ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT?? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

ANYBODY KNOW THIS 308 ON BaT??

Discussion in '308/328' started by steve meltzer, Jul 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    For the most part

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Since it's over, I can rag on the car....LOL!

I noticed the interior too. That's the one reason I have not restored mine, is that I have no faith "they" (anyone) can "do it right".....you don't see any wrinkles in a stock Italian 308, they have it smoothed down and correct, my headrest are perfect, save from where some lard azz Tech smashed one with his weight. Must have been a big guy as he knocked the interior mirror off as well, after he snapped the Choke cable.....sigh.

Final thoughts: Rust fix could have been as little as $2K, using Hot Rod vendors and blending the paint.

Spare parts from FerrParts and TRutlands could have sorted the radiator/spare surround issue too, or possibly reworking whatever issue had impacted the install originally.

As I mentioned I had to sort my ignition on #22127, as it came with shoddily installed MSDs that actually did not work, because of the install!
    So JRV sorted me out by revising the R1/R2 distributors to be single point only, and ditching the microswitch. After careful tuning (he was a glass spark plug kind of guy) it would even pass Smog Numbers, before the car went exempt in Texas. So, working with stock parts we made changes that were not very noticeable.

Is the new owner here?

I would say he's about $10K away in carefully spent money, from having this car sorted to pass judging.

I always wanted to grab the MSD rep at the NHRA Drag Races, and BEG the guy to do a modern retrofit of the 308 ignition system!
    What a sweet thing that would be, to have a sanitary version of our North American dual distributor ignition, engineered to "modern times".

I run the MSD "round coils" painted black, as the OEM ones are oil potted and "conventional wisdom" is they should not be horizontally mounted.
    Which Ferrari of course did on all of them.....

*shrugs shoulders"

I would think finding the OEM distributors and reworking then as described above would be the way forward.
    They work, they are tough.

Rifledriver has the machine.
    He did the last set up on mine, it's perfect.

19633500GT likes this.
  3. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    From the comments it sounds like it's headed to Europe, where this car is "well bought" compared to the dry sump (single distributor) GTBs there.

I love mine but truthfully I am ready to drive a newer Ferrari.
    A 430 6 speed coupe would see me trading keys, I think.

But of course jumping from an "upward price trend" to a downward one.
    Still, there's no sound like carbs and NON CAT exhaust!!!

Congrats to the new owner and to the dealership.

4. Dal308

Dal308 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2014
    Coppell, TX
    Full Name:
    Dude
    I have a setup that uses a single distributor housing, an inexpensive cap and rotor and electronic pickup, with an MSD that also provides the advance curve. I'm using a single QV coil.....works great. Just installed in on an engine rebuilt by rifledriver. Starts and idles well for an engine with 4 carburetors, AC on or off.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Atlanta355

Atlanta355 Karting

Jun 7, 2008
    Atlanta
    This was my old 308. I sold for the reason you mentioned, it was a lovely car but barely getting driven and a newer car gets used more often. Having said that I wish I had kept this car in hindsight and would have bought it back last week but not for 90k. The car was a great driver and I even took it on a tack day at Road Atlanta where it was faultless. Not sure why the newer radiator was fitted, there was never any overheating issues. The car paint looks the same as it did a decade ago and it had one respray back in the late 80's I recall. Engine was original. This car was serviced and maintained really well by all the owners before and after me that I talked to. I put on the Euro bumpers and they made a noticeable difference to the handling.