Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019 | Page 13 | FerrariChat

Vettel plans to retire at the end of 2019

Discussion in 'F1' started by 444sp, May 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DF1

DF1 Two Time F1 World Champ

Nico smart to leave. Smart to know not to return as well

ATBNM3, crinoid and william like this.
  2. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Lets be honest here,even Bitcoin is a safer bet than Vettel!:eek:

ATBNM3 likes this.
  3. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    No I wasn’t very outspoken at all about Vettel. I may have expressed a hope however that was all. Vettel has never seemed to me as smart and MS or had a personal team around him as MS did. News flash Alonso your Jesus Christ of all things driving couldn’t get a drive in F1. Was this because he couldn’t drive ?? If not then what was the reason no one wanted to work with him? And your right championships haven’t materializes with Vettel. I am for him retiring or going to another team. I support the Scuderia.

4. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No hunger.

william and SimCity3 like this.
  5. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

The Vettel myth collapsed sometime ago.

ATBNM3 and crinoid like this.
  6. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    #306 freshmeat, Jul 16, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    You should totally read this BBC article I linked earlier, sheds some really good light on the FA situations...

And no, I don't herald him as baby Jesus or anything, I just recognize that despite his character flaws, he has consistently proven that he can drive the wheels off any car against any teammate in any team. I think McLaren made the right choice signing 2 young drivers instead of FA, and I'm sure FA's input had already been taken into consideration before they made that call. It's great McLaren are getting midfield honors, but McLaren knows FA isn't interested in midfield honors, he wants a championship winning car and that's not gonna happen anytime soon at McLaren, not in this current reg/formula and definitely NOT from Renault power that's for damn sure.

His only championship winning options are really Ferrari, Mercedes or Red Bull...all of which have their lineup already. Red Bull promotes from within, Kvyat and Albon would be the logical replacements for Gasly. Mercedes have Hamilton and his steady wingman, why ruffle up an already proven winning formula? Ferrari is probably the most viable option if Vettel is indeed hanging it up, be it by choice or by force, which other multi-wdc is available to replace Vettel? FA would be a pretty obvious choice!

7. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    If Vettel leaves, he goes home to think of things that might have been.
    And then stays there.

william and DF1 like this.
  8. Dino2010

Dino2010 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 20, 2006
    Belgium
    Sometimes, morons have good plans.

9. furoni

furoni F1 World Champ

Jun 6, 2011
    Vila Verde
    Full Name:
    Pedro Braga Soares
    i ALSO THINK sEBS HEAD IS NOT 100% INTO IT..he's very good, just like Elton, but i think he just lost hope and that as made him lost concentration..anmd on top of that, stupid things like what they did to him in canada just got him over the top..i mean what's the use? even when you win fair an square they give the victory to the other guy!
    On top of that i think Charles is just better, is Seb wa sdriving at ghis best they would be a match, but Charles is more talented and it would only be a matter of time, in fact, without Ferrari's interference he would be far ahead Seb in term of points. We already have our nº 1 driver, and he's more than capable providing he has decent machinery, now just fill the other seat with a fast and reliable driver who can also push him..to me Ricci would be the obvious choice, and so would Hulkenberg...Ocon would be very good but links to merc will prevent that....and i suspect his relation with Charles could become difficult.

10. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    when in the same position elton made the same stupid mistakes as often...

Elton fans keep saying how much better he is, but fact o the matter is that if you're driving the #1 car by a clear margin and no one tobother you, you are going to look a ****ing hero.

His **** years are always conveniently forgotten.

11. DF1

I expect young and hungry drivers to make mistakes. Vettel makes them now and consistently. This has zero to do with LH at anytime. He is costing Ferrari points and at least 1 title. Thats the issue. Current mistakes by 4X WDC wonderboy. Not too wonderful at all.

william likes this.
  12. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    What title mate, come on, you and I are friends, so I know you know I’m not saying this in a horrible, argumentative way, I respect your opinions on many things, but I think you’ve started believing a little of the Merc dipsticks ********... ferrari COULD have made a bid for 2018, but the FIA ****ed us as soon as Mercedes started crying, putting their tests onto the engines because of a bit of smoke, and there were a few other things they did that weren’t even reported. Then the tyres got changed to favour Mercedes yet again. 2018 was never ever going to be ours... take germany out and still we had no ****ing chance. It’s a fanciful thought, but while I agree with you that Seb has had his last chance, he hasn’t thrown any titles away, we were never going to get them anyway

stavura, st@ven and Bas like this.
  13. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I agree, now nobody remembers Hamilton's years of pain and sadness. But although maybe Vettel was better than Hamilton at that time, right now he's not. Yes, of course, sometimes you have to leave time to recover from a losing streak, but after two seasons, I don't know if Ferrari can afford to wait more.

Bas and william like this.
  14. DF1

My thoughts as well.

Bas and william like this.
  15. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

Yep this.

Vettel only lost the opportunity to run the championship to potentially the last race. All he's done with his mistakes is lose the title earlier.

daytona355 likes this.
  16. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas

I do think Ferrari can get a better driver. Verstappen can be bought out and I believe he can extract more from the car than other drivers in the current field.

It's unlikely for Ferrari to build a car that matches Mercedes for 2020. It's likely they'll build a car a little bit slower. It does look to me that neither Vettel or Leclerc are currently able to outdrive the car and take it to places it doesn't belong.

Or, a thing we haven't considered, both Vettel and Leclerc already are outdriving the cars capabilities and therefore more mistakes are made as they're pushing more. Maybe the Ferrari is 3rd best on the grid and their talent is taking the car to it's current position.

My opinion remains that Verstappen is best in the field right now, he makes the fewest mistakes of the chasing pack, consistently out performs the car. Any team would be lucky to have him today.

Can Ferrari persuade him away from Red Bull? That I don't know. 2021 isn't far away. Who bets against Newey with completely new regulations? Not me. Especially when the offer is Ferrari, a team consistently under performing with whatever star driver they hire...Ferrari's issue isn't driver talent. It's everything that happens behind the scenes. So long they refuse to change that, they haven't a hope in hell in winning another title.

Honda is coming quick and fast with more and more updates. Combine that with the brains of Newey, the talent of Verstappen and the calm management of Horner and you've got a recipe for success.

I do believe the team with a third of employees of Mercedes will be the one to topple the mighty merc team. Sadly Ferrari will not.

Finlander, 375+, stavura and 2 others like this.
  17. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    +1000
    Absolutely spot on !

Bas likes this.
  18. st@ven

st@ven F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2008
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Fully agree, but Verstappen will 100% sure not leave RB. Rb offers him a better change than Ferrari will ever do as long as they do not clean-up their act.

Bas likes this.
  19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Maybe Leclerc is even better than max , because he is more or less a rookie (31 gp).
    Just praying now Ferrari sort out all problems with new 2021 regulations ( very skeptical right now ).

daytona355 and william like this.
  20. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    The only drivers capable of taking a car to places it doesn't belong are Alonso and Max.

+1 Agree

No team will topple Mercedes in the current formula.

stavura, daytona355 and Bas like this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet

Do you really believe the SF 90 deserved a 10 seconds lead in Bahreïn this year ?
    I bet you will shortly change your mind about Leclerc in a very short future.

22. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    No I won't. I have a very high opinion of Leclerc.

23. Sig. Roma

Sig. Roma Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 11, 2007
    Bella Italia
    Full Name:
    Dom T.
    Hamilton and Massa were on the same level, let's not forget that.

24. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Nobody calls massa a great, either...

25. Bas

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Agree with the last also, but I think RBR is to provide a real fight next year.

375+ likes this.