MLB 2019 | Page 8 | FerrariChat

MLB 2019

Discussion in 'Sports' started by TheMayor, Feb 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Maybe it's time to raise the pitchers' mound a little. Look what happened in London over the weekend! Lord have mercy on all those poor pitchers.

2. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Crazy game last night Dodgers vs AZ

Bottom of the ninth 4:3 AZ over Dodgers. 2 out with weak ground outs. The pitcher then walks 4 in a row, many with 2 strikes. So the game is tied. They replace the pitcher. He walks Bellinger to WIN.

Not one batter even hit a foul ball in the last 5 batters.

Dodgers win in a "walk off" 5:4. I don't think I've ever seen that before to win in the 9th.

3. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    They say that's the first time in MLB history that a team ever walked five men in a row to lose a ballgame.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Hmm. I thought the Mets would have pulled off something like that.

I was watching a double A game back years ago where the pitcher just lost it. Walked 4 guys in little more than the minimum # of pitches. At first, we were cheering because it was the opposition. After a while, you just felt sorry for the young man. After walk # 4, the manager mercifully took him out.

T

5. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    In this year of home runs, the Braves had another team distinction last night - for the first time since they moved to Atlanta, all four starting infielders hit homers in the same game! (And for good measure, shortstop Dansby Swanson hit a second one!)

6. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    #181 ralfabco, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019

At times, a pitcher will work on developing a new pitch.

I follow our minor league affiliated young prospects, to some degree. It is not worth your time to read the review of the game. Just briefly look at the game stats, by the hi-upside prospects.

I don't think the pitchers are happy with the juiced ball flying out of the park. I remember watching games in the old Astrodome. They moved the fence back when the team was loaded with fast spray hitters who did not have a lot of power. Games would typically have a final score, of 2-1 or 3-2.

The team played small ball and stole bases and had good pitching. The ball would just die when it was hit out to the deep outfield. At the time, I think our team 'slugger' had about 18 home runs for the season. It's a different game today.

7. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I hear that last year, the best any team in AAA did was 86 home runs or so. This year, at mid-season, the worst team in AAA already has 82! If you can't juice the players, juice the baseball...

8. Steelton Keith

Steelton Keith F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    speaking of bullpen troubles, Hello Tom C.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    We held it together last night. Barely.

Called my aunt up yesterday, and the first thing she did is launch into carping about the Mets bullpen! Poor old gal. She's 92 in a few weeks and has been a Mets fan since 1962.

There is a good bit of talent being wasted by an atrocious pen. They had a nice little window when much of the NL East was down, but it'll be tough sledding for a few years. The mid 70s - early 80s were like this. Who knows maybe the Renaissance is around the corner?!?

T

10. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I thought about you when I saw the Mets highlights last night Tom.

The Astros were just lighting up the Angels pitchers last night. And Cole struck out 9. And Yuli, what can you say. He's gotta be an Astro's lifer. He's just reliable. They were talking about it this week on the radio about him being an under the radar athlete in Houston. He's far better than he is recognized for. He's clutch.

11. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    mets' guy gets hit by 85 mph change up and goes ballistic. later on, another guy gets hit with a slow curve and the manager goes ballistic. Mets had two men on base at the time marking first time in MLB's 100+ year history that a pitcher decides to plunk a guy with his softest pitch in order to load the bases.

12. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yeah, but three HBPs in one game? In the days of yore, this would have been settled among the players. After Arrieta hit Alonso, Syndergaard shoulda plunked someone next inning and called it even.
    T

13. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Name a team this year that doesn't have bullpen issues. The Yankees were supposed to have a sound bullpen, but even they have had their share of blown saves. In fact, in the NL East, fans of every team have been bitching about their bullpens!

14. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    the only thing I can say about the Phillies is: relative to their starting rotation, their bullpen is looking better.

15. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    At least, Nola has been pitching very well lately.

16. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Well, the Mets won something tonight. I had forgotten that Pete Alonso was a Florida Gator.

tomc likes this.
  17. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Joc Peterson was awesome. It didn't even look like he was swinging that hard. He came close to winning but over time you can see you get tired out.

18. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Verlander needs to get more run with this. Did anyone know that the MLB owns Rawlings?!?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/astros-ace-justin-verlander-says-mlb-juicing-baseballs-turning-game-into-a-joke

19. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Exactly. Time to go back to dead ball era!

"... was announced on June 5, 2018 that Rawlings was sold from Newell Brands to the Los Angeles-based private equity firm, Seidler Equity Partners (SEP) (which owns LA Fitness), with MLB a co-investor in the $395 million deal. Rawlings employs 150 people in the St. Louis area, and 1,200 globally. The deal was completed on July 2, 2018."

T

20. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Baloney. Pitchers whining about home runs? Why don't we say that there are more 3 point shots every year in Basketball because the ball is "juiced"? Or is it that players are just getting better at shooting them and owners like players who shoot them because fans like to see them shot?

Players are getting better and stronger and the talent field is wider, partly because of more recruiting outside the USA. And they are better coached and trained to hit the long ball.

Fans like the home run ball like basketball fans like the 3 point shot. As long as its fair for all sides why would anyone care (other than pitchers!)

The home run adds tension to game as it means its easier and faster to catch up and a greater chance for come from behind win instead of tuning out in the 3rd inning.

21. Steelton Keith

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 19, 2009
    Raleigh NC
    Full Name:
    Keith Hall
    Bob...if you are still with us....how about that Phils-Dodgers game last night? WILD!

22. TexasF355F1

Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Brad Ausmus is a hypocritical *******.

23. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I grew up a Yankee fan on Long lsland. They are leading the AL East with many third string players. Everything they touch is turning to gold. Will be interesting to see what happens when everyone gets healthy.

St Louis my NL team has just brought up some players from the minors that are doing the job. The relief pitching is suspect but the results are impressive. Many starters are on the IL but when they get back things could improve. Did l mention that the relief pitching is suspect?

24. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I think that right now, EVERYONE'S relief pitching is suspect!

25. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yankees have four relievers with ERAs under 1.5. They have only lost two games when they have led at the end of the seventh inning. For the Yankees it’s their starting pitching that is suspect. When a healthy Severino comes back it could help alot if he returns to his best form...we will see. The Yankees have been beset by injuries 14. But the players they have brought in have turned to gold (so far). Their third string is playing and hitting better than most teams first strings.

Fun to watch indeed.