Steering hub puller? | FerrariChat

Steering hub puller?

Discussion in '206/246' started by cls, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Is there a hub puller available? Looks like my hub has two 6mm threaded holes which could be used to pull it. Otherwise, what's the method? Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    You want to use a puller like the one below and attach pulling bolts to the 6mm holes. Install the puller add a bit of tension to the pulling bolt and then give it a sharp tap with a metal hammer. The shock will release the steering hub. Do not just keep tightening until it comes off. Image Unavailable, Please Login

DO NOT use a hook style puller that grabs onto the outside of the steering hub body. These will likely bend the hub.

Another tip is to leave the nut retaining nut on the steering shaft just loose. This will catch the hub when it releases.

3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Thanks. Puller on order. Saves me the trouble of making one.

4. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    Squirt a little release fluid on the splines, leaves for a few minutes then pull it off by hand applying equal pressure around the hub, most come off without the need of a puller.
    Slight tapping with a raw hide hammer around the hub helps if its not playing ball
    Tony

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I gave it some encouragement with the wheel attached, but it wouldn't budge. I think the nut was overtightened, it was a ***** to remove.
    Rather than lose front teeth trying, I just went ahead and bought the tool.

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    TonyL likes this.
  7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Much nicer than I would have come up with.

8. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    :)

You will damage the steering wheel if you try to pull it off that way & teeth!!

Its a splined shaft with keyway so shouldn't need a puller, sometimes they need a little extra to shift it. If you have purchased a puller then that will do it nicely but you will see when you use it, it will take minimal force to move.
    Tony

9. racerboy9

racerboy9 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    My 2 cents: You could plug the steering shaft hole and heat the aluminum with a hair dryer. The expansion and some wiggling might get it off. As said before, I would leave the nut on a few turns so the wheel won't slap you in the face if it breaks loose.

10. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris