Rolex Daytona 6263 | FerrariChat

Rolex Daytona 6263

Discussion in 'Fine Watches, Jewelry, & Clothes' started by 635CSI, Jul 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  2. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    6263’s are the minefield of Rolex collecting. There are more fakes, or watches with some fake parts on them, out there than any other model. Tread VERY carefully.

schwoo likes this.
  3. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let's say aftermarket parts... Rolex has always kept their spare parts channel relatively tight, as a result, in addition to a watch that needs regular servicing, is delicate, was once not worth a lot, has a modified Valjoux movement, and has lived a long life: at some point the temptation was too great to use non original parts to repair or service the watch. Unfortunately, Rolex used to have a habit of issuing some harsh declarations when a watch arrived for service with non original parts. With the current value of 6263s, it's probably worth it to buy and to replace parts with the correct parts from Rolex and compared with the cost of the watch, not too costly (depending on the part, of course.)

4. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    As I originally stated, I was referring to fake parts. Definition? A part presented or signed by Rolex that wasn’t actually made or sold by them, rather some sweatshop in Vietnam. There are a TON of them out there. Take a look at Phong’s, Yuki’s, or MG’s sites and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
    6263’s are the number 1 fake on the market today. The scary thing is, thanks to advancements, it is getting really tough to tell them apart. 2 famous auction houses have been duped just this year.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Understood, but I think in the Rolex world, a lot of watches have been branded "fake" without sinister intent. I.e. non-original parts rather than counterfeit.

6. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    When it comes to Rolex signed parts for 6263’s, there is only factory original Rolex parts, or “sinister intent” .

7. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    There are only a few parts signed Rolex on a 6263 (I could probably name them from memory,) and I think the term fake is used when aftermarket is more appropriate in most cases, but it sounds like you disagree.
    Nevertheless, your warning is valid, but I think it's more nuanced that you may.

Stentboy likes this.
  8. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Doesn’t matter I still enjoy a conversation with you.

The subway in Montreal still as nice as it used to be? Haven’t been there in years.

9. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    hmmmm, nice.... it has it's moments. Most notably, under Drapeau, artists and architects were commisioned to design individual and therefore unique stations.

10. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I looked at that listing on the 6263 a few weeks ago.

May or may not be a Frankenstein-watch (pushers are service for sure)...the condition report tells you all you need know (which is more than likely understated t the auction house as to what they really found).

Run...don’t walk.

Just for good measure, I had mine serviced last year. Very reasonable $2900 from an expert. That included a movement service, Rolex/period tube and crystal.

If you need to replace parts like bezels, pushers, hand sets, etc good luck.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zygomatic likes this.
  11. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Bob Ridley?

12. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I’m guessing Beau in LA.

... let’s see who guessed right.
    tap, tap, tap,
    “Is this thing on? Hello Chris?”

13. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    Correct.

For vintage movement work...Bob and or Phillip Ridley.

FYI...Phillip now has his own company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

14. cwilson13

cwilson13 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 20, 2012
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    CWilson
    I like Beau and the guys at LA. Beau may be the best case work guy in the country,

But they have gotten so busy, service is less personal and lead times longer,

And sorry...but it was Daytona’s and Tiki bars with the wife last night.

I feel like sh*at the moment. Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zygomatic, dstacy and ronfrohock like this.