The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 3 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dakota

Dakota Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2012
    Alvord Texas
    Full Name:
    Dakota Crafton
    This car looKs FAST on paper, besides the 495 hp?
    Must be a fast trans and a lot of computer efficiencies.

2. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    The engine is almost twice the size of a 488. This car must be really heavy but geared really low in 1-2.

3. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    It's here!

I actually like the lines more now. That row of control buttons is pretty dumb considering you can put 90% of them in the infotainment system, but other than that. Pretty impressive BASE numbers and storage. I'd wait it out a year for the bugs to work themselves out and for higher horsepower but she's looking like a solid track *****. Post good coverage videos and pics below!

4. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I like it, I am getting one, I will make it better, for me!

5. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    It's sexy for sure...now to watch prices for the C7 ZR1....

I wonder if they will still continue to make the Z06 and GS versions...that styling is so aggressive already that those have to be insane.

driller1 and ChadR like this.
  6. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    NA V8 starting at $60K!!! Come on Ferrari, make that Dino replacement and forget about a SUV.

7. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    Not a fan of the dash/cockpit where it comes diagonal to the shifter. To me this drastically separates the driver from the passenger. Need to see on up close.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    Meh. It's a mid-engine version of the C7.

I can see the same Corvette guy in this car as last. Never liked how everything in the "cockpit" is so close to the driver. It makes me feel claustrophobic just looking at it. And the separation from the passenger... how can you put your hand on your spouse to calm her with that ridge of buttons in the way.. ;) And yes.. have to see it in person.

Eric R likes this.
  9. RudyP

RudyP Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

FWIW - I'm fairly impressed and I'm not much of a Corvette guy.

I really like the price/performance, I think it looks great from side or front 3/4, it's a proper mid-engine exotic looking car with real performance for ~$60-70K new and there is nothing remotely like that on the marketplace. Think about what $60K buys you otherwise - a cheapo BMW or a 4 cylinder base Boxster with no options and a really friendly dealer (maybe!)...

I don't like the look of the interior or of the rear of the car and I strongly dislike auto only (that alone would be a non-starter for me) but at that price, it has to have some flaws...

That all being said, even with a manual, I wouldn't really be a buyer - there are too many other cars that I want a lot more (admittedly for more $$$ but I'm more space constrained than $$$ constrained) but I am impressed with what Chevy has done and I hope they sell a ton of them - and offer a manual at some point!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  10. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Best part, this car will be driven, a lot, no one will be afraid to use it daily, track it, no one will be afraid of horrendous depreciation for any mileage over a 1000 miles and no one will be afraid of having the car "sale proof" and worth 50% less because Carfax showed a "Damage" history, regardless if it was just a bumper replacement.
    Ferrari owners (at least a majority of them so don't get your own panties twisted) will continue to look down at the new Corvette, while their Ferraris will continue to sit in their heated garages for fear of all of the above.

11. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    #61 BLACK HORSE, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
    Its an interesting observation... we (American's) can design and build the most advanced kick A$$ fighter jets in the world... BUT we can't build an exotic sports car worth buying!!!

davemqv, syata and energy88 like this.
  12. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Not really. The simple, single cam-in-block, two valve per cylinder design, no turbos and all associated plumbing, and fluids, etc...

I'm sure the engine in the Vette is lighter than the complete engine in the 488. And probably alot more reliable and simpler to maintain. It's still a small block chevy at the end of the day.

13. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    3.8L vs 6.2L

14. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I have to say that I’m really digging the aggressive styling....BUT I remember watching the unveiling of the c7 and thinking the same thing, and when when the z06 came out, the stingray looked simple and boring. I am really looking forward to seeing the “performance versions” of the c8. It’s going to be amazing.

DIGMAN52 and VAF84 like this.
  15. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Not questioning the displacement- the comment on weight. Sorry if I wasnt clear.

I'm sure that the 6.2L small block is lighter than the 3.8L DOHC twin turbo Ferrai motor. And physically smaller.

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  16. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Not sure what your point is. The old 7 liter LS7 is lighter than most "exotic" V8s. I'm willing to bet this Vette engine is lighter than the 488 power plant. Also, a 6.2 will have much more torque than 3.8.

17. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    I think it looks pretty good and the price / performance is incredible! The interior is a nice update. I think linking it with the moon landing is smart marketing. Most cars try to play to national strengths. Overall I am very impressed and say way to go Chevrolet!

18. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I like it, especially for 60k? True bang for buck. I think they did a great job.

19. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
  20. Fireman1291

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    "The new Corvette can be programmed to automatically lift its nose when, say, approaching your driveway or that pesky speed bump at the grocery store."

That's one of those "why didn't I think of that moments"...

Coincid, VAF84, stavura and 3 others like this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    wow that's really cool!

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  22. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    With that price, this will change the game. Well done to GM. I'm not a Corvette guy, but it's undeniable they have put a lot of effort into making the car a GM flagship. I'm impressed, even though I don't like the styling so much, and even with a part of me missing the front engine design. Can you imagine the tuned up versions? And the Le Mans racecar?

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  23. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    Some articles talked of the Z06 power plant being twin turbo. I'm not a fan of turbos so I hope it stays supercharged but we'll see.

24. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    I didn't see it posted on this thread, but here's a link to a YT video from the C8's latest trip to the ring. Watch for the one in the dark grey camo. It seems to perform better than the others.

Curb weight is reportedly 3360 Lbs.

Here's the leaked CAD image of the twin-turbo engine. Supposedly producing 1,000 hp.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Helluva combo of performance/price/looks.. I've never really been a Corvette guy, but what Chevy put out is undeniably cool. The Acura NSX and Audi R8 are already on shaky ground.. This will probably put those two out of production. It's nice they're keeping at least the base model NA. In a couple years you'll be able to get decently configured, well-kept used cars in the low $60s.. Probably even $50s. Crazy value.