Ferrari body panel inconsistencies | FerrariChat

Ferrari body panel inconsistencies

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by J. Zaman, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. J. Zaman

J. Zaman Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Jamil Zaman
    Need some advice. I looked at a consignment 2014 458 at a Ferrari dealer, it had super low 2k miles, absolutely like new condition. However, I noticed a wider gap in front of the driver's door that looked about twice as wide as the same gap in front of the passenger door. Seller claims no body work has been done. My question is since these cars are hand made, is it possible that the gap tolerances between the body panels are greater and is this a non-issue?

2. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
  3. J. Zaman

J. Zaman Rookie

Jul 12, 2019
    Houston, TX USA
    Full Name:
    Jamil Zaman
    Asking the salesman and will post them as soon as I get them.

4. Viperjoe

Viperjoe F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Although repairs are sometimes made outside of an insurance claim (cash), I'd look at the Carfax just so that box could be checked. I'd be highly suspicious; Ferrari build quality is excellent.

5. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    These cars are not hand built. Hand assembled is some areas. The shut lines should be equal everywhere. Just like a Ford.

BOKE likes this.
  6. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

My old but brand new Ford Mustang had orange peel paint on the lower parts of both doors. Not a brand I associate with quality.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Are you sure? I'm not aware of any modern car with metal body panels that doesn't have hood and fenders adjustable to get all lines to fit. It has to be adjusted by hand on the assembly line and if not done it would not look right if you look closely.

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  8. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    6:42 in this video shows the parts under the 458 fender that are made for adjusting to get panel gaps right. Door-fender gap can be adjusted too. Not just fender-hood.

youtu.be/LjPBP2s2OGc?t=388

Modena_2003 likes this.
  9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Yes..just like a Ford. Doors, hood, fenders, etc all have allowances for adjustment. Which as you have stated is accomplished by hand. However, the panels ar2 all machine stamped, just like a Ford. Not hand beaten over a buck like the old days of truely hand built cars.

A Ferrari would never pass final inspection with gaps as the op has described. Neither would a focus.

10. BMW.SauberF1Team

Dec 4, 2004
    Based on some comments from new owners every now and then I think there may be some disagreement on that statement. Both in paint quality and other finishing details. That's not even going into how people spend $300k+ on a new Ferrari with certain specs and it arrives not at all like what they ordered and they are given a take it or leave it option...

Eric C likes this.
  11. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Every single car but Aston and rolls and Bentley has orange peel. Orange peel is not the sign of low quality

tbakowsky likes this.
  12. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    The best paint quality I have seen is Lexus on the higher end cars. Chrysler ain't bad either. BMW is a joke.