Ferrari 328gts engine removal | FerrariChat

Ferrari 328gts engine removal

Discussion in '308/328' started by Shelswell, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Shelswell

Shelswell Rookie

Jun 9, 2019
    Full Name:
    Michael Shelswell
    Hi Ferrari chat I'm looking to remove my Ferrari 328gts engine and was wondering if there's any nasty surprises to look out for , special tools or breakable avoidables . I'm an engineer by trade so I like to think I'm very competent if no horrors await . Please advise . Thanks

2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Ideally, I guess you should post that question in the "308/328" section...

Rgds

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    There's probably a relevant thread in the 'interesting' sticky at the top plus others covering this over the years in this main section

4. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe
  5. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    For the 328, no special tools required. Some tricks are:

1. Remove the front header and leave it in the bay
    2. The rear header also gets in the way, but it needs to be removed with the engine up a bit in the air. Then leave the header in the bay
    3. Mark the engine mounts so you know where they are to go back in

Have fun. Not really hard, just finicky and you want to have help.

6. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Protect the rear glass!!

derekw likes this.
  7. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I recently completed an engine R&R on my 308 which is most likely pretty much identical. Getting the exhaust headers off in-situ is one of the challenges especially if they are shrouded and have not been off in 30 years. It's the baggage compartment that causes all of the problems, if that had been made as a removable sub-assembly it would be a piece of cake but as is it's a tight squeeze getting the entire lump in and out. A couple of extra hands to guide and, as noted, put something in there to protect the rear glass. The sling goes around the 5-8 head and it comes out with the transaxle hanging lower. Have fun.

8. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    As above, protect the rear glass. Take as much off the engine as you can, use an engine leveller.
    Finding an engine crane with sufficient reach wasn't easy & the only way the one I had would do it was from the side which is less than ideal & involved removing a wheel.

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    lain - I disagree about the leveller. That may have been your problem because it eats up a foot and a half of your vertical range by putting it in there. I decided not to use mine because of that plus with a single sling around the forward head the engine will hang at the perfect angle for removal.

Another tip I just remembered - mount the alternator before dropping the engine back in. It won't get in the way and you'll thank yourself for not having to wrestle it in there from underneath afterwards.

Pero likes this.
  10. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Its 7 or 8 years since I took mine out but it would have been impossible to remove it without the leveller. I used the leveler to balance it L-R, not F-R. Sling was indeed around the front head. The problem with the crane was the reach of the arm, it simply wasn't long enough to get the thing out from behind the car

11. jmaienza

jmaienza Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Full Name:
    Joe

12. sp1der

sp1der F1 Rookie

Jan 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name: