Bue, Bye 355? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bue, Bye 355?

Discussion in '348/355' started by johnk..., Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I'm not judge and jury I'm not taking any side. I am saying I'm THIS post he did not.

Clearly there is history I'm not privy to I get it.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

2. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    The 355 earned its reputation all on it's own, long before I bought mine. In fact, if I paid attention to what was written on Fchat about the 355 I never would have bought one. Common failures that gave it that reputation are known by everyone here: headers, cats, valve guides on earlier cars, CV boots, spider top problems, buttress cracks on Bs to name a few. And lets not forget Doug De Muro, "And this brings us to the Achilles heel of the F355: everything." And he thinks it's the most beautiful car in the world.
    But, regardless of how you view my post, look at all the joy I have brought you today. You have something to talk about rather than Grant's car that won't run, whether Tubi or Fabspeed headers are better, who's having an SDL issue..... :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Since you are throwing money around, how about throwing some my way?

4. blkdiablo33

blkdiablo33 F1 Rookie

Jul 12, 2004
    just like woman

5. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    I tend to be more objective that emotional. That doesn't mean I don't have opinions. For example I have stated in the past that I think the power steering is over boosted in the 355. I think the clutch tends to be too heavy. As a result I find the light steering and (relatively) heavy clutch out of balance. When people criticize the 355 for needing an engine out I have said, "Why don't people ever talk about the other Ferraris that require engine out service." When people say the spider top is a nightmare I have noted that mine has always worked perfectly. It's just that some people don't like criticism whether it's warranted or not.

After all, I did buy one, so I must have some mental issue. Isn't that a requirement for 355 owners? :)

flat_plane_eddie likes this.
  6. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    most people can't believe the C5 Z06 went there too... still a bang for the buck BARGAIN.

7. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    You gotta go with what puts a giant smile on your face in every aspect. I think if you have one Ferrari in the garage, the Corvette makes sense for the additional plusses - especially as a track toy.

Only minus to me on the new corvette is the dumpster fire of a rear end. Wish they would have gotten rid of the need of golf clubs which seems to be its one primary cancer. Ridiculous. But then again the corvette rear's have always looked terrible with the "attached" and chopped end piece.

I would be pretty excited about the better interior, keeping the removable targa top, and performance stats. The corvette unfortunately will never get rid of the pot belly, gray haired, 4th wife stereotype...

But that may change if they can push away from the ****ing golf clubs. :D

Robb

taz355 and tatry68 like this.
  8. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I still have 2 Corvettes.
    Have at It only you can decide what's good for you.

People hate on them but I have never been a fan of stock basic vettes I have had ZR-1s, Z06s andnold big blocks.

Maybe when they come out with a Z06 or ZR1 I'll be interested.

9. Suffyk

Suffyk Formula Junior

May 25, 2012
    Wonder how the corvette market will react to the loss of a manual transmission

10. jbwz

jbwz Rookie

Sep 23, 2015
    Libertyville, Illinois
    Full Name:
    Jack Bowser Jr
    Agree that they did a nice job on it and dollar for dollar it’s the best performance value on the market but it’s still a vette. You will get hit with substantial depreciation and see them on every street corner in six months. If that doesn’t bother you (in addition to the stereotype), then go for it!

11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    You should not sell your 355 and buy the vette.
    I made a new commitment to myself. After 50 all sports cars i want will be in my estate sale later.
    This way its not a problem with sellers remorse.

deeej84 and Robb like this.
  12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Tough crowd

The latest vette looked pretty good, this one has me intrigued. But nothing replaces my first ferrari, and it sounds like noth8ng replaces yours either.
    You seem to all ready have your dream car for the last 25 years so if the 355 does not do it for you then likely get ride of it.

i think. You would enjoy the corvette more as you get older. The 355 is just not as reliable. Even though mine has been prettyreliable its never been bullet proof.
    I may also take the plunge but not for a few years for sure.

Robb likes this.
  13. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hey my car runs fine. Maybe thats why you quit helping just so you could say that. Ha ha

Deadshort likes this.
  14. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What got it running?

15. gobble

gobble Formula 3
    Owner Regional Sponsor

Jan 29, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Ferrarifobs.com
    #40 gobble, Jul 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    The car seems interesting for the money, but there are a few things I really hate.

Look how bad it looks from the back. It looks like a $20k camaro, complete with square 80's exhaust tips.

And the interior. Just awful. Can the driver even see the passenger over that giant wall between the seats? What were they thinking? Can your average 300 pound grey haired corvette driver even fit in that space?

I've sat in a front engine corvette and really didn't like the feel. I felt like I was staring at a huge dash and hood instead of the road (like in a Ferrari). They seem to have continued the huge dash feel in the mid engine version.

climb likes this.
  16. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Lol

climb likes this.
  17. AceMaster

AceMaster Three Time F1 World Champ

Feb 6, 2009
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mike
    If you're bored with the 355, how on earth will a corvette keep you from the same boredom?

18. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #43 johnk..., Jul 20, 2019
    Most likely, ......................................................it wouldn't.

None of this would have happened if I hadn't gotten my 308 out of the garage. That car is just a joy to drive. Yea, sure, like Jimmy said, not a lot of power, but the dam thing is just so smooth and connected to the road.

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    #44 johnk..., Jul 20, 2019
    Yea Grant. What was the cure? Yesterday you posted your back hurt and couldn't work on it.

20. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Come on Mark. Why you always bashing the Corvette? ;)

21. audi_328

audi_328 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 13, 2005
    NH
    Full Name:
    Audi
    It's the vanity plates that get me...saw one awhile back with "2FAST4U" with an old couple doing 50 in a 55...just yesterday one with "AWWSOME" for a plate...

22. itsablurr

itsablurr Formula 3

Dec 9, 2005
    Carlisle, MA
    Full Name:
    Matt
    After reading the thread, I'd recommend a 288 GTO.

Wsmatau and Robb like this.
  23. bjwhite

bjwhite F1 Rookie

Mar 17, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Brian White
    Sounds like you should have gotten a 348 instead. :).

steved033 likes this.
  24. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    The back definitely reminds me of the newer Camaros The exhaust tips do not look good. It cheapens the car. As Tim stated, it is similar to the Acura NSX. I think the interior looks nice overall, but I am not sure how intrusive the console really is. Overall, I think they did a nice job. Pretty good bang for the buck. Sub 3 seconds 0-60 for under 60k. I would wait for awhile, especially due to new car depreciation and other potential variations(a high hp flared out Z06/ZR1).

25. jimmym

jimmym Formula 3

Sep 30, 2008
    Northeast U.S.
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I agree. Beautiful lines. Good performance and asset appreciation.