Do you drive barefoot? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Do you drive barefoot?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by RedNeck, Jul 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    It's illegal to drive in flip flops here in Brazil, land of the flip flop. Too many accidents bound to happen with them getting tangled up in the footwell.. It's not illegal to drive barefoot here, though. i think I've done it maybe once or twice, but it was at the beach so it doesn't count.

2. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO

I have the OEM rubber pedal covers on all three pedals, It wasnt until about 3 years ago that I found out that Ferrari made one for the Accelerator Pedal, either or, I have never had an issue with grip

Thank you

3. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    Swiss are the Super Nazis! :)

No barefoot or flip flops here. It just doesn't feel right to me. Plus, I'm a little vertically challenged and I need all the help I can get reaching those pedals! :)

BOKE likes this.
  4. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
  5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    I rarely even walk around barefoot.

sjd

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  6. marce

marce Formula Junior

Jan 30, 2014
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Marcel

Hey!!! i also do this.

paulchua likes this.
  7. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Barefoot or in socks in my exotics always. BMW wear shoes/slippers

paulchua likes this.
  8. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

I think I moved a car around the driveway once in socks but it's not something I routinely do. I also for the life of me can not comprehend how people tolerate walking around in flip-flops. The unconnected (flip-flopping) sole at the rear of my foot is completely unacceptable - it feels so wrong! It's about as comfortable to me as trying to run with my pants halfway off. I just don't understand how others can tolerate that feeling. So, no I've never worn flip-flops in a car or anywhere else for that matter.

I do kick off my shoes fairly often in my airplane once I'm in cruise and the autopilot/yaw damper is doing the work. But that's pretty different from driving because I don't actually have to touch the rudder pedals. I put them back on during final descent to destination so that I have shoes on when I disconnect the autopilot and switch to manual (and pedal, I guess since that is the foot equivalent of manual) flying.

kes7u, I'm 360 Canuck and paulchua like this.
  9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Wow, guess there are more of us wierdos out there then I had thought!

:)

10. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don't like the loose flip flops with the strap next to your toe, those are very painful to me. That's said, everybody is different, so your experience is entirely accurate, as is for those prefer flip flops.

Cheers

11. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    You wear closed shoes when you go to the beach or pool? That seems even more weird.

12. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
  13. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Barefoot once you get there. Casual closed toe shoes (Sperrys, casual loafers, etc) on the way there. That's not particularly weird.

kes7u and I'm 360 Canuck like this.
  14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    No. Always shod.

15. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    #40 I'm 360 Canuck, Jul 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
    I don’t like the feel. Feels very unsafe to me. Driven all my life with shoes on.There’s a balance to me, for the right foot feel and grip. Plus, it’s dirty and a terrible esthetic. I’m not Jimmy Buffett, Jesus or Sammy Hagar. Very few guys have the feet to pull off that look lol
    Hate flip flops as well. They just say “I’ve given up”.
    I don’t have sweaty or stinky feet so it’s not a big deal to wear runners.
    Swamp ass in leather seats is a much bigger problem IMO. Can’t believe so few cars have seat coolers.

paulchua likes this.
  16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    The first time I wore flip
    Uh....no comment

*quickly deletes the folder titled "Midgets"*

Well, I guess there is only one logical place for this thread to progress...

Red 27 and paulchua like this.
  17. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

nope.

Don't like flip flops or sandals anyway, so that's not an issue.

Don't wander outside barefoot, too many critters capable of giving a bare foot a good chomp.

So, no to Flip Flops and no to barefoot, driving or otherwise.

I am no Fred Flintstone.

D

paulchua and kes7u like this.
  18. Newjoint

Newjoint Formula 3

Jan 17, 2016
    I have size 13-14 feet and always use closed shoes for driving (and drive shoes for the tighter FERRARI footwells) Flip flops have a myriad number of safety issues including poor feel and catching on pedal edges which on performance cars can lead to disaster. I bring them with me and change before exiting the vehicle
    As for barefoot driving it’s illegal for a reason-safety- braking force is greater with shoes on because they stiffen the foot improving the Achilles lever arm. In an emergency braking situation it can make the difference.
    And if you do crash the foot injuries will be much more extensive-open fracture lacerations and soft tissue injuries are much more likely.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

tomc likes this.
  19. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

#44 dm_n_stuff, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    True and false. Driving barefoot is not illegal in any state in the USA. Driving barefoot seems like a bad idea in EVERY state, with some exceptions. High heels or barefoot? Barefoot. Platform shoes or barefoot? Barefoot. Same for flip flops an some other footwear, according to the Michigan State Police. Although, if you cause an accident, and are barefoot, they might try to tag on an unsafe driving charge for the bare footed-ness.

Flip flops have no useful purpose outside a public shower or the beach. Just my $.02.

D

I'm 360 Canuck and kes7u like this.
  20. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    maybe this is why Vettel is performing so poorly!!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Red 27 likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow and the debate is actually much larger in the community then I realized!

a whole video and article about it.

I think a lot depends on the context of the situation too. Am I going out to a nice formal dinner? Flip flops, no. Am I going to be driving for an extended period, or a short journey?

I think if we're academic, agreed having no shoes in an accident is not recommended.

I only drive barefoot on my gated and old Ferrari; it's the opposite with my newer one. The new cars I would never go barefoot - I've not felt any additional visceral connection.

Again, no right answer folks, as far as questions of legality, as stated, completely legal to drive barefoot in all 50 states.

I feel more in control, connected, and in 'tune' with the car barefoot (again older Ferrari), keep in mind I put the flip flops in the passenger well, so no chance of getting stuck in pedals.

23. dm_n_stuff

Lifetime Rossa Owner

oh no, that's not nearly a good enough reason. :D

D

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    ROFL!!!

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I really don't see the difference in braking performance from when I wear shoes or when I wear none, the brakes do most of the work, and I have pretty strong legs (squats 'n lunges, y'all)...and when I'm working (I drive 2.5-3k miles a month for work) I wear my big kit-shicker steel-toed work boots. For personal, barefoot..and that is either driving my manual tranny Silverado or manual tranny Buick Regal.

As far as protection in an accident, true, but the same could be said for short sleeves, short pants, etc. It's not logical to wear a full firesuit or coveralls for around town driving.

paulchua likes this.