mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 114 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dolcevita

Dolcevita Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 5, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Craig
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    I'll have to admit that I am impressed. I've never considered a Corvette as it just wasn't my thing. However, this may make me rethink that.

Car and driver has some great photos from the reveal. This cut away of the car is great.

If you were wondering if GM kept the ability to swallow a set of golf clubs, here's your answer.

of2worlds, rdefabri and k wright like this.
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Turned off reveal after 5 mins as it was just too much garbage. Car looks like what everyone thought it would look like and it is following the Corvette formula. Good looks, not to-die-for looks, unbelievable power, nice appointments.

For me, no manual is an I'm out and I would not own a first year of this car as it will be gouged at the dealers and certainly have issues. Most important is what is the drive like; stearing light and giving feedback or electric and little feedback.

As for the this will destroy the Porsche Boxster, Caymen, used Ferrari market, get real. It's never done it before and it won't now. If someone is buying LV luggage it's not because it's got better materials than the
    Coach.

Anyway, I will persue a drive in one to see if my opinion changes dramatically, but after a recent drive in the 427 2013 convertible, not super confident.

3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Except Caymans and Boxsters aren't the LV luggage of the car world.

Phil~ and VAF84 like this.
  4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Agree re the styling-rear end is too busy-but I like the profile especially in the lighter colors.

As for the engine stats for a base model at that price it is fine. More exotic tech = more money and the value proposition fades. That said a flat plane crank would have been awesome as the gt350 sounds badass.

3 second 0-60 time is probably a bit optimistic imho but due to engine location traction is better, plus the dct helps.

The reveal was IMHO awful. In lieu of nasa I would have focused on early vettes, how the corvette lost its way and could have easily disappeared in the 70s, to the racing program and LeMans victories that demonstrates the commitment to Corvette. I would have had key members of the racing team speak at the reveal, talk about development of the car, etc. Who the hell would have expected to hear the words”frog embryology” at a car reveal?

Thecadster, VAF84 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  5. Rags747

Rags747 Formula Junior

Sep 23, 2005
    New York
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Every Tom Dick and Harry has always had the ability to buy Corvettes and yet you still do not see them all that frequently. In fact where I am you are much more likely to see a Ferrari. 30 some odd thousand Vettes a year doesn’t exactly put them on every corner or every stop light.

Boomhauer likes this.
  6. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    The dealer markup is a given, but the real concern is how long is it going to take GM to make the car reliable.....teething troubles are inevitable.

7. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    The yellow looks almost Lambo "green" to me. Maybe it is still too early in the morning.

8. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Thank God there is a way to make the ugly boomerangs go away! I wonder what the price is they are asking? Looks like GM is playing the extortion card.:eek:

Thecadster likes this.
  9. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    3450 dry is 3650 wet, even 3450 wet is heavy, and laoded with options its way more. Compare to a C6 z06 3150, and every car does not get heavier the other exotics are getting lighter..

10. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Thats sums it up for me.

energy88 likes this.
  11. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It won't destroy Ferrari sales, but I'm sure it will impact Boxster sales.

Corvette and 911 always go toe-to-toe in terms of overall sales. Where GM needs to make a dent is in Europe, which I have said this car is intended to do all along. It's available in RHD, and at a potential price point under $60K for the level of performance being touted, surely they will sell a few thousand there. That's a huge win for GM.

Biggest issue will be perception of quality. If they can tidy that up, I think 5,000 units in Europe is achievable. Add a similar number in Canada and 30,000 in US and they'll move 40,000. I have read (not confirmed) that GM gets close to 50% margin on Corvette. If true, than the contribution this car will make is massive.

We all knew what it would look like, but seeing it now - I like it. I'm not blown away, but given the design restrictions a mid-engine layout presents, it's pretty cool.

Mbutner, werewolf and Dolcevita like this.
  12. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    Not much unexpected revealed overnite apart from the spy photos of the past few months except that lame Stingray logo now adorns the rear deck.

Dennis the Menace probably had the best comment for expectations versus a reveal situation such as this:

13. Phil~

Phil~ F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2013
    Potomac, Maryland
    Can’t wait for Z06!

Mbutner likes this.
  14. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Bingo - beat me to it. The Z51 package will NOT be over $100K. It's amazing how ignorant some are given the facts right in front of them.

This will be a $60k car that will do 0-60 in 3 seconds. Corvette has never wanted for performance, it's issue has always been perception of quality. If GM can tackle that, they have a gem on their hands. Who the hell cares about manual (I do, but how many REALLY do in terms of buying public)? No one buys a manual anymore - it's all going flappy paddle, and the Corvette will have no issue with that.

They'll have issues with demand up front and gouging. GM needs to be tough on this - you want a Corvette in every driveway...may damn well do it.

VAF84 likes this.
  15. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    cayman with its 4 cyl and $100k is dead. they can keep the gt4 w stick shift for track guys then switch to all electric but that's tiny niche market. r8, nsx, gtr, 570, etc are in big trouble as they are 2 or 3 x price with little to distinguish from vette. never thought c8 would be under $100k. amazing

16. AtSomePoint

AtSomePoint Karting

Jun 20, 2009
    Miami Beach
    Full Name:
    Bill
    That sir is the $64K question.

17. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    Yeah, the reveal was pretty awful. The whole time I was thinking "get to the car already."

I would've liked to see 500 hp for the base car just because it sounds better than 495, but again, it's hard to argue with the performance numbers that Chevy is stating.

I don't think people are really putting that 0-60 time into context: that is genuine supercar territory from a car that starts around $60,000. That's nuts! I know 0-60 isn't everything (I'm curious about the handling, the overall feel and balance, grip, etc.), but that's really insane for a car in this price range. Based on current pricing, a nicely equipped Z51 will probably run 75-80K--that's a phenomenal deal, which, I suppose, has been the hallmark of Corvette for a long time now. IMO, nothing else in that price range even comes close.

werewolf, VAF84 and Jo Sta7 like this.
  18. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    The previously linked Road and Track article states that the official dry weight is 3366 lbs., so figure about 3500 and change with fluids. Not much different from the current car, and only about a hundred pounds heavier than the 488 that Motor Trend proclaimed best driver's car (its curb weight was listed as 3412). Sure the 488 has a ton more power, but it's also a ton more expensive and out of reach for most Corvette buyers anyway.

Naturally lighter is better, but purist lightweight cars don't sell in America (take a look at 4C and Lotus sales), and the Corvette has always been about practicality. If buyers want a lighter car, they can go get a Cayman S and pay the same price (or more) for arguably less performance. Would it be great if the C8 was the same weight as the C6 Z06? Of course, but if it were that easy to do in 2019, someone else would be building a 505 hp 3150 lb. car at an "affordable" price--but I don't see anyone else doing it.

Mbutner and jimmyb like this.
  19. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    They said they added some blue to it, which would make it appear green.

energy88 likes this.
  20. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Super car 0-60 maybe. This car is simply not a super car.

Just because it’s mid engined people think it’s a super car.

The F12 is front engined and so was z06 - was vette a super car? No it was cheap speed for the masses.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

21. omniman

omniman Formula Junior

Aug 24, 2008
    Florida/Michigan
    Full Name:
    James L.
    So if I trick out this car with all the upgrades as they are introduced: targa, Z51, and any other performance option available, how can I justify spending $350k on Ferrari's next best thing? Better leather? More hp/ Liter? Is the Ferrari brand worth a quarter million dollars to me (similar upgraded F car)?

The interior has always been my issue with corvette and GM in general. Cheap looking finishes and poorly thought out placements. I am hopeful that this has changed for the better. I have consciously steered clear of corvette up until now... have my Ferrari so I am happy... however I am going to take a good look at this.

of2worlds and VAF84 like this.
  22. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    Its pretty apparent weight was not one of the factors GM was worried about. They never mentioned it. Go to a McLaren reveal and its all they talk about. And in fact HP was another thing they didn't worry about. What they wanted is 2 things

1) price
    2) 0-60 times

So they must have made it up in gearing and traction control. Notice they never mentioned top speed.

I agree it will hurt Caymans. And you have to question why someone would buy the new base McLaren now. It isn't a great looker either and its over 200 grand. But it sure looks like Porsche was their target.

TomAZ likes this.
  23. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Guess that depends where you live. I see 10 to 12 Vettes every day in my little town. Otherwise? A couple Maseratis, sometimes a Ferrari, maybe 6 or 8 Porsches, the odd Lotus, and a very occasional Lambo.

Most places I've lived? Any time you are stuck at a red light, you can usually spot at least 4 Vettes if you look through traffic.

of2worlds and TomAZ like this.
  24. darkkaangel

darkkaangel Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2007
    North Texas
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #2849 darkkaangel, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Could not have said it better and you know what?
    The buttons and switches will never get sticky in the corvette and have to be redone aftermarket like every damned Ferrari has to have done to this day.
    I still love Ferrari, but some people on here just don't like to face the fact that your getting a mid engine Ferrari like car that can be taken to any Chevy dealer for service without the ridiculous costs that come with taking a Ferrari into the dealer for service for way less than $100k let alone the $300k+ for a 488 or even a used 458 that is $170k+ used.
    Will there be more of these on the road than a 488 or 458, yep and you know what who cares, just more people you can give a thumb's up to when you see them on the road. :)

Mbutner, jm2, of2worlds and 3 others like this.
  25. TomAZ

TomAZ Karting

Jun 3, 2019
    Full Name:
    Thomas Ellis
    Hasn’t that always been the case?

California T - C7?

Apple for apples - NAH

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app