458 or 488 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
  2. Modena_2003

Modena_2003 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 16, 2008
    Saudi.Arabia / London
    Full Name:
    Moe Al-Bayat
  3. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    As I stated elsewhere:

I would only buy a 488 if it meant NOT parting ways with my 458.

And owning an Italia, I’d add a second 458 (Speciale or Spider, in that order) faster than I’d pull the trigger on a 488.

Bearing in mind above all; to each, his own. This is just my 2 cents.

The 458 is one of the best, most universally loved, celebrated and acclaimed Ferraris of all time. I compare the importance of the 458 and what it will do to the value of its predecessor and successor can only be compared to the 355.

The 355, time has shown (conclusively I’d say), it obliterated both the 348 and the 360 in terms of value and desirability. I believe, given enough time (like the 355, most of those cars are now 20+ years), the 458 will do exactly the same to the F430 and the 488.

As the 355, the 458 marks a series of lasts and firsts in Ferrari history. And that’s pretty cool, imho. I could go on, and on, and on... Believe me! I think, regardless of any poll, the market will have its say.

In any case, you only live once. Enjoy your 458 and/or 488 to the fullest.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Petrolhead#32, Pomppe, Wazmo and 8 others like this.
  4. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    458 Spider

5. schwoo

schwoo Formula Junior

Jun 22, 2013
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Marquette
    I have a 458, ordered a 488. Came to my senses, cancelled my order.

458 spyder

Pomppe, Wazmo, anishka and 4 others like this.
  6. MANDALAY

MANDALAY F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

May 23, 2013
    AUSTRALIA
    Full Name:
    ANGELO
    And for me reneged on the 458 as there were to many parts i didn't like. Preferred the 488 GTB and bought that.

And lets be honest IMO the Speciale looks 100% better than the 458 Italia

7. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    488. Drove both. For many reasons, 488 spoke to me. Newer. Faster. Sound? I’m tone deaf. Price difference less important to me as was the anticipated hit on depreciation.
    My 488 compliments my F12 better. Adds something more. To me. Thought I could keep it longer. Ferrari tech tends to prematurely age.

Cannot go wrong with either.

Personal choice.

Caeruleus11, SoCal to az and MANDALAY like this.
  8. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa

Looks are in the eye of the beholder.
    To me all the 458 lines make sense. They compliment each other. Prettiest fcar since the 360 IMVHO.

Sound there is no comparison. Pulled the lines to the exhaust baffles. Dealer did it. Doesn’t void the warranty. The growls, burps, bangs and howls are present all throughout the rev range. The 458 is the only road going fcar that revs to 9,000 rpm. Heaven.

I prefer the 458 spider. Even with the top up you can lower the back window and hear the engine/exhaust music even in the rain...and unless it’s raining really hard the water stays out of the cockpit. Few sports cars have a hard drop top. I really like this feature.

The 458 is plenty fast enough for me. In fact sometimes the car gets so well hooked up it scares me a little.

The car has been very reliable unlike the 360 and the 355 was in the shop frequently.

I could go on and on but you get the idea. I love the 458.

9. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    488 any day of the week and twice on sundays.

Newer, faster, better tech.

Oh wait sound....who cares. Everything else is better in a 488.

Mighty Joe and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    My friend just bought a 488. We were at a car show recently where all the cars drove away one at a time. Compared to everything else his 488 sounded like a Camry. 458 is way better if you care about the exhaust sound. No comparison.

elt360, Ferrari360FW, anishka and 3 others like this.
  11. I'll take a Pista.

12. Principissimo

Principissimo Formula Junior

Sep 14, 2015
    Milano
    Full Name:
    Bruno
    Had both and loved both.
    458 wins hands up in sound but 488 wins in all the rest ;) IMHO

Viperjoe, Zynch and Ash Patel like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    488 Spider

Looks more contemporary, drives miles better that the 458 Spider, and yes, I actually prefer the sound as I think it's much more complex and "real".

