mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo | Page 119 | FerrariChat

mid engine corvette qtr panels leaked photo

Discussion in 'American Muscle' started by darkkaangel, Jul 30, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JP Manor

JP Manor Karting

Mar 7, 2018
    Agoura Hills / Malibu
    Full Name:
    JP Manor
    While the rear styling is questionable, that could be said for most sports cars these days. I won't be buying one, but you can't argue that this is massively impressive at that price point. Nothing comes close.

werewolf likes this.
  2. FerrariF430boy

Sep 22, 2007
    orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    #2952 FerrariF430boy, Jul 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2019
    Hey where's our resident C8 critic, the Mayor? Seems a little odd that he disappeared right before and after the C8 launch in this thread :p

Boomhauer and Jo Sta7 like this.
  3. noone1

noone1 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jan 21, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Mike
    #2953 noone1, Jul 20, 2019
    Except there has never been anything impressive about rear mid-engine construction. It's not like it's some exotic layout that's so advanced or inherently amazing. It's simply a design choice and Corvette were largely been outperforming Ferraris for like 15 years for a fraction of the price.

The 360 is a crap car whereas the new Corvette will destroy it in every conceivable metric. They might sell for the same price as the new Corvette, but good luck actually selling them. No one is buying 360s. Check the "Sold" listings on eBay. They sell what, 1-2 per month?

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. FerrariF430boy

Sep 22, 2007
    orlando, FL
    Full Name:
    gustavo
    As a few other members have pointed out, I can almost guarantee that had this car was badged as something else, this forum would go nuts.

Image Unavailable, Please Login
    [​IMG]

Mbutner, Boomhauer, werewolf and 6 others like this.
  5. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    thecarreaper likes this.
  6. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    Overall looks good, hope the first recall is not for something big

7. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I fail to see the relevance of your "statement of fact." I can assure you that Chevrolet has no intention of competing with Ferrari for customers, whether it be a modern Ferrari or a 20 year old one. If they happen to get a few here or there, great, but that's not the customer or the market that Chevrolet is going for.

Of course price isn't the only reason to buy something, and you're right--there is nothing wrong with selling something at a high price point if you can. That's basically the premise of every luxury good on the market. But this thread is about the 2020 Corvette, and the customer that Chevrolet is going after does take price into consideration.

Boomhauer and werewolf like this.
  8. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    #2958 Dragster, Jul 20, 2019
    When Ferrari inevitably introduces an SUV, are you going to say that it's nice they finally caught up with 2003 and the Porsche Cayenne?

I guess Chevrolet should really thank Lamborghini then since they showed Ferrari how to build a mid-engine car.

9. Dragster

Dragster Formula Junior

Jun 8, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    #2959 Dragster, Jul 20, 2019
    I have a hard time believing that since they said during the presentation that they weren't ready to talk about price yet. Not to mention, the current Z51 package is $5,000 option, and there isn't much difference in content between the C7 Z51 and the C8 Z51. The difference between the C7 base and a C7 LT3 (top trim) with the Z51 is 13K. Time will tell, I suppose, but GM knows their market and I would imagine the pricing wouldn't be a seismic shift from the current car. It's hard to realistically option a C7 coupe much past $85,000, but they certainly could go the Porsche route and allow owners to option the car to the moon and back.

Phil~ likes this.
  10. JP365

JP365 Formula 3

Mar 8, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    John F
    While Lamborghini beat Ferrari to the street for mid engine cars the 250P etc predate the Miura and where built as “road cars” for racing homologation purposes. Yes, I am aware they weren’t really street cars, but the point is Ferrari could have had a mid engine street car at least three years prior to Lamborghini. Back to the Vette, I’m looking forward to seeing it in person. Also looking forward to seeing these on the used car market in a few years. If the cars hold up, they’ll be an even greater bang for the buck then!

11. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    It was Enzo Ferrari who was not convinced that his customers needed a 12 cylinder mid-engine street car. Because Enzo said no there was zero chance of it happening. When Enzo introduced the new Daytona in 1968 it was still a front engine design in the face of competition from the Miura. Ferrari delayed progress a further FIVE years before another 12 cylinder car; finally in a mid engine design configuration was introduced.
    It took Chevrolet many decades to introduce a mid engine design for sale after playing with the idea endlessly. By the calendar at least Ferrari was faster than Chevrolet...

paulchua likes this.
  12. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Simply buy from a different dealer at MSRP and get a courtesy delivery to your dealer.

FerrariF430boy likes this.
  13. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    $600 for white paint? That sure blows the sub-$60K MSRP.

I would think white would be the least costly color to manufacture. Wonder how much more other more complicated colors run?

14. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    #2964 jimmyb, Jul 20, 2019
    It's not real. Any Corvette person can tell you those option prices are way out of line....Z51 is now 2.5 times more than on a C7...with the same package content....:rolleyes:
    An easy example is NPP (performance exhaust). That's standard on the Z51 package. And white is NOT an optional color. And "Comp" (known as "GT3" on the C8) seats did not go up by $1,500. And PDR (performance data recorder) is part of the 3LT package. And "upgraded wheels" for $3,900? Uh, no...
    And NO ONE has pricing yet...

Other than the above and other examples, he's spot on;)

Phil~, thecarreaper, Mbutner and 3 others like this.
  15. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    For me painting white on any car or repair is a PIA , almost as bad as any yellow.

16. JV's89

JV's89 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 18, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    John
    I'm looking forward to seeing one in person. The interior with that strange row of buttons/switches doesn't look right to me and I think the c7 may have a nicer interior; the 3LT version, at least. Sometimes pictures don't do justice; maybe it looks much better in the flesh.

Overall, I like the body and I love the MSRP. It's substantially less than what I paid for my 2014.

17. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    This is the best video I have seen yet on the car. At 9:25, he's sitting in the car which gives a better sense of scale of everything.

thecarreaper likes this.
  18. Donatella

Donatella Karting

Aug 26, 2007
    US
    Maybe we need to put out a BOLO..;)

FerrariF430boy likes this.
  19. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Are you buying one?

20. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Great video with lots of interesting details; including how C8 Corvette prototypes were built along side C7 Corvettes on the same production line. Nice find there James, thank you!

Curious to see which new C8 color we have not seen yet that the Corvette plant manager is choosing for his own C8 to drive...

thecarreaper likes this.
  21. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congrats!!! wishing you many more!

Cheers

italiafan likes this.
  22. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    #2972 mikelfrance, Jul 20, 2019
    There's a Corvette SUV? Really? I wasn't aware. Now, its my understanding that Fiat, Maserati and Alfa Romeo make them, as does Porsche. But I haven't seen a Corvette SUV. Maybe I need to google it.

I'm still trying to figure out why you are so angry that Ferrari made a Mid Engine V8 F1 or Manual car with glass over the engine in 1999.

I guess if the Chinese land on the Moon you won't be saying "Oh, big deal. We did it 50 years ago!"

23. mikelfrance

mikelfrance Formula Junior

Apr 15, 2014
    BTW:

If I order one (yes, I am interested in this car), this is what I would like it to look like:

Clean up the black areas with body color and get rid of the wing. But I ain't ordering one until I see one in the flesh.

paulchua likes this.
  24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Everybody 'copies' everybody else. In the words of Bono.
    “Every artist is a cannibal/every poet is a thief/all kill for inspiration/and then sing about the grief.”

The concepts in the 360 are not earth-shattering or paradigm-shifting.

Mid Engine? 1999? try 1900. Remember, Enzo himself had to be convinced of the benefits of Mid Engine.
    Aluminum construction? ("welcome to the party - 1901 Benz - modern times - NSX 91' A8 94')
    See-through window to engine bay? (-Nice of you to catch up Ferrari - Bauer Duesenberg - 1940)

But the 3 examples above are silly as others have stated because you don't compare a 1901 Benz to a 1999 Ferrari, it's apples and oranges. But the concepts utilized in the 360 are neither radical and heavens by no means 'new'. The only radical notions are the mass production and the packaging of age-old concepts.

The 360 is a great car (sorry noone1, I don't think it's 'crap') but not something that fell from space.

The Vette is not trying to be at the center of a new technological revolution.

It provides everyday super-car performance for prices where more people can enjoy that performance.

To me, that's always a win for everybody.

25. jimmyb

jimmyb Formula 3

Dec 26, 2005
    Charlotte, N.C.
    Full Name:
    James Bookout
    Yes. First in line for a convertible from the dealer I got my 2014 Stingray from.

Phil~, anunakki, JV's89 and 3 others like this.