‘88 328 AC not working | FerrariChat

‘88 328 AC not working

Discussion in '308/328' started by F129b, Jul 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    For those who’ve had ac functionality problems, how many have been fixed with replacing AC relay?

Obviously the whole system could be compromised by a leak/loss of refrigerant, but I saw that the relay is a typical fail at this age too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Does the condenser fan turn on? Does the blower motor run? There Is a procedural method for troubleshooting the A/C system. It’s not that complicated and there is no reason to just start replacing components based on a hunch or even statistics.

mike996 likes this.
  3. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Frankly, not sure I can recall seeing many (any?) posts where the relay was the problem. Not saying it can't happen but seems a fairly unlikely reason for AC not working. But, as Kcab asked, what are the symptoms - they should almost immediately indicate or rule out the relay.

4. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Admittedly I have not gone into this any further than turning the blue knob while running the fans.
    If you can give me the steps to follow, I’ll try this wknd. I’ve had a 355 for 20 yrs, but this 328 is new to me and I’m not sure I even understand the HVAC system controls/knobs/buttons.

5. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    BTW, blower fans blow. Turning blue knob does nothing. The “bars” do not light up when you push the blue”dot” either.

6. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There's nothing really Ferrari-specific about the A/C system. To troubleshoot it you'll need a standard set of gauges, just search on YouTube and you'll find probably a thousand tutorials on how to go about it. The first step would be to find out if it's still R12 or if it's been converted to R134 and you can do that by looking at the fittings on top of the compressor.

sherrillt likes this.
  7. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    The bars are for heat control and have nothing to do with AC. The switches that control the AC are the two round ones just behind the gear shift and left of the cigarette lighter. The one on the left is the temperature control. The right one is for the blower. The AC will not come on if the blower switch is in the off position. A quick test would be the following.

1. Place the ignition switch in the on position so dash board lights up. Do not start engine because then you cannot hear anything if it is running.
    2. Turn the temperature control knob all the way clockwise.
    3. Turn the blower switch from off to on. As soon as you do this you should hear a click from the engine compartment. That is the AC clutch engaging.
    4. If you don't hear the click open the front hatch and locate the receiver/dryer. Pull off the two leads and take a wire and connect them one to the other. Ignition should still be on along with both control knobs as before. If you hear when a click when connection is made you are low on refrigerant or pressure switch is bad.
    5. If you do not hear a click then you might have a bad clutch. To check the clutch, go to engine compartment and disconnect the wire going to the compressor. It is near the oil dipstick. Attach an ohm meter and check resistance from compressor lead to engine block. It should be 3-5 ohms. If it is infinite, you have a bad clutch. You should be checking the end of the wire that goes to the compressor not the source which comes from the front of the car.

Let us know what you find.

Beard Bros., 308 milano, Rod and 3 others like this.
  8. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi Just followed your instructions regarding the air con, Ive no click from the clutch but seem to have 3.6 ohms when doing your test... If I don't have sufficient pressure will this affect the clutch clicking? thanks for any help

9. Lawrence Coppari

Lawrence Coppari Formula 3

Apr 29, 2002
    Kingsport, TN
    Full Name:
    Lawrence A. Coppari
    If there is insufficient pressure, the clutch will not be activated. What I would do next is remove the wire connection from the receiver/dryer and bridge the connection wires together. The pressure switch on the receiver/dryer acts as a switch. So you bypass it to do the test to see if the clutch engages. Let us know what you find.

10. Rod

Rod Formula Junior

Jan 18, 2004
    South Derbyshire
    Full Name:
    Rod
    Hi.. thanks for the reply... I disconnected the block connecter to the dryer, then used a wire to join the two spades coming from the dryer.. there is no noise from the engine bay.. if the system is not pressurised will the clutch not click?

11. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    Use a jumper wire to connect the two terminals of the block connector, not the two terminals on the drier.

12. 83911SCDrew

83911SCDrew Karting

Oct 21, 2018
    Bernardsville
    Full Name:
    Andrew K
    On a related subject, my air conditioning stopped working as effectively today while I was driving. My passenger got in the car I noticed that the right air conditioning vent did not seem to have air coming out of it, and air seem to be coming out from under the dashboard. There is like a home heater duct that connects to those vents right into the dash and it must’ve popped off! I reattached it in the air conditioning was restored! #ItalianCars #FixItAgainTony #TheStruggleIsReal # mamamia