355 - New Volt gauge | FerrariChat

355 New Volt gauge

Discussion in '348/355' started by F355Bob, Jul 15, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Just put in volt gauge and took the clock out. Now I will know if the alternator is working. Getting stranded on the road and changing a battery on the side of the road was enough. Image Unavailable, Please Login

308 GTB, WATSON and Qavion like this.
  2. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yes almost was there myself
    You would think their battery light would come on a little sooner but it does not.
    Looks pretty good fit for aftermarket

3. krazykarguy

krazykarguy Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2014
    Fort Mill, SC
    Full Name:
    Matt
    Our alternator was all but falling apart internally (rear bearing was disintegrating), and the car was clearly having voltage issues (poor running, etc.) - but the battery light never illuminated.

4. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Looks good and makes total sense. Well done. There was another thread not long ago where someone mentioned putting that in and there was a violent revolt at the mere proposal of doing that.

Sent using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Even if your light comes on, you have just a few minutes of driving before your car is dead. When the light comes on, your windows won't go down, air conditioning won't work, instruments go weird, injectors won't work etc.

taz355 and 308 GTB like this.
  6. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

I was the one with the thread. So gauge is not stock, big deal. Ferrari should have put one in. Look at the archives and see how many 355 alternator failures there are.

308 GTB likes this.
  7. Ferrarium

Ferrarium F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2018
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I am with you, your dead right and that looks complexity factory. 355 guys are quirky apparently at least int that post. Ohh and there is a joke in there about searching archives for 355 failures but I won t go there....

8. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I was sceptical but that looks really neat! Good stuff

9. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

10. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    There's very little clearance with the stock cigarette lighter in place and the cover won't close completely over that voltmeter, Ken.

I have the Innova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor which is very accurate: Innova 3721 Battery and Charging System Monitor

Image Unavailable, Please Login

The INNOVA Battery and Charging System Monitor displays the condition of your battery and charging system instantly. It protects the engine computer and 12-volt accessories from damaging surges when jump starting or recharging. Easily plugs into the vehicle's cigarette lighter or power receptacle to monitor battery and charging system voltage. The LCD screen displays the measured voltage with a bar graph to indicate battery charge level and the color-coded LEDs quickly identify the battery's charge status. The head pivots for easy viewing and angle adjustment.

You won't be able to close the ashtray cover, but you'll be able to monitor your car's battery and charging system very accurately.

Qavion likes this.
  11. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Yup been there.
    I reverted to the cheap plug in cig lighter one and i check it periodically.
    The only reason I can not put it there is I am leaving it for my oil temp gauge because of the F1.

12. taz355

taz355 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Feb 18, 2008
    Indio Ca/ Alberta
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Great minds th8nk a like Barry
    Exact one i have. Had a cheaper one then saw this one. It is way better than my first one.

13. Qavion

Qavion F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2015
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Ian Riddell
  14. m.stojanovic

m.stojanovic F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 22, 2011
    Malaysia - KL
    Full Name:
    Miroljub Stojanovic
    My voltmeter is digital, part of my (completely modified internals) AC control panel. The voltmeter display is on the left, showing the voltage of a small 12V battery during a bench test. The right display is the clock.

15. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    There was also a member who put a digital volt meter by the instrument panel near the turn signal indicators.

16. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Ian,

The nice thing about the Innova voltmeter is that it has those three LEDs (green, yellow, red) which tell me at a glance the condition of the alternator and battery. I don't have to spend any time reading the numbers and charge graph on the display. The voltmeter has become just another gauge that I scan while on straightaways at the track. I'm sure you'll like it.

Here's a link to the User's Manual: https://img.hsni.com/images/content/pdf/486996_UserGuide.pdf

Innova makes the voltmeter for ViaTEK. You'll be getting the Innova-branded unit from Amazon.

I also have Innova's Automotive Multimeter 3340: Innova Automotive DMM

I've been very pleased with it over the years.

Barry

Qavion likes this.
  17. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    :D

It costs a bit more than the other cigarette lighter voltmeters, Grant, but easily worth the extra few dollars.

18. 308 GTB

308 GTB F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 7, 2002
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Barry Wolinsky
    Easy Volt Meter Project