost 20" shorter overall and about the same width.

What if our imagined car could also be bought without too much drama and for around $75k new vs many times that for a CS.

Such a car should be a smash hit, right?

Well, someone made such a car, and I drove it and I thought it was great and a lot of fun, yet, for some reason I didn't plunk down any money on it- and apparently neither did enough people.

I present you the Alfa Romeo 4C. The light weight modern Italian sports car does exist- but- it seems, "no-one" really cares.... I wish I could tell you why.

To come back to the Pista vs the others, I haven't driven the Pista yet. I have several friends who have taken delivery of their Pistas and they have impressive collections and there is a commonality in their commentary when I ask them about the Pista. They all say the car is absolutely fantastic and it is so much fun and engaging, and properly "hypercar fast". A few of these people told me they were thinking of maybe one day they would sell the Pista- but after driving it, no way. It's a definite keeper. Some have said "best Ferrari ever" to me. Those are bold words. When I hear it from one person, I can say its just the emotion of the moment. But when I keep hearing this over and over, from guys who own multiple cars, I say there is something to it.

Bundy, dmark1, Scudmsl and 2 others like this.
  4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    The car was not a commercial success because it does not comport with the current trend. it is raw, bare bones, lacking in creature comforts and it is an Alfa, a brand in which super car buyers have little interest.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  5. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because at the of the day numbers matter, not just for bragging rights, but for the sheer experience.

This is what Andreas Preuninger, of Porsche GT Division fame had to say about it:
    "For me, 200 horsepower in a car that I should want to get up in the middle of the night and drive would be low. You need some speed to be exciting. For me, 300-350 horses is a minimum in a 1400-1500kg car, to really enjoy driving. Being on the verge of feeling overpowered is key, too. That way, a car never stops being interesting to drive. And for an engineer, taking away grip when you could make more of it is always going to be hard to justify. We will always find other ways to add excitement. "

Please read the interview of the 3 Wise Men here. Very interesting opinions by real experts: https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/meeting-minds-aston-martin-jlr-and-porsche-lead-engineers-debate-future

Notice how the two out of three prefer paddle shifters instead of a manual and all three prefer adaptive dampers vs passive ones.

of2worlds likes this.
  6. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Such a car wouldn't be worthy of a Ferrari badge anyway. That's Alfa, Lotus, or Alpine territory.

7. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Sound far down the list?
    Tesla roadsters all around it appears.

veilstylez and Surfah like this.
  8. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    AP liked the manual; he must have choked on it when he had to keep explaining to journalists how they didn't need a manual in the new GT3 and how great only having the PDK was... :D

Finlander and Caeruleus11 like this.
  9. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    As to the why? Perhaps this Tom McCahill - esque comment by another automotive journalist summed up rather well the poor market performance of the Alfa Rome 4C's driving experience> "Corners like it's on rails; that have been bombed by the allies".

Caeruleus11 and C50 like this.
  10. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Im with sound. I don’t get the continued obsession with sound. The pista sounds just fine to me. As does the 488. Is the 458 louder? Sure. Better? To me no. Sound is low on the things I look for in a car. Not even top 10.

dmark1 likes this.
  11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I

That’s what the Perf Spyder is for. It’s enjoyable....sometimes. But sometimes it’s just grating if I’m not in the mood for it. . Depends on my mood as it does with everyone.... bet you absolutely HATE the sound of a loud ass motorcycle when your enjoying a quiet morning, correct?

12. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Good lord. Talk bout a bad auto correct. The first sentence tends should say- I LIKE sound HOWEVER....

13. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    For me, the sports car should always have the full package.

14. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Interesting how we all have different tastes. Sound is prolly tops for me after looks, handling, price.

458, GT3, AMG GTS, Huracan all give me goosebumps and giggles at WOT.

plastique999 and Coincid like this.
  15. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    So it’s 4rth for you. That’s about right for me too....

16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

No car has the “full package”...

17. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Perf, TDF, Laff, just a few that come to mind.

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I never feel that way. Can't get enough of driving it. Always an adrenaline rush. That is my priority in a super car. The Bentley is perfect for a comforatble, refined ride, not a Ferrari or Mclaren.Based upon your stated preferences ( looks and comfort) I can understand your sentiments.

Surfah likes this.
  19. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Edited for ya

Sent from my 16M

Coincid likes this.
  20. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I am in your minority group... give me Lotus or CGT any day

Sent from my 16M

veilstylez and 458-Italia like this.
  21. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    Interesting, 2 out of 3 picked Lotus as a driver’s car and
    All 3 picked NA

Sent from my 16M

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    #147 plastique999, Jul 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Different strokes...sound is as important to me as Tchaikovsky’s violin Concerto.

Sent from my 16M

C50 and Surfah like this.
  23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Perf is uncomfortable for long distance driving, unsuitable for taller guys. LaFerrari has ridiculous upkeep costs and is unobtainable by 99.995 % of the world, TDF ..same thing and rides like ****,

Like I say, no such thing. Every car compromises something to produce better results in other areas.

24. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

LOOKS, COMFORT,USABILITY, SPEED....not just
    ‘looks and comfort” . Quote me correctly please.

25. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The 720s is super comfortable, fast and great in track. Doesn’t it tick all boxes for you?