1987 TR European vs American Spec | FerrariChat

1987 TR European vs American Spec

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Ashephil, Jul 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ashephil

Ashephil Rookie

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Phil Trunnell
    Hey Guys,

I'm new here and looking for some help. I have an opportunity to purchase from my stepfather a 1987 Testarossa that he has owned for about 25 years. He was a European sales/service dealer owner for 40+ years, so he knows his way around Ferrari's. He has owned many very interesting cars like Muira's, Dino's, Goldwings, etc. He regrets selling many of these cars, but that's how he made his living. He's now in his mid 70's and is thinking about selling it to buy something different. We're trying to find a fair price, which I get is a different question altogether. He claims that it'sa European spec car, and that as such, it should be more valuable than an American Spec car. It does have the round fender lights, and does not have the rectangular reflectors on the side of the bumpers or the rear panels.

He is a certified Ferrari mechanic, and when the car became old enough not to require an inspection, he converted the exhaust system back to the European exhaust system.

Is there a difference in value for a Euro vs. American spec TR, if so, how much on average. Any help here would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Phil

2. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    It would all depend on where you are selling it. To me a euro spec car is worth much less. I live in california, so getting the car smogged and registered would be a hastle. If it was imported when new and federalized then maybe it could be registered in california without too much effort.

Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    If youre in the US, a euro spec car is not worth as much as a US car, imo. Most people don’t care enough to deal with the differences and there are plenty of US cars available. The power difference is only 10hp so nothing an exhaust system wont address.

4. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    I looked for only Euro spec cars. The emissions system is much less of a hassle. No cats. No O2 sensors, 390 horse versus 380. IMHO it's the better deal out there. The seat belts don't do the mousetrap thing in Euro cars either.

My car has the side lights and the rear brake light grafted on. In time, I'll convert back as I prefer the look of the Euro side markers and bumper. All personal preference I suppose

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. Ashephil

Ashephil Rookie

Jun 25, 2019
    Full Name:
    Phil Trunnell
    Thanks for the help everyone!

6. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Only no cats on 86 Euro.
    Less resale value in the us.
    Take the cats off on US car and u have same power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. c4b4the04

c4b4the04 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2017
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Cassidy
    Actually my 88 (early) from factory has no cats or O2 sensors.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I believe US cars had extra weight due to required crash protection also?

9. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I swear someone here said the US deck lid had weights inserted. This can't be related to crash but it is extra weight. It was in a thread where someone was trying to lighten their TR/512tr.

10. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I owned several 1987-1989 Testarossas in Germany and imported one of them into the U.S. back in the early 1990s using JK Imports. Differences they told me are the headlights, rear bumper, emissions system, dash, fog lights, lack of passive restraint, side door reinforcement, and both front and rear bumper reinforcement. Now seeing as how they are now 25 years or older, I am not sure any of this matters as DOT/EPA is not needed.

From a drivers point of view, I prefer the Euro version due the that idiotic US Passive Restraint system.

turbo-joe and EZORED like this.