458 - Looking at a 2011 Italia. Any pointers? | FerrariChat

458 Looking at a 2011 Italia. Any pointers?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by KC360 FL, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Hi folks; I currently have a very nice 360 coupe I have owned for about two years now. I love the car but... I have a real attraction to the looks of the 458 coupe. I have an opportunity to look at and possibly drive a 2011 car with about 21K miles on it. Options are not a big deal to me, but it does have the CF LED steering wheel, Shields, and that's about it for the "big" items.

I know the cars prior to the 2012's have had some trans issues as well as some crazy brake failure issue. Is there anything else I should be aware of? Do you believe a car with over 20K miles has passed the point of concern for these issues? Anything else you can tell me that would be of help when going over the car? It is at what appears to be an upscale dealer , not a private seller.

Thanks in advance for the input.

whatheheck and phill88 like this.
  2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Hi KC,

As far as I know, the only thing that changed in 2012 is that from that point onwards, owners get 7 years “free” maintenance, and a newer software version that eliminates backfire/crackles/pops on deceleration.

Other than that (guys please correct me if I’m wrong and/or missing something), 458 production remained basically the same (or in terms of mechanics, electronics, wiring, etc: exactly the same).

I have not seen any evidence to support that pre-2011 cars are more or less prone to mechanical issues/transmission issues/braking issues than post-2012 cars.

I’ve seen post-2012 458s and F12s with gearbox speed sensor issues as well. It seems the issue lies with Getrag. I’ve also seen spectacular 488 braking issues and the car was released much later than 2011.

Most transmission problems occured on Californias. That seems the model most affected by the issue, not the 458, although I guess it can happen to any Ferrari with a Getrag gearbox, regardless of year of manufacture.

You’re coming from a Modena. Prepare to be dazzled by a brave and wonderful new world, my friend. You’ll adore the 458, I guarantee it!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  3. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks much Nuno. I know I'm already hooked on the design. While the 360 has it's classic elements, the 458 has a very sinister yet refined look to it. And of course as you said, I'm sure the driving experience is quite different-- and better given the mechanical upgrades, clutch, shifts, etc.

Regards, ken

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  4. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Gotta say... after being on the 360 board, this 458 board is not impressing me.

1 reply. just one. The 360 guys seem way more involved and helpful.

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if you search "buying" "looking" in 458 section you will see dozens and dozens of posts exactly same as your question....

6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    fwiw any of the post 2010 models have nuclear risks - new lussos are showing the PTU issue which is a 40k fix. i has 2 2010 458s and no issues but because i have alot of cars i really dont put many miles on mine. nothing wrong with a 2010 or 2011. 7 yr maintenance is fading out now that is gonna be 2020 soon and honestly the annual maintenance plan is basically an oil change so anyone who targets cars with 7 yr is just making things more complicated. Again its 7 yr maintenance and NOT 7 year warranty.

7. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Appreciate the input. I have read some of the posts as "stickys" on this forum regarding various issues. But as any forum, just looking for more real time up to date info since as you say, these cars are certainly becoming used cars out of service. I've read the seven year warranty posts, and I agree, mostly now not applicable-- even with the "right" year 458-- they don't seem to cover much of the big expenses.

I'm pretty much a hands on guy with my cars. What concerns me most is what I call the "black box" issues-- electronic failures, sensor failures, and the like. Not easy to trace and can be a real expense to fix without the correct diagnostic tools. The 458 is loaded with tech and that concerns me. And I have read here on the forums about battery issues causing all sorts of various electronic issues.

I as yourself, have my Ferrari for a limited use "fun car" and issues that lay it up for things I cannot fix myself is a concern. Just looking for owners who have had their 458s for some time now and can report back on how the years of driving have treated them and what model years seem to have more issues than others.

Regards, ken

AlfistaPortoghese and Viper830tt like this.
  8. raclaims

raclaims Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2007
    Northern NJ
    I bought a 2010 458 new...it's been flawless. Not one issue. I mean the paint sucked from the factory and my detailer spent 2 days fixing it. But mechanically it's been spot on.

9. Viper830tt

Viper830tt Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

May 10, 2017
    I assume that you have read about electronic issues and the apparent correlation with oem batteries. Seems like that is relatively easy fix for an electronic problem that i wouldnt have come up with if i hadnt looked at this forum. RayJohn seems to have a ton of experience with ferrari quirks like this and 488.

