The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette) | Page 4 | FerrariChat

The good news is, mid engine Ferrari's are safe (C8 Vette)

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Fireman1291, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    The outside is a rehash of 10-20 year old Ferrari/McClaren designs. Standard "sports car" design for uninspired/unoriginal designers circa 2019. The interior is hideous.

Corvettes have sucked for a long time. Moving the engine doesn't appear to have changed that.

PhilNotHill likes this.
  2. dsevo

dsevo Formula Junior

May 7, 2007
    Flower Mound, TX
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    That’s dry weight according to the GM press release. Probably more like 3500 curb weight.

3. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Nothing personal, and I mean that (but you are being rude—unintentionally perhaps—to ‘vette enthusiasts)...but you refer to ‘vette sucking for a long time” yet your profile has you driving a mondial. Now there is irony in that.
    My Z06 wouldn’t even be able to keep your car in its rear view mirror for more than 2 seconds, could go tens of thousands of miles more than yours without a mechanical hiccup, finish a 5 lap race around Big Willow against your’s destroying it and that includes me stopping for breakfast. Not to mention loaded with electronic options and an a/c that I can personally attest will keep you cool driving with top off in 90+F temps. Oh, and the V8 sound in Z06 will make your’s sound like a squeaky toy in comparison.
    How about your car?
    (Btw before you label me as a ‘vette apologist I have an F12, Speciale, 16M, 458 Spider....love Ferrari’s)
    All in good fun...but still. :)

4. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    You'll see these at $40k at used car lots in no time. Then they will be everywhere. I am disappointed in the low price because that means its will be full of plastic interior pieces. And before anyone says you can get the 3LZ go look at a 1LZ and 3LZ C7. Open that rear hatch and look at the quality of the carpet and the plastic sides bits. The 3LZ gets you a crappy leather wrapped dash with color stitching. Of course there are a few other items with it. The point is the base car should have had these issues resolved. Since it most likely will not then you can upgrade all you want and you will still have compromises. My $130k 2012 Centennial ZR1 had crap interior for a car at that price. The carpet warped, the leather peeled back on the passenger side dash at the windshield, the seat leather was not real leather. Oh the door panels with that fake feel rubber/plastic. I can go on but you get the point. This tell's me the C8 will be the same. I wanted to like this car but I can't. Besides it was said here earlier that you can't grab your wife/gf with that big dumb divider down the middle.

PhilNotHill and daytona355 like this.
  5. aslowdodge

aslowdodge Karting

Jun 5, 2004
    Marietta, Georgia
    I think it is an incredible car. I just hate the back end again.

Fireman1291 likes this.
  6. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I like it, but in typical GM fashion, the interior to my eyes just does not cut it..it looks awful in the pictures. Maybe it's better in person. It's just trying way to hard in my eyes.

I really nicely laid out simple set up would have really done wonders for my eyes anyway..

7. davemqv

davemqv F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Hi,

Genuinely sorry if I offended. "Suck" was probably too abrupt a word to use, and I did so without considering that there would be Corvette lovers on a Ferrari forum, which of course there would be. While I was being honest about my own personal feelings, I was just commenting off the cuff. I suppose I've come to think of most members here as being rather thick skinned. I genuinely meant no offense and I think if we all liked the same cars, life would be very boring for all of us.

Having said all that, you were certainly due your "return fire" shot on my Mondial. However, despite the rather classist subtext of your comment, you should know that I'm a very proud Mondial owner. I'm guessing you think all Mondial owners simply buy those cars because it's their only prancing horse option, but the fact of the matter is that I chose the Mondial over several other models that were within my grasp, all of which are of course more appreciated by the masses than the Mondial. If I'm fortunate enough to own some of my 7 figure dream Ferrari's some day, rest assured the Mondial will stay in my garage. But your anecdotal list of attributes for the Corvette actually illustrates why I prefer the Mondial. Since you ask "how about my car?", seemingly in relation to yours, here you go...

1) I don't care about stats. Stats are (generally speaking - please don't take this personally) for people who feel the need to impress others with their cars (an assertion I would apply as much to an owner flogging the stats of a 488 as I do the Z06). That's not me.

2) I don't care that other people find the Mondial unappealing. I'm a lover of design. The Mondial is a unique car, and the earlier cars especially (of which mine is one) are representative of a defined period of design at Ferrari. Angular lines, straked air intakes. I love the design of these cars, especially the coupes. When I look at a Corvette, or a 812 for that matter, I do not see uniqueness. I see the opposite.

2) I don't buy my sports cars for their reliability (within reason). I can't imagine doing such a thing. It would be like asking a beautiful woman for her SAT score before going to bed with her. And besides, I have a perfectly nice x1 wagon that will get me from point A to B without causing me to break a sweat if that were my major concern that day.