Mrpseudonym and Mighty Joe like this.
  14. henryenzo

henryenzo Karting

Jan 16, 2012
    458, then 488 and now Pista. I have loved each better than the one before. All wonderful.

Ianbrown1311 likes this.
  15. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    458 vs 488: these two videos pretty much sum it all up to me.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

Nicky_Santoro, x z8, Shark01 and 5 others like this.
  16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    I might be in a minority who prefer the looks of the 488.

I tried both and the difference on the street was not worth the additional $65-70k difference in cost once price, extra tax, registration, etc. was factored in to get a 488. Plus the 458 went through its main depreciation curve already. While it's hard to argue that any car purchase over $100,000 is 'rational' and certainly it is not necessary, but I couldn't justify it.

Which is my issue with the F8... I really would love one. It has the shape I like with a level of movement and detail that rivals the 720S, and I would like to spec one exactly how I want in order to keep it forever. But I cannot justify spending then double the 458. Maybe in a few more years $320k will seem "reasonable." :D :D

17. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    There is no better sounding 458 than Carlo's.... Hands down, the best in the world!! :) :) CIAO!! :)

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  18. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    458 hands down.
    The sound is glorious.
    If that’s not your thing, just get a cheap turbo car and save money. No point.

F2003-GA, Shark01 and xfrgtr like this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Ahh...been a long time since I’ve visited Carlo and Lola!

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  20. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    I used to love listening to the sound of a 458.....in the rear view mirror of my 488.

21. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    This topic is a never ending argument with 2 opposing views trying to convince each other without success. what has surprised me is how frequently people get drawn in to this argument over and over again

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

22. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    not an argument - i'm not interested in the opinions, just the numbers from the poll.

F2003-GA and NuorderSG like this.
  23. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    For me, the 458 is the purest look and statement of intent- between the two. I didn't like what they did with the Speciale, I think they just added these little wings in places and kind of messed up the look to my eyes. The 488 is more aggressive and its great looking in person. The Pista manages to avoid the silly side fins of the Speciale but is also kind of busy, maybe I just like the places they added things better- but I do love the extra aggression- I think the 488 styling is asking to go more extreme. I find the 458 to be a blast to drive and the Speciale is even more so. But, I can understand those who say these cars are missing a bit of mid range relative to the 488. The 458 really needs to be revved to get to the meat of the power band. For some this is exciting. For others its annoying/ frustrating since you will already be moving at a decent clip. As bizarre as this sounds, it kind of reminds me a little of the F40- you have to be into the revs to get the power. There is noting like the second half of the 458's rev range though. The 488 is much easier to live with- it has power almost everywhere. As long as you have a few revs on the clock, you can just put your foot down and it goes. But the GTB/Spider are lacking the top end of the rev range fizz and drama of the 458. I hear they have resolved this better with the Pista.

Anyway this kind of reminds me of 360/430 discussions. I'm just glad to be around to enjoy these incredible cars with my family and friends!

24. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Both are amazing cars. Went 488 over 458 when considering both earlier this year

Re sound - it’s important but not paramount to me, having my 9k redline GT3 I was risking losing my license at upper revs to get that chainsaw through metal noise on street roads. At lower RPMs I actually preferred the deeper rolling thunder noise of the 488 compared to the higher (arguably more signature v8 Ferrari sounding) pitch of the 458

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

25. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I get what you’re saying. But that’s exactly what F8 owners will say about your 488, and it won’t diminish how great a 488 is.

Heck, any decent BMW or Mercedes obliterates a 355. Yet, it doesn’t mean the 355 is worthless, quite the opposite: given the opportunity, people would grab the 355 without looking back and forget about the germans, although they’re faster.

Again: I get what you’re saying, but speed can’t be the only deciding factor. There’s no winning in that argument, imho.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

TroyNVie, F2003-GA, x z8 and 8 others like this.