Dressing for Pebble...there's no rules like there is at Goodwood | FerrariChat

Dressing for Pebble...there's no rules like there is at Goodwood

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by bitzman, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    The Goodwood Revival is the only motor racing event to be staged entirely in period dress. That’s because the good Lord who thought up the event, and who owns the estate, sought to create not just a vintage race, but an event with the ambiance of Goodwood’s heyday as a motor circuit between 1948-1966.

So everybody who attends is urged to wear antique clothes, though some might still be in your closet and you don’t think of them as antique—I’m talking ‘40s, ‘50s and ‘60s eras.

The emphasis on clothing is so well known that I suspect some are coming to see the clothes as much as they are to see the cars.

And Lord March goes beyond publishing clothing advisories in advance, he actually sprinkles 300 actors and actresses on-site , all dressed in full vintage regalia. Guests who have turned out in particular fetching vintage attire are competing for prizes, such as a bottle of Veuve Clicquot.

Now since Goodwood is in Britain, they have a rule that wouldn’t make it here—they want British fashion because the event is very much a British celebration. That means no Elvis wanna-bes.

The clothing seen at Goodwood varies according to the era, so if it’s ‘40s, due to rationing, it’s more the tailoring that counts. In the ‘50s you move into full round skirts and voluminous petticoats for the ladies. And then the ‘60s,
    For the ladies it’s shorter and skimpier and for the men I presume Beatles look, but flat caps (sometimes called Poor Boy hats) seem good for several eras.

When you shop avoid the phrase “retro” because that might mean it was made recently but styled to look retro. “Vintage” is supposed to mean it was made in that original era.

I’m going to the Monterey Car Week in a few weeks and have socked away a white double breasted jacket, a double breasted vest , pleated trousers, two tone leather shoes and a wool men’s hat with a satin border , but the only place I’ll have the nerve to wear all this is Pebble Beach. I would like to have an Ascot tie, and high collared shirt but I live in the far East outskirts of Los Angeles where they don’t have such styles, alas…

For the ladies it’s shorter and skimpier and for the men I presume Beatles look, but flat caps (sometimes called Poor Boy hats) seem good for several eras.

When you shop avoid the phrase “retro” because that might mean it was made recently but styled to look retro. “Vintage” is supposed to mean it was made in that original era.

I’m going to the Monterey Car Week in a few weeks and have socked away a white double breasted jacket, a double breasted vest , pleated trousers, two tone leather shoes and a wool men’s Fedora with a satin border , but the only place I’ll have the nerve to wear all this is Pebble Beach. I would like to have an Ascot tie, and high collared shirt but I live in the far East outskirts of Los Angeles where they don’t have such styles, alas…

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

gt4me likes this.
  2. Alpintourer

Alpintourer F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 20, 2013
    The Low Country
    Full Name:
    Dave Steven
    "A Gentleman can never be overdressed!"

Camelot and Innovativethinker like this.
  3. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    See my signature

4. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

This ^^^^^ follow Dave’s lead. He’s the best dressed man on the planet.

5. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Tough talk from a guy who routinely wears watches that cost as much as a house.

:D

Cigarzman likes this.
  6. Cigarzman

Cigarzman F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Guilty as charged , but my wardrobe is s**t.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  7. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <laughing> You look good to Jo so you're good.

Cigarzman likes this.
  8. Camelot

Camelot Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2013
    down South
    Well said...

9. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    To which I immediately wondered what a topless girl and a pitcher of margaritas had to do with anything.......

:D

JP365 likes this.
  10. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    It was time for a new signature. But I reserve the right to use the old one again if deemed necessary.

11. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Or, maybe another oldie of mine;
    “In a world full of Kanyes and Kardashians, be Sinatra.”

Reacherman1022 likes this.
  12. Patek

Patek Formula 3