3) I REALLY don't care about how fast your (or anyone else's) car is. For me, as I mentioned in another recent post - Ferrari's should be about romance. While you're enjoying breakfast enjoying the thought of beating me aroudn Big Willow, I'll be in heaven listening to the QV V8 sing behind my head, inhaling the smell of Connolly leather, and relishing the response of the manual steering while I delight in "click-clack" of shifting through the gated box over and over again. When you think of it that way, why would I want my drive to be over faster?

So in conclusion, if my world turned into a version of Groundhog Day, and each morning of my life I was given the choice between my Mondial and any Corvette (sorry), I would choose my Mondial every time. I absolutely love it.

Bonus: As I mentioned, I had my eye on several other models. I was looking at the 456, the 4001, the 308 GTB or GTBi, and Dino 308 GT/4. I didn't choose my Mondial for financial reasons. I chose it for the reasons given above. But, the fact that it was the cheapest of the bunch by about 20k allowed me to add to my watch collection and buy my wife some an original 1950's Nakashima chair for the house. So it was a win/win for everyone.

But to each their own! :)

Zed82, TomAZ, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  8. Gary Sandberg

Gary Sandberg Formula Junior

Dost my eyes deceive me or is this new Corvette actually wider in the back than the front?

Testarossas could get whole other boost in collectability.

I personally love the concept of the car and think the potential could be outstanding. The problem at GM is that it seems as soon as the car is designed, built and announced, the "bean-counters" start in on reducing costs.

9. DanSavage

DanSavage Rookie

Dec 13, 2018
    Full Name:
    Dan Savage
    Thanks for the correction. Even so, it's still not a heavy car.

10. PA Wolfpacker

PA Wolfpacker Formula Junior

Aug 19, 2007
    Naples, FL
    Full Name:
    Neil
    When I look at all of the new Fcars to be released and recognize whichever one I purchase will take a $100K hit in depreciation within a couple of years it makes we want to look at the C8 seriously. There is no doubt it will not have all of the finer features of a Ferrari, but boy will it much kinder to the budget once it is sold.
    Either that or look at 2 to 3 year old Fcars.

VAF84 likes this.
  11. CChung

CChung Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2003
    Southern California
    No truer words spoken! I just sold my 6MT 430 due to one of the reasons was the fear of someone tapping my bumper and there goes the value of my car. It took the fun and enjoyment out of driving it. But there’s no denying this C8 is a tremendous value but is anyone thinking of buying a Ferrari really cross shopping a C8? This C8 is very compelling and has me thinking should I go cheap and get a C8, be somewhat smart and get a used 488 GTB to avoid the huge depreciation hit, or go all out and get a F8 and eat the depreciation loss. I’m somewhat glad I sold the 430 so I now have the freedom to think about which car I should get next, but I’m already missing that manual transmission!

Boomhauer and flat_plane_eddie like this.
  12. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    Those exotic jet fighters (F22, F35) are so expensive even we can't afford enough of them to make a full fleet for our needs.

Boomhauer likes this.
  13. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    I Vette can never eat that much depreciation !!

14. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Some simple facts for those who seem to post comments without checking them:

C8 Corvette Curb Weight: 3,366 lbs
    Ferrari 488 Curb Weight: 3,412 lbs

C8 Corvette Width: 76.1"
    Ferrari 488 Width: 76.9"

The Ferrari is both heavier and wider.

I also love those who say no true maual is a non-starter when Ferrari hasnt made one in how many years?

And people who say the styling looks derivative of Ferrari / McLaren from a few years ago? Really? McLarens all look soft like melted marshmallows. Not a hard edge or line to be found. Unlike the Ferraris from the 430 on or the Vette. The Vette doesnt look like any of them. You think the C8 looks like a 430 or 458? Seriously? (For the record- I think both the 430 and 458 are better looking cars).

Im amazed at how many people are critical just to be critical. I'll bet that if the same car was badged as a Ferrari, and was $100k more, many of the 'critics' would love it.

Styling is always subjective, and if you dont like the lines or interior of any car, thats ok. But as someone who has owned both F cars and Vettes, and raced Corvettes professionally, I can tell you that the Corvette is an amazing car to drive at the limit. The real limit- not what people think they do going to cars and coffee. It is extremely communicative, lets you know when its going to lose grip and break away well in advance, and is a massively fast car on the track. All at a price point that is a fraction of what new Ferrari machinery costs. Put a C7 Z06 or ZR1 with the same tires on it as a new 488, and lap times will be no contest. The Vette will be quicker. Google Car & Driver's 2018 Lightning Lap contest at VIR where the ZR1 was second fastest overall to a 911 GT2 RS Weissach. 6 seconds a lap faster than a Ford GT. Faster than the McLaren 720s, etc...

Chevy has done what appears to be an amazing job delivering a sub 3 second car for less than $60k, that will undoubtedly handle and brake even better than the C7 which is a hugely competent vehicle.

Chevy doesnt intend to sell a low-volume super expensive exotic. They are producing a relatively high-volume, reliable machine, which will probably kick the crap out of 99% of the cars on the road for a relatively low price. Including most F cars produced, other than a handful of those made the last few years. Kudos to them.

