328 GTS Turning problem | FerrariChat

328 GTS Turning problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Peluca, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Peluca

Peluca Rookie

Jan 13, 2018
    Chile
    Full Name:
    Michel Durand
    Hi guys, I am posting this on behalf of a friend that as a problem.
    He has a 328 GTS 1987 - manual gearbox

He tells me that on turning her feels the rear wheel kind of feels like it is getting stuck and hears some pounding noises which is quite strong.

Any ideas to what this can be?

Thanks in advance for your help...

Michel

2. BillyD

BillyD Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 28, 2004
    Pacific Northwest
    Full Name:
    Bill
    My wild shot in the dark guess with out a whole lot more information is a bad CV joint or loose wheel. Check to see if the axles CV rubber boot has failed allowing crap in and grease out.

3. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    CV joints, rear wheel bearings, shocks are about the only things that make noises on turning of the car.

4. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    couple of points:

1. All 328's are manual gear boxes... so is this the right model?
    2. Shock & shock tower bushings wear / get old and can make a kocking noise over bumps and turns (usually slow turns )
    3. if the wheel's are lose or have a spacer - the bolts can come loose or could be cross threaded ( hard to do but possible )
    4. Anti roll bar's rubber bushing can perish - and you will get noise - knocking - rubbing and or if its snapped off. you will notice handling issues as well at speed.
    5. highly unlikely but the engine mounts - or the torque mount on the engine ( top side next to FI distributer ) could be lose - rubber perished.

pilotoCS likes this.
  5. EP328

EP328 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2008
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Ed
    If this is noticeable during slow turns it may be as simple as adding limited slip gear oil additive. Mine was chattering during slow tight turns. Added a Red Line product and chatter went away.

6. afterburner

afterburner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2008
    Hong Kong
    Limited slip diff

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Along time ago, when the 328 was only 10 years old, I had one with a failed crown gear bolt. It backed out hitting the case. Made a hell of a nosie. Maybe something to check..