Sent from my SM-N920V using FerrariChat.com mobile app

10. kiryu

kiryu Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2016
    Los Angeles
    i have a late 2010 for 2 years now, no problems. sticky buttons yes which i sent out to get refinished. my left screen turned green once, but restarted and it went away. Put in a new battery and tpms. Shifts fine. Put 5k miles on it so far. No issues *knock on wood*
    with 458 i think it'***** and miss, there are issues here and there but doesnt affect every car

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  11. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I asked the dealer and the car just had the battery replaced a month ago, so that's good news. A fresh battery in these 458s seem to keep things on the up and up.

12. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Good on you. Same with my current '03 360 F1. Two, almost three years now and totally uneventful. Just plain fun. Actually have a bit of hedging on the 458 since the 360 has been so good to me!

And I agree. I have been lurking on this 458 forum for a bit now and it does seem like it'***** or miss-- and truthfully, kinda the same on the 360 forum. Some guys have had terrible luck with one thing after another and others, clear sailing for the most part. Just reinforces that life's just a big crap shoot I guess...

Cheers, ken.

13. gzachary

gzachary Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Jan 10, 2011
    California
    Happy to tell you I have a 2011 458 with 10K miles. Zero problems. As good or better than when I first bought it. Of course, regular service, etc.

14. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Ken,

Although I’m not addressing your question directly, I enjoy your input very much and I hope this helps:

When looking for a pre owned 458, a lot of people elect mileage as their chief concern. That may actually make some sense if you buy the car but are planning to resale it in the short term.

Assuming that’s not your case, that is, that you’re buying to enjoy and not to resell in the foreseeable future, I wouldn’t get tangled in questions of mileage and/or year of manufacture. Why wouldn’t I:

1) These post-2008 Ferraris aren’t the heavy, complicated, hard on your body machines that 308s, Mondials or 348s used to be. They’re so easy and pleasant to drive casually and on the limit, that these cars will rack up significant more mileage than older Ferrari models, and components of modern Ferraris (namely engine) is much better prepared to deal with mileage. 50.000km on a 308 is one thing, on a 458 or 488 quite another.

2) Low mileage cars mean garage queens which, in turn, mean potential hefty maintenance bills. If the car has barely moved, few things can go wrong. If you do little or nothing, nothing could go wrong. Once you start enjoying the car, issues it developed while sitting still may emerge, quite spectacularly.

3) “Higher” mileage cars (I mean “normal”, “acceptable” - like, for instance, say 4.000km/year) will have a properly reduced buying price.

What do I personally value, regardless of mileage?

A) Complete maintenance history from day one. And I don’t mean just a fully stamped maintenance book. I mean receipts to go along which each maintenance and stamp.

B) Optional equipment. If the car was configured to my taste, without difficult-to-explain situations, like: no carbon fiber whatsoever, and then carbon fiber F1 gearbox levers. Doesn’t make much sense and tells you car was probably configured on a budget.

C) All factory accessories present and accounted for: books, tool kit, compressor kit, car cover, steering wheel and seat covers, 2 keys, keycode card, “Welcome to Ferrari” leather dossier, etc.

D) Some sort of proof the car has never been involved in an accident.

E) Know the previous owner! Meet with him/her, talk to him/her. You’ll be surprised how much one can deduce the car was maintained and used, if one gets to know how how the previous owner thinks, believes, does, etc.

F) Check ownership history if you can. Personally, if a car has 4 or 5 owners in 5 or 6 years, to me that’s a red flag. No one probably paid much attention to it, if at all. Most likely car was used, abused and sold before a proper, expensive maintenance. God knows if next owner did the same and so on... So I wouldn’t risk it. Plenty of nice 458s out there, no pressure or need to make a risky move.

I’m sorry Ken if this isn’t quite what you where looking for and/or if you’re sick and tired of already knowing all of the above, but I’d like to share my personal, biased opinion with you.

Kind regards and have a nice weekend!

Nuno.

15. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Thanks, Nuno. All input is very much appreciated. And you are correct. We agree on the mileage thing. Cosmetic condition is far more important and of course maintenance records to be sure.

I traded my 911 in on my current 360. I had that 911 for seventeen years and it was like new everywhere with no signs of wear anywhere. And in fact it was actually less flawed than the 360 I had traded it for-- and my 360 is a very beautiful car. Point being: The 911 had 50K miles on it. The 360 when I traded in the 911 for it had a mere 21K miles. Yet even the dealer of the 360 had to admit my 911 was in cosmetically better condition than the 360 he was selling.

Mileage isn't an issue for me. As you correctly surmised, the 458 will be a car I keep for many years and use as a pleasure drive as often as I can squeeze it in!

Regards, ken

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  16. SCHUMS2000

SCHUMS2000 Rookie

Apr 25, 2017
    How did you solve the bluetooth issue?