Flat tire repair kit replacement | FerrariChat

Flat tire repair kit replacement

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by alex, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    The Fix & Go canister in my car has an expiration of 5/17 so I need to replace it. I can't seem to find anywhere in the US where these are sold and even the Fix & Go website doesn't show replacement canisters ("AIRFLEX" 400 ml / 13.5 US fl oz - part no 17240100000A) that matches the one that came in my Cali 30. Any leads for finding these or an appropriate alternative solution?

Thanks.

2. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Fix and GO changed the design of their tire inflator and refill cannister and discontinued the old style refill cannister (Ferrari #253894). You can purchase the complete later version tire repair kit, Ferrari #244702 for around $350. If you don't car about originality, you can purchase a similar system for a lot less money:
    https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/12v+tire+inflator+repair+system.do?code=PPCPLG&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjrvpBRC0ARIsAFrFuV8UEjIlyuzCUIYUa65qVWDYsRpJL3tRHvdBJ9DONG8RlLDPaBkv6oIaAiHwEALw_wcB

Be aware that any tire sealant system that you use will destroy/clog the TPMS sensor inside the wheel. I carry a simple tire plug kit in my trunk along with an inflator to repair nail holes.

3. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Apparently Mopar also uses a Fix and Go system as do other auto manufacturers. You might be able to find a replacement cannister from another manufacturer if you can find out who uses the same system:
    https://www.justforjeeps.com/82214295.html

4. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
  5. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

+1 Learning to use a plug kit + little compressor is an absolute 'life skill'. As long as the puncture isn't in the sidewall or too close to the shoulder of a tire, a plug can usually last a long time in a daily-driver type of vehicle. I probably wouldn't run a Ferrari on the track with tire plugs -- but the point is, they are less messy to install than 'fix-a-glop', far more likely to seal a puncture securely, and incredibly quick to use.

I carry an over-the-counter plug kit from 'Slime' (manufacturer), a little compressor, and several sets of rubber gloves, all in a tiny little duffel bag in the trunk. Fortunately/Unfortunately I've used the kit many times. Pro-tip: also put a pair of needle-nose pliers in your kit, because getting a stud/screw/whatever from the tire can be a PITA without them.

6. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks Daniel and Brian. I will have to learn how to do my own tire plugs for small punctures.

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I do the exact same as you Daniel. Right down to the pliers. Its been indispensable. I still carry a couple fixaflat cans as a "last resort" but (thankfully) have never used them

8. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    Well today is your lucky day!!
    My truck got a nail in the tire. I noticed on my pressure monitor that one tire was down to 34 psi from the normal 40. I fixed it and recorded a short video for you.
    Make sure you get a repair kit with the T shaped handle insertion tool as it gives you more leverage.
    If it is a front tire you will want the wheel turned out, with the repair area at about ten o'clock so you can work easily and put a bit of weight into it.
    For year tires, rotate to a position where you can get at it as well. Unfortunately it usually means less room and lying on the ground. Luckily in a truck you have a bit more room to work with.

Here is a link to the video:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

BruceC likes this.
  9. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Daniel, Good tip on the pliers. I find that side cutters work better than needle nose pliers, as you can dig into the tire to get a buried nail/screw and then get a really good bite on the nail in order to lever it out of the tire. The sharp edge of the side cutters lets you get under the head of the nail as well. But same basic idea as your needle nose or Lineman's pliers that Dom uses above. Very difficult to get the nail out otherwise.

f355spider likes this.
  10. Mimmo Blue

Mimmo Blue Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2018
    Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dom
    I alao used side cutters to pry the nail head out a bit before i started taking the video

f355spider likes this.
  11. alex

alex Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 19, 2003
    Crystal Lake, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Thanks, Dom!
    I purchased a kit earlier today without the T handle; I think I'll be exchanging it as it does appear that it would be a lot easier to maneuver.

Thanks for sharing!

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  12. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    The Griots kit I bought came with T-handles for both the insertion tool and the tool that roughs up the hole. Included plugs, 12vt inflator, pliers, etc, all in a handy zippered bag. I got it on a close out for about $10 or something. But one can easily find kits on Amazon inexpensively.

alex likes this.