Why not be happy for the fact that an American car company has produced what appears to be an amazing car, at an an amazing price point. They are not competitors to Ferrari for sales. Its a different market segment. Ferrari's will always be low volume, more exclusive, and have a mystique that is more special than a Corvette. That doesnt meen that the Corvette 'sucks.'

So many bitter people on here. Get over yourselves. Jeez.

And people wonder why Ferrari owners are so often stereotyped...

15. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Great post..

daytona355 likes this.
  16. LostAussie

LostAussie Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2013
    Woodinville, WA
    Full Name:
    Stuart
    Jay Leno posted a video today.

Jasonberkeley likes this.
  17. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    There are very few cars I find unappealing visually, the first generation Panamera (though I owned one for a year and a half) was one of those cars. I cannot relate to a car having anything to do with romance, or anything other than it is merely a machine, and like any machine some are better made, some work better, and they all can be improved upon. That is all I have when it comes to a car, and without attaching any emotion (or feelings of any kind), I judge a car based on the purpose it would have for me, and how good it can be made to do whatever purpose I require it to. I also don't care what the manufacturer says are the specs, because it will not have those specs when I am done with it. I have made no secret of the fact that I would take a 4C or a gearshift Evora 400 over a 360/430, and I have owned them all. I leave it to all of you to have emotional feelings towards a machine or imply it is anything other than a bunch or parts put together to serve a purpose. To me those parts are just like tinker toys, just an adult version. I have no problem with the way the C8 looks, I am just trying to figure out what color mine is going to be.

18. Randyslovis

Randyslovis Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Randall J Slovis
    This morning I was about to write a post expressing much of the same. Thanks for beating me to it!
    In addition to agreeing with a wonderful post is that fact that Chevy has also - from the pictures - addressed one of my only issues with the old 'Vette. Making the interior better than a garden variety Camaro. The dash leather/door design now appears to have some thickness to it. Meaning, my 458 dash has what appears to be a slight padding under the leather so it doesn't look like it is just glued onto a hard surface. The pic of the 'Vette dash with close up of the wheel shows a remarkable similarity to my 458. Kudos to them.
    The thought of being able to buy a car with this kind of performance - and possibly now with an interior worthy of a true premium car - for a price of my Ferrari options - AND being able to drive it for comparative chump change depreciation vs what 6-10K miles in the first year would be on an Fcar is becoming very appealing to me.
    Best

SVCalifornia, jm2, VAF84 and 3 others like this.
  19. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Agree 100%!

DRYHOLE likes this.
  20. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    This post should be made a sticky, great job!
    I had a C7 Z06...fantastic car to drive, great sense of occasion, great looks, great sounds, reliable...but IMO actually too fast to fully exploit on the road.

DRYHOLE likes this.
  21. jjp11

jjp11 Karting

Sep 1, 2013
    Something I didn't know about until watching the Jay Leno video... Maybe I just missed it. The coupe hard top is removable. Coupes are essentially targas. Really cool.

Sent from my SM-G960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

22. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    I’ve watched a couple of reveals of the car now, and I must say, in the metal, as always, the design becomes much more cohesive, at least to my eyes. Still not convinced until I’ve driven one whether going mid engined was a good thing or not, but I’m willing to cut some slack for the moment

italiafan and Fireman1291 like this.
  23. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

Yep, one of the few remaining targa tops, and probably one of the only at a sub $100k price point. I’ve always been a fan; one of the Vettes selling points.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

I'm 360 Canuck likes this.
  24. I'm 360 Canuck

I'm 360 Canuck Formula 3

Nov 21, 2015
    Ontario, The Real One in Canada
    Full Name:
    Lars!
    Cmon....surely you’ve heard the midlife crisis jokes about Vettes before? It’s losing its punch though, I see mostly douchebags driving modern ones.
    Curious, what vette do you own? Gransport or something?
    Around here, c6 or older can be had all day long for $20k or under, so the depreciation comment isn’t offbase. I own a Ferrari today, because I decided to let go of th vette I had for 20 years would have cost vastly more to bring back to decent shape than it would be worth on the market.

25. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    We drive Ferraris, our jokes run from midlife crisis cars to genital compensation, and trust me, there are plenty of douchebags in the Ferrari community ;) (wow, we can say douchebags now?)...A dude with only 7 posts comes on here and talks that ignorant trash? What an idiot.

I currently have a 2001 Z06, 46k miles on it to date. I haven't replaced it because there's really nothing that compares for the $$. I was considering buying a new GS and selling the Z when I was car shopping, but bought the Ferrari and kept the Vette instead. It's a fantastic car that you can just jump in a drive without a care in the world. Not even a hint of a problem, other than the climate control display's gone dim recently. Bought in 2012 for under $20k and could easily sell it for around there today, I see 100k mile Z06's go for $17-18k. I've been half-assed watching the prices on the C7 Z/GS to maybe upgrade in the future, maybe even a Zr1, but now that I see the C8's, who knows?

Image Unavailable, Please Login