458 or 488 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

458 or 488

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by ttforcefed, Jul 18, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

458 or 488

1. 458

376 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. 488

168 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I don't think anyone of us, that prefers the 488 think that it is just a matter of speed.
    On the flip side of that, is the 458 crowd of whom some seem to think that the sound is the only thing of importance, and that the sound is more important that how the car drives. This makes no sense to me, as these cars are about driving pleasure.
    I like the 488 because I think it drives quite a bit better. The added power and punch is a nice bonus, but the chassis is what really sets them apart. To me, the sound is not that special, and the Pinin badge means little if the design does not speak to me. The 458 is a nice looking car for sure, I just happen to think the 488 is better looking. I also prefer the 355 to the 3u0, and I think the 430 is down right ugly. And? It tells very little about the cars, and there's not much truth to convince anybody of if you prefer something different.

If you stick a 488 engine in a 458, would that do it for me? No. But a 458 engine in a 488 would, and that because I think the 488 is a nicer platform to drive.

2. AlfistaPortoghese

AlfistaPortoghese Moderator
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    I agree with that. In time, the market will be the ultimate judge, regardless of personal preference.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

3. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Not necessarily, unless one is solely concerned with resale price as your barometer for value. I bought a brand new to my spec 488 when I already knew the incoming depreciation hit. Didn’t matter to me, because I place no value in resale. My value is in what makes me happy, smile, and enjoy

458 could be worth 2x what the 488 is, doesn’t matter to me, I got the car I wanted not what the resale market wants. I buy a car because its what catches my eye, not the market’s. Just my 2 cents!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LVP488, Napoli, Caeruleus11 and 4 others like this.
  4. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    Very good point, Sam. I get you and I like the way you think. I think that’s very fair.

Kind regards,

Nuno.

5. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Right on, we are all very fortunate if driving one or the other IMO

I’m sure we can all agree both are better than the F8

... jk :)

ryalex and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  6. AlfistaPortoghese

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 18, 2014
    Europe, but not by much.
    Full Name:
    Nuno
    That was a good one!

I have strong, longlasting and serious feelings for the 458, but take what I say with a pinch of salt, as I’ll be an extremely happy man when someday I present my new-to-me 488 Spider Blu over Crema side by side with my 458 Italia, as I’ve envisioned!

Kind regards,

Nuno.

sampelligrino likes this.
  7. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Never said speed is the only factor although I can see how my post would give that impression. But guess what, the F8 is a "better car" than the 488. Doesnt mean the 488 is obsolete but these are sports cars and the main metric we measure is performance and as the 488 beats the 458 in every metric of performance, so does the F8 beat the 488 in every metric.

You give me a choice between 488 and F8 with price being equal-ill take the F8. But a depreciated 488 vs a brand new full retail F8- different story.

I know the 458 has a cult following and I get that so kudos to the car for maintaining such a profound legacy- but the question posed was which of the two would you pick and I choose 488 all day every day. its not even a question.

8. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

I think if I were to part with my 458 Spider someday, all the fun, the tens of thousands of miles of memories with friends...I think I’ll cry...like putting down your beloved dog...not sure I could ever do it.

488 is beautiful and fast to be sure, but that doesn’t diminish the 458...and the ongoing love for the 458 doesn’t diminish the 488.
    The F8 is drop dead gorgeous to my eye...and with Pista-like engine will be epically fast...and that doesn’t diminish either the 458 or 488.

That is one of the greatest “secret sauces” miracles of Ferrari, each and (nearly) every model stands on a pedestal in it’s own spot light of glory and admiration...all pedestals standing separately...smiling to each other.

:)

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I love both, so no wrong answer. The most crucial circumstance is simply F8.
    In a different thread, I said I thought the 488 would suffer "middle child syndrome."
    Nothing is wrong with the 488, but it's stuck between the folks that love the 458 because of the looks/sound and the F8 which looks closer (some say better) to the 488 (then the 488 to 458) and is better performing.

anishka and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Italian open-top sportcar perfection...with friends a thousand miles from home in back country of Ozarks....
    Good times, great car!
    How can a sports car enthusiast, a Ferrari enthusiast not love this!?
    :)

11. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    This comment is nonsensical. The issue in this thread is which car is preferred. Not which one will ultimately be the most valuable. Personal preference has everything to do with it.

12. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    Just speaking for myself - I love the 488's looks. Saying this I am wondering if I am just biased, but it's a chicken egg thing where I bought the car for these reasons. It retained much of Pininfarina's masterpiece 458 design wise inside and out. But FCS tweaked the front to be more aggressive looking IMO, and I really like the tweaked rear with the 3d single tailights/aero bits like the blown spoiler/F1 bits like DRS and F1 fog lights (side profile 458 looks much better)

IMO F8 threw those out the window and I don't see much left of Pininfarina other than the overall profiles, side profile looks to be unchanged from 488

F8 has GPF, YMMV but I'm happy my 488 does not. Bigger problems in the world either way, and hope F8 sounds great regardless

Undoubtedly F8 will be the fastest of the 3. But at this level, performance is probably my smallest consideration as I would not be able to find the limit of the 458 on public roads, let alone 488 or F8

So I am happy with where the 488 ended up personally in between the 458 and F8. The 458 felt just a bit dated *to me*, and more beautiful than aggressive *to my eyes.* It has the best sounding engine hands down going by popular vote and if it's important to you, it is the last Pininfarina ME V8 and last NA ME V8 Ferrari. I do think out of the 3, the 458 is the most iconic FWIW. I remember the reaction when the 458 came out, still to this day

The F8 is just a bit weird and out there for me, even the SF90 seems to take more elements from the 488 than F8 looking at very minor details like the air vents (went back to fighter jet style instead of round) and the front double spoiler thing seems to come from 488, not F8

Even like the red plenum/manifold covers more on 488 than F8 :)

Fun to debate!

What it's all about!!!

13. Steinhart

Steinhart Formula Junior

May 21, 2019
    Scottsdale, AZ, USA
    I considered both and went with the 458 spider, better driving experience for my taste, in large part from the exhaust note. And because I already had a turbo sports car, 991.2 TTS Cab

This is a situation that depends heavily on personal desires: turbo vs na, older vs newer electronics, appearance differences, price, etc.

14. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Just drive the Mc or 911tt or a tuned Honda and save yourself already. Same lame 488 sound but better cars.

anishka, xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  15. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    458 Speciale

Sent from my 16M

16. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    Having never driven a F car until the day I bought my 488, I was not aware of the 458 model. Racing friend of mine has a 458 and I was picking my new car up when was having his 458 in for service. I think he liked my pick. I personally like the added HP and am happy with exhaust note. Bought a new to me 2nd 488 that had the right color and options. Been on the track 5 times now and know I like the added HP which easily catches and releases the winged Pcars!

If being in the gear to 9000 RPM makes your day vs 8000 then we are all happy!

Ash Patel and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  17. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    You may not like the 488, but that's a ridiculous statement.

In that case you might as well save yourself the 458 depreciation and get a 360CS. Sounds a million times better than the synthetic sounding 458.

Mighty Joe, WM458 and SoCal to az like this.
  18. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The one that has more preferred will be worth more adjusting for a big production discrepancy.

paulchua likes this.
  19. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Different tone and volume.
    No badge blinders.

xfrgtr likes this.
  20. sampelligrino

sampelligrino Formula 3

Apr 16, 2017
    in your opinion, which is a bit extreme but hey you are entitled to your opinion

none of those cars look half as good as the 488 including the tuned Honda, same goes for your Performante, in my opinion. Which I value more than sound actually, otherwise I'd have just kept my GT3 or upgraded to GT3RS

Funny for you to say that when you have a 488 Pista coming with an engine from the F154 family. Maybe you should be the one getting a Mac/911TTS/tuned Honda and save yourself instead :)

21. dustman

dustman F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Had those. Pista is for access.

xfrgtr and AlfistaPortoghese like this.
  22. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    I don’t know.

Considering the thread title is literally 8 characters long, I think much leeway can be taken for responses to it.

AlfistaPortoghese likes this.
  23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    You hit the nail in the head friend. You found what *you* love, and that truly is what it’s all about!

Enjoy and drive in good health!

24. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    You didn’t knew about the 458? Where have you’re been living?

ShineKen and sampelligrino like this.
  25. pdxjim488

pdxjim488 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 25, 2018
    ^ In the world of Porsches !