Genuine first world problem | FerrariChat

Genuine first world problem

Discussion in '360/430' started by Themaven, Jul 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Many people here have multiple cars and face similar problems to the one I am going to describe and I would be grateful for input. My plan for next week has been to take my wife out in our gated 430 Spider, for her birthday, to the English countryside for a couple of nights, a little tour. She loves convertibles.

Work, family, travel, and other commitments mean I get to take the 430 out on a couple of meaningful drives of a few hundred miles a year, and this is due to be one of them. Itinerary booked, weather forecast perfect (not always the case in England).

Meanwhile, Aston Martin have offered the DB11 Volante (also convertible for those not familiar with Aston speak) for a test drive review next week. I run some magazines, and a perk is getting these review cars. We need to do the review drive next week, for the next issue.

So my dilemma is: do I take my gated 430 Spider, with fresh service and new Pilot Sport 4Ss, and hand the DB11 keys to a staff member to review? We probably won’t get the Aston again for a week, and I won’t have the chance to do another proper drive in the 430 this year. Or do I take the Aston and leave the 430 at home?

Although they are interestingly roughly similar in value, this isn’t a question about which car to buy for keeps - the Ferrari wins easily there for me. It’s just a particular dilemma. What would people here do in the same circumstances? I know I am asking a forum of Ferrari enthusiasts but would anyone be curious enough about the Aston to leave the Ferrari at home?

Genuinely haven’t decided.

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Take the Aston and drive it like you stole it. The 430 will be there for the next trip

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

FerRrari, f355spider and pilotoCS like this.
  3. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Well, when is the last time that you drove the 430? You know if they sit for a month or longer without being driven you have to do the major service again and replace everything rubber.....kidding of course. One important piece you left out....is the DB11 you have access to a convertible? If not, take the 430. Your wife loves convertibles, this is variable #1. It's her birthday.

VAF84 likes this.
  4. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    Take the Aston (assuming it is a drop-top). It’s a free chance to drive a great car, no need to waste the opportunity. Just make a little extra time for the 430 afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    i wld only drive an aston over a ferrari if my kids lives depended on it - otherwise why do that to yourself.

6. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    darius, i have been married for decades, and have learned that even though my wife is tolerant of my car passions, she does not like to be jostled, leaked on, or stranded somewhere in the middle of nowhere having to deal with car troubles, especially on her birthday weekend.

take the aston, have zero issues, act like you are the king of the world in the latest dream machine, and show your wife a nice time.

then steal a weekend somewhere later in the year for a jaunt in the 430.

just my advice.

7. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    I would take the DB11 ,the missus can follow in the 430 eh?:)

VAF84 likes this.
  8. VAF84

VAF84 Formula 3

If possible take a quick 5-10 min drive in the AM. You should know fairly quickly if it’s driving characteristics are worth taking it over the F430.

I remember a few years back during a driving experience type rental in Italy, I’d just finished driving the F430 and it was time to get into the Maserati coupe. I drove it out of the facility and down the road a mile before requesting we return and take the F430 back out. In other words, you’ll know pretty quickly which car to take.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven likes this.
  9. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Just to say the Aston is also a convertible and the wife says she is equally happy in either

10. Shark01

Shark01 F1 Veteran

Jun 25, 2005
    Trust me, the wife would prefer the new Aston.....

Jaguar36 and Need4Spd like this.
  11. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Happy wife, happy life. Ask for her input. I’m guessing she will pick the Aston.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

12. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    DB11. Its comfy.

13. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
  14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    It seems overwhelmingly in favour of the Aston..and that’s where I’m going towards, decision wise. But there’s a big part of me saying that’s three days you’ll never get back driving the 430, roof down, clack through the gate, English country roads..

It hadn’t actually occurred to me that the Ferrari might go wrong. Of course it’s a 14 year old Italian car. But it has never let me down and it doesn’t feel old (like my F512M feels old). But the idea of a warning light coming on as we leave town, is not a good one. That might swing it

15. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    New Aston. You can drive the 430 anytime.

pilotoCS likes this.
  16. EnzoItaly

EnzoItaly Formula Junior

Sep 29, 2016
    Enjoy the Aston... you can drive the F430 any time... what’s the chance of really getting to know a new Aston if you don’t take this opportunity?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met FerrariChat

17. Dewinator

Dewinator F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2017
    WA
    I'd take a manual Ferrari over an automatic Aston out to the countryside 10 times out of 10, but to each their own.

Not to mention how much uglier and Mercified the DB11 got.

18. BDubbs

BDubbs Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 9, 2019
    WA State
    Full Name:
    B Dubbs
    Ordinarily I would say take the Aston, BUT since it's a gated 430.... i wouldn't miss the opportunity to put that kind of quality time behind the wheel. Tough decision.... cant go wrong either way, it's a win/win. My favorite kind of problems to have!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Exactly as you say, a really tough one. In a very fortunate way!

20. KODI

KODI Rookie

Jul 21, 2019
    Full Name:
    kodi
    Hello everyone,,
    Actually this car was never meant to run in races and the original car is owned by Pininfarina.
    This car was to be a "future car", showing mainly new safety standards. There were many innovations in it, such as a driver survival cell, multi-layer fuel tanks, a fire extinguisher system, plastic fuel-tanks, a safety-belt-system and protruding behind the rear wheels to prevent interlocking wheels.

21. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I have driven the coupe DB11 and I agree that if the Aston still had a V12, it would be an extra weight in its favour. You cannot quite savour a twin-turbo AMG V8 as you can a flat-plane crank Ferrari V8. (Nothing against AMG, I have a C63 AMG wagon (with the 6.3 litre V8) as my DD.)

Dewinator likes this.
  22. JazzyJay

JazzyJay Formula Junior

Oct 26, 2005
    Connecticut
    You forgot “pushing the car off to the side for a while” until it starts.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Themaven likes this.
  23. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    The Aston has arrived, I took it for a quick spin, I am due to leave in three hours, and I STILL haven't made up my mind.

Aston:
    New/different
    Reliable (hopefully)
    Comfortable
    Better hi-fi

430:
    It's a gated manual convertible 430!
    Much more involving

Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    Pull the cover over the 430,pull down the door but don't swipe the Aston ! Would the Aston fit in that garage ? Looks a bit tight.

25. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    I took the Aston. It’s a hoot. Blunt instrument compared to Ferrari's scalpel but they both get the job done. In the end all the advice here, even the contradictory advice, was correct. And appreciated.

About the garage, in London that’s a Large Garage. You should see the small ones, and what we fit in there..

Need4Spd likes this.