How to get antifreeze stains out of paint | FerrariChat

How to get antifreeze stains out of paint

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by 88MONDIAL, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I blew a hose after my major this springtime. It sprayed antifreeze all over my paint on the back of my Mondial Coupe. I got home and wiped it of asap and used just a detail spray and light soap and water on a microfiber and dried right away after wiping. But there are droplets of discoloration on the back deck, particularly in certain angles/light. Is there anything I can do to get rid of them??

Thanks!

2. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

I'm thinking the discoloration is from the antifreeze "stripping" the wax/sealant from the paint. Try gently re- applying your choice of wax/sealant over those spots and see if it helps.

3. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    I will give that a try, thanks for the advice!

4. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Without knowing your paint system, I would still mention 3M Finesse It, for micro polishing modern clear coat finishes.

It's not a full rubbing or polishing compound.
    But a lot of the water based paints just are more easily damaged by chemicals.

5. steved033

steved033 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Apr 12, 2017
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Steve D.
    If it's a mondial, it's probably single stage... i agree with just re-waxing, and if that doesn't work a light polishing compound, by hand.

sjd

6. 88MONDIAL

88MONDIAL Formula 3

Apr 13, 2005
    Racine, Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Jim Smith
    Thanks guys, I will give it a try. From a lot of angles/lighting you can't see them, but in others, you see the spots. I appreciate your input.

7. MobileJay

MobileJay Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 9, 2006
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Jason Cavallo
    I hope I am wrong but being single stage, this could have stained the finish and no waxing or compounding is going to remove that. I tried taking this out of a single stage on a friends car a long time ago and it got a tiny bit better but nothing really